The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Large, hard Lump on Left side of horses face...

Vet just left, and gave a fairly unconclusive diagnosis. Call into Ins. to see if scoping and X-Rays are covered but would like some opinions in the inter-rim. It is not painful, does not cause any discomfort and is not in the nasal passage.

Large hard bump on the Left side of his head. Sits right beside the bridge of his nose.

Per vet- It is not a hematoma, not a splinter or anything else that could of gotten lodged in the gum. Not an absessed tooth ( at least not infected at this point ).

Possibles are - Calcium Deposit, Bony Tumor or the start of an abessed tooth.

Any one have any experiance with this ?

Large= about the size of a fist ( on a small person ) and not quite that prominent but its pretty large for the face area
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Bump before I fall down the page..

and I seriously need to stop googling. Not bringing me anything anyway. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Without xrays u cant rule out a tooth.......

I've seen an abcess on the lower jaw that could look like what you are describing... Took long time to heal and needed x-rays several time to see what it was and the progression.

the horse i ride has a big ol' lump on his head- forehead section, lower than his eyes and off to the side. I believe they said it was a calcium deposit or bony growth (apologies if those are in and of the same)... It's hollow, and larger than a golf ball. Poor ol' lumphead, hehehe. Doesn't bother him a bit, they worry that it may cause problems if it were to break/shatter (i think there's fluid in it???) ....OK i may be causing more confusion than anything else!! I'm sorry that i don't have any real information to add and help, except... bumpy-heads unite! :-D i LOVE that horse.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4679297_n.jpg

doesnt really show up very well in this picture (taken with a disposable) but it's below his left eye, towards the center some more.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5380022_n.jpg

that will show it a bit better, him waiting for his peppermint cookies after his bath, tough life.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

How long has it been there? What has been the progression of its growth? Is it hard like bone or can you push into it and make a dent?

Could still be an abcessed tooth. Just because the infection hasn't broken through the skin doesn't mean it isn't eating away in there. x-rays will help. If it is just a tooth, yanking it out and a few weeks of antibiotics could be all you need.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    How long has it been there? What has been the progression of its growth? Is it hard like bone or can you push into it and make a dent?
    From my understanding, it's been there a number of years- before the current owners bought him. They aren't sure if it was triggered by some sort of trauma or if it just occurred without incident. I don't believe the size has increased (or decreased for that matter) since the owners have had him, though my trainer did recently look at it and briefly muse if it wasn't getting a little larger. She didn't seem concerned about it- either she thought it wasn't in fact getting larger upon closer inspection, or it isn't a big deal if it is increasing.

It's hard, like bone. Definitely cannot make a dent into it. He doesn't particularly care if you mess with it, and will let you brush and rub his face on that spot as he would anywhere else.

What's your horse's bump like? Can you make a dent in it?? I'm curious what it could be, either way!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)