The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Itching- help!

Since it is a holiday and I doubt that my doctor is open, I'm reaching out to my fellow COTHers for help. I'm itching. A lot. It's mostly my legs, arms, and chest, and I cannot figure out why!!! There is no rash or bumps or anything (I swell up like crazy with any kind of insect bites), and I haven't gotten any new clothes or changed lotion or laundry detergent. I would take Benedryl, but I have to go to work and it knocks me out, so maybe after work. Also, I guess I'll stop by the store for some calemine lotion, but that's about all I can think of. Any ideas/ solutions??
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Cool water on washcloths, aloe vera (like sunburn lotion) with benzocaine...

I would go with lots of Lanacaine/Lanicort cream (OTC level of cortizone)

Have you tried taking a sponge bath in tea? I know that is supposed to help for sunburn itching and pain...

Gosh, everything I can think of to cause itching involves contact (with hay that has been sprayed) or bites (chigger or fire ant bites are the worst down here).

Good luck, ans try the Lanicaine cream -- It really does help.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Mr. Chief2 has eczema and the doctor has him on Chlortrimeton (store breand is fine). I have found that if you take 1/2 of a tablet it kills the hives, rash and itching without knocking you out. Hope you feel better soon.

OMG, me too! I moved here 2 months ago, went to Seattle for 2 weeks early Aug and when I came back here - crazy itching! No rashes, nothing but itch.
    Cool showers or putting something cool against the skin does help, but I've been dealing with this since mid-Aug now. I'm on one of the 24-hr non-drowsy allergy pills...it might be helping. Or I might be getting used to it, or whatever allergen there is might be going away.

I have never been allergic to anything in my life, and I don't have the usual stuffiness/runny nose/itchy watery eyes going on either.

If I may ask at what time do you itch.. IE Like getting out of a warm/ hot shower? or just at any non specific time?

The reason I asked about the warm/hot shower ( or any water for that mater) is what occured/was dx'd with not so long ago with me.. something called Polycythemia Vera not a fun thing to go through at all...
    and itching after warm water is one of the first symptoms to appear..
    Friend of bar .ka

bumknees- the itching does not stop. Really- it's constant. Didn't sleep much last night.

Just went to the pharmacy to pick something up, and the pharmacist recommended antihistamines since there's no visible skin irritation. He doesn't think a topical would do much, so here goes the Benadryl. Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Hopefully it will go away soon!

I had something similar last year, for about 6 months I itched. No rash or anything, no allergies, I just itched all day and night! The areas varied but I knew if I itched an area it would just increase the itch and I could easily break skin itching it. Where I itched would get bright red, somewhat puffy, and raised areas that could have been hives. If I stopped itching it, it would take a half hour to an hour and a half to go away

It was odd and I am glad it has stopped.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Keep in mind that the more you scratch, the more it itches.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

FWIW when I am severely anemic I itch. Lack of oxygenation I suppose. Also certain meds like codeine and tramadol make me itch like crazy. Are you taking anything that might be making this happen?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

When I get hives, benadryl doesn't do much, but the generic of Zyrtec clears them up. It's expensive, even the generic, but works for me.

I've also had some success with camphor. Good luck!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Do the benedryl when you can ..
    Aveeno for bath...
    pure and natural for soap..at all costs, avoid the perfumed soaps and never use Ivory!
    check your vitamin intake to be sure you dont have allergy there.
    OTC/dollar general, places like such/have Anti-Itch Creme.
    and make a dr's appt.
    Itch=Allergy
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

EqTrainer- vicodin makes me itch like crazy- just like what I'm having now, but I haven't had any in probably 2 months, and no other meds...

Tried Benadryl, that did nothing. Zyterc is next.... Then possibly the doctor. Thanks again, all!

When my allergies kick in I generally get very very itchy (from head to toe - it usually starts in and around my ears) and will eventually swell up with monster hives.

Benadryl will NOT help my hives or itching, it will instead make them much, much worse. The only thing I've found which helps me is zyrtec. I take on every 2-3 days and ta-da... no more itching.

Best of luck!~

Aveeno (oatmeal) bath is great, if you have time to sit in a COOL tub for half an hour. NOT HOT - lukewarm at the most!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
    Since it is a holiday and I doubt that my doctor is open, I'm reaching out to my fellow COTHers for help. I'm itching. A lot. It's mostly my legs, arms, and chest, and I cannot figure out why!!! There is no rash or bumps or anything (I swell up like crazy with any kind of insect bites), and I haven't gotten any new clothes or changed lotion or laundry detergent. I would take Benedryl, but I have to go to work and it knocks me out, so maybe after work. Also, I guess I'll stop by the store for some calemine lotion, but that's about all I can think of. Any ideas/ solutions??
    get in the bath and add baby oil it could be yor skin needs moistursing as to dry

Your skin may be too dry... could be you just have dry skin, but itchy, dry skin was one of my first hypothyroid symptoms. Might be worth checking out! Could be allergies or any number of other things, too, though.

Try an oatmeal bath. I remember back when I had chicken pox as a kid I took multiple oatmeal baths and they were very helpful. Milk baths can also really help.