The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Craigslist post of the day. I almost wet my pants!

This is on the Jacksonville, FL craigslist I copied and pasted just in case they deleted the ad before we could all laugh together!

stalin for stud - $50 (clay county)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2010-08-28, 1:20PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-dv7wf-1924095317@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi my name is Checkers.I am a 7 yr.old brown and white paint.I have blue and brown eyes and stand apx. 14 to 15 hands.(my owner has not taped me yet)I am mellow for my age and am a sweet horse.My new owner could not aford to take me on(with the other 6 she already has)but she could not leave me were i was at.She is also helping them take care of there other horses.(for free)She has my weight back on me and I am getting a lot more excersise with the young adalts that are riding me now.But now that i am healthy, i am full of it and she seems to think that its time for me to be fixed.(sniff,sniff)I have become abit of a hand full.But she said i could work for my fixin and i am all for that.My owner is only charging 50 bucks to studd to help pay for my fixin.I am also going down to a highschool to have all this done.This is going to be a learning exp. and a teaching exp.(FFA)We do not have a truck or trailor but are will to travel.You may call and leave a message. 904-406-0992

Oh dear. Hopefully a joke. But funny in a sad sort of way.

The local high school is going to GELD the horse??
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

A lot of people where I live will do geldings/castrations themselves rather than paying a few hundred. You can buy castration kits at TSC, you know. And MECHANICALLY it's not the most difficult thing in the world, provided the horse is normal. I just hope they have tranquilizers, because he's a lot bigger than a bull calf and I don't think hog-tying is the way to go...

The irony of breeding to pay for the gelding kind of burns, though.

I think (I hope) that what they mean is that the high school's FFA (Future Farmers of America) club is going to get to watch an actual vet do the procedure. Although I don't see the point of breeding a not-stallion-quality stud to a few random mares in order to pay to geld him. Especially since gelding is not particularly expensive if he isn't a crypt ... how are they feeding this animal if they can't afford $200 or so to geld him?
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I almost want to buy the breeding (and not use it) just so it gets done.. lol.

Someone needs to let her know that Stalin died in 1953. Eh, comrade?

I'm sure this is a spoof. I don't think ANYONE is that stupid. (er....I hope??) LMAO
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    . I just hope they have tranquilizers, because he's a lot bigger than a bull calf and I don't think hog-tying is the way to go...
    But I read on here that you just tie them up by their tails and you can castrate them that way!!

(Anyone else remember that thread?)
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

You just stick his head in a boot.

Unhappy not joking

Based on the location CL ad poster, this is likely not a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia View Post
    I'm sure this is a spoof. I don't think ANYONE is that stupid. (er....I hope??) LMAO
    i beg to differ i bet if you go to ANY walmart across america... AT LEAST 50% of the population in the walmart WILL NOT KNOW who Stalin even was!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    i beg to differ i bet if you go to ANY walmart across america... AT LEAST 50% of the population in the walmart WILL NOT KNOW who Stalin even was!
    I'd bet only 20% of High School students would know who Stalin was... And that would be on a good day...
    Make that a very good day.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    Someone needs to let her know that Stalin died in 1953. Eh, comrade?
    Was that supposed to be "Standing" at Stud????

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I'd bet only 20% of High School students would know who Stalin was... And that would be on a good day...
    Make that a very good day.
    This.

I think it was supposed to be "stallion at stud," with two very important letters missing.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

not going to lie to you nice folks, the first time I read it, I pronounced it as rhyming with Palin in my head. Then I laughed at myself.
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    You just stick his head in a boot.
    LOL! I remember my grandmother complaining about the vet bill to nueter her cat... "we always just stuck their head in a boot!" ......poor kitty. But maybe that also trains them not to stick mice in your shoes

I've heard that method of doing cats too and I just really don't understand how you stick a cat in a boot without suffering a severe injury? I'd pay a vet any amount of money to avoid having to wrestle some big tom into a boot...

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I've heard that method of doing cats too and I just really don't understand how you stick a cat in a boot without suffering a severe injury? I'd pay a vet any amount of money to avoid having to wrestle some big tom into a boot...
    My grandpa used to take a hay fork, stick the cat's head between the tines, and push the fork into the ground. Then he "performed surgery" while Tomas was busy trying to get his head unstuck.
    This is what he referred to as "the good ol' days."

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    My grandpa used to take a hay fork, stick the cat's head between the tines, and push the fork into the ground. Then he "performed surgery" while Tomas was busy trying to get his head unstuck.
    This is what he referred to as "the good ol' days."
    WOW!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma