The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoosier HOrse Park fundraiser

Hi all! The Indiana Horse Council and the Hoosier Horse Park are again having a joint fund raiser on October 15th to 17th. On those three days, you can do everything from Western gaiming, english pleasure to Hunter jumper, Combined test, XC schooling and Dressage!

The Indiana Horse Council is the voice of the Indiana Horse Industry. More info can be found here http://indianahorsecouncil.org/

The Hoosier Horse Park in Edinburgh, IN is a municpally owned park. While it has been suffering alot of budget cuts, the park staff has been doing a great job. Fund-raisers like this allows the park to make capital improvements without having to go through government channels. The many organizations that use the park are able to ear-mark where their donations go. Last year, the Octoberfest show raised funds for the main dressage arenas to be able to get high tech footing. We hope to continue with those improvements this year.

I am organizing the combined test on Oct 17th (close date Oct 5th) along with the Dressage show (close date oct 1st). XC schooling will be both days: carriages both days until 1pm and riders both days from 1pm to close. Please check out the Indyeventers.org website for the CT show bill or the indianahorsecouncil.org for the entire show bill!

Please come out for a fun, casual weekend!
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

You already know I'll be there! Hopefully this year we won't be setting show jumping by headlights!

Awww LAZ, I'm sure you have fond memories of that!

I'll be there again, and I hope the weather is a little more cooperative.

yes Laz! we'll enjoy your courses again!

we shouldn't be so late in setting up. Hunter jumper is doing two arenas this year with jumpers using the stadium arena. hopefully that will go much faster!

I'm stuck in not-being-able-to-show land this year what with a "new" baby and horse who has been on and off sound. I would go if I could, so where could I send a cheque to help out anyway? I'm from the area originally and would like to see the HHP continue to be viable. (Whatever happened with the whole Edinburgh/ Johnson Co. mess anyway? I emailed lots of folks over that.) Thanks BBTB
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Default send checks to the IHC

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    so where could I send a cheque to help out anyway? I'm from the area originally and would like to see the HHP continue to be viable. (Whatever happened with the whole Edinburgh/ Johnson Co. mess anyway? I emailed lots of folks over that.) Thanks BBTB
    Thank you fox chaser!

Draw checks to the order of Indiana Horse Council, Inc.
    Send to: 225 S. East Street, Suite 738, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 attention Jim Kirkham.

Please write a memo that it's for an Octoberfest donation.

The letters that we all wrote drove the commissioners nuts . But it did help out the park!

At a recent meeting, a few pro-HHP commissioners attended with other organizations to help the HHP come up with a plan to present their budget to the county commissioners. The county, after saying they wanted a 6% budget decrease..said that they wanted a 25% budget cut from the county parks, especially the horse park. Unbelievable! What we were able to do was show the commissioners that the HHP almost pays for itself (it only cost the county $10,000 last year). Long story short, the county only had the park cut the budget by 9%. The current superintedant, who inherited a mess from the crook that used to run the park (yes, he went to jail for stealing HHP money) had already cut expenses by the tens of thousands just by honesty!

So, We are ok for now, as long as organizations and people that use the park continue to contribute! We are looking at making a foundation up and are in the initial stages...along with me volunteering to do promotional work pro-bono!

Thank you all!

I just worked the IN Whips and Wheels CDE at the HHP last weekend. What a valuable resource that park is to have in Indiana. They had I & P, T entries that filled 3 days from AL, IA, PA, WI, MI, KY, OH, SC, WV, MD, TN, IL, NY, FL, and Canada! and a few from Indiana And at the same time they had their big 2 day barrel show going too. Tons of campers and folks staying at the local motels. Even some of the volunteers come from out-of-state and stay over! It's that much fun!

They are having the National Drive there this week, being displaced by the WEG from the KHP.

I spoke to 3 teenage kids that drove up from KY just to watch on the weekend. I spoke to an elderly handicapped man in a wheelchair from Johnson County whose family drives him over to the park on weekends and it is his big (free) entertainment. He had a whole van of family there with him. Hey Tracy - maybe I should have been getting some signed statements from these people.

and p.s. that Octoberfest weekend is the bomb!! It's like a big play weekend for us and the horses.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I'm so glad to stumble on this thread. I was at HHP last weekend at the ICDE - we love that place. I'll be happy to send in a check.

Pony Grandma, thank you so much for volunteering last weekend. I know it was two long days for the volunteers, and we appreciate so much your giving up a holiday weekend so we can play. I do hope Dave cuts the entries next year, like he threatened to do this year.

Sorry to derail, back on topic...