The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Devleoping a new worming protocol for Southeastern USA

Have posted on the worming thread, and have sent a few PMs, but no responses thus far.

I am trying to come up with a better worming protocol to use for where I am currently living (NC).

What is working for you? What have you found is the best way to manage your herd/horse while keeping in mind resistance issues, etc?

I would love to keep this thread / worming programs centered around the Southeastern US..... due to different worming concerns / weather patterns elsewhere...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Last edited by naters; Sep. 21, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

From the vets I know - one of my boarders is a equine vet at the vet school here, the other just graduated from vet school - they said the "new" deworming plans all center around FEC's. Deworming for what you need to and not deworming just on rotations / feed-thru's (which increase resistance).

So now I am getting on board and will do my first FEC next week and see what happens. Know that wasn't much help, but... I am in the deep south

Thanks, that is what we are doing now, but there is a problem:

The one boarding barn within my vicinity doesn't really "do" a worming program. They rely on their boarders to do their own worming.

This bothers me because the barn owner is willy-nilly about worming her own horses (she randomly picks a wormer, to do every so often, doesn't seem to make sense).

As of them putting my horse out with a horse that I strongly suspect isn't on a good program, I am rethinking the benefits of the daily dewormer..... even with the resistance issue.

Trying to figure out if that would be a better preventative than nothing...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Think I'd find another boarding barn. The latest recommendations for Kentucky (at least my vet) is Quest Plus in the very early spring/late winter. FEC's in late summer. I worm with Ivermectin after the first hard frost to get the bots. That's it, unless there is a problem.

I would definitely absolutely totally completely go the FEC route in your case naters. When I first tested my herd, which had all had access to the same worms and been on the same deworming program, most had very minimal eggs while a few had quite high counts.

No need for me to expose most of my herd to chemicals very often - not that I mind judiciously used chemicals, but having a herd of horses and worms who/which aren't resistant to any classes of dewormer makes life easier!

Naters, we did a year of EqT's heavy duty worming protocal, and then switched to twice a year. We also have a closed herd and no concerns of cross contamination as the horses are at home with no other livestock in contact.

I have a microscope here just never thought to do my own FECs until someone mentioned it here, but I still haven't taken the intative to to it anyways.

I think if I were in your shoes I would just do more regular FEC and worm accordlying.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I emailed EqT about her worming protocol but she said JB had it.... but he/she didn't have it?
    Do you have a copy?

Unfortunately, when I was living in Aiken SC, and Ocala FL, good barns were a dime a dozen. This hell hole only has one or two decent barn and I am at the one that I felt was the most likely not to kill or injure my horse... so moving barns not really an option, though I continually put out my feelers for small private barns...

I am also worried about the things they cannot see during the fecals.... so how do I address that if I am only worming for what's in the fecal results?

As I recall, encysted SS will not show up, and tapes and bot eggs.
    So those you need to worm for irregardless. I am trying to switch to the "new protocol" myself. I used to mostly use Ivermectin,because there is still no resistance, but it doesn't get the encysted or tapes, so now I am using a combo for those.
    I'd be interested to read others programs.

Ah, I thought you were asking me what I do now, didn't realize you were looking for "The ET Schedule" LOL Let me see if I have a copy somewhere.

As for what you can't see - that's always a concern. If you're talking about tapes, then you need to target them 1-2 times a year, regardless of FECs.

If you're talking about encysted strongyles, then targeting them may be a once a year thing, or maybe it's based on your FECs (ie continued not-low counts may mean you need to target them yearly, regardless). Neck threadworms, that's another one. Ivermectin IS still effective with them, and at least one study shows that twice a year ivermectin (which you need for bots anyway) is going to take care of them well enough in all but a few horses.

Thanks JB, sorry if I wasn't clear... looking back at my PM, I sure wasn't...

I guess I am definitely interested in "the EQT protocol" but also what you are doing now, and what is working for you (which your PM explained well!)

Thanks for the infomation!

So Fecals most of the time, but then say Equimax 2x per year?

Does anyone have "the program"?

Hey naters, not totally positive if this is what you're looking for, but it's a deworming schedule I wrote down that I think EqT had posted.

Jan - Equimax double dose
    March - Quest
    May - Ivermectin double dose, after 1st bloom
    July - Quest Plus
    Sept - Ivermectin double dose
    Nov - Quest, after 1st frost

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Yep - was looking for her program, not sure why she wouldn't share it - hope its ok for you to post it here?

Just wanted to see what "the program" was...

Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    Hey naters, not totally positive if this is what you're looking for, but it's a deworming schedule I wrote down that I think EqT had posted.

Jan - Equimax double dose
    March - Quest
    May - Ivermectin double dose, after 1st bloom
    July - Quest Plus
    Sept - Ivermectin double dose
    Nov - Quest, after 1st frost

Hope that's what you were looking for.
    This schedule is in direct conflict with most new worming protocols. FECs and only worm those with high wormloads. QuestPlus once a year for tapes and encysted stronglyes. All other wormer doses based on FECs. Absolutely make sure you have a proper weight and do not under worm.

Obviously, you should follow the advice of your vet and the above does not apply to broodmares and youngsters.

naters. I think she has just gotten tired of typing it... I know i've found it Via the Search function here a couple of times when I needed to review it.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    This schedule is in direct conflict with most new worming protocols. FECs and only worm those with high wormloads. QuestPlus once a year for tapes and encysted stronglyes. All other wormer doses based on FECs. Absolutely make sure you have a proper weight and do not under worm.

Obviously, you should follow the advice of your vet and the above does not apply to broodmares and youngsters.
    This is exactly why, at least in part, ET got tired of sharing this publically. She was asked what SHE does, and her presentation of that was followed with a lot more information on WHY she does that, which has a lot to do with the type of horse she gets in for rehab.

AND, to top it off, she typically gets big horses, so her "double dose" is not REALLY a double dose - it's 2 tubes to account for spitting and dribbling and make damn sure there is no underdosing.

So, who can blame her for not wanting to put this out here and having explain Every. Single. Time what that program is really all about.

Yikes, hope it's okay that I posted that! I read alllll (!) of the NTWs thread, and actually made some notes...I jotted down her personal worming protocol. And I completely understand why she might not be eager to share...

What works for some may not work for others. IMO, it's best to read and learn all that you can and then make an educated decision based on your personal situation.

I just thought it was interesting, comprehensive, and wanted to consider it for what I am trying to do

Thanks guys!

Naters... search through the Neck Threadworm/Onchocerca thread. It's in there.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."