The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Let's talk show food

How does the food compare at your show venues?

Our major public facility in the state, designed to hold hundreds of horses competing in multiple sports at the same time with a huge XC course through prelim has horrible food. I will excuse the horrible service because 200 people eating lunch overwhelm 2 restaurant people (but really, maybe hire someone else?).

Two of the small private barns I have evented at have marvelous food. One always has tasty chili dogs and hamburgers. The other has someone who caters professionally I think. I had a walking taco with fresh beef, home made salsa, and guacamole. It was divine. They had lots of other fancy things as well for pretty resonable.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Aug. 17, 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    The other has someone who caters professionally I think. I had a walking taco with fresh beef, home made salsa, and guacamole. They had lots of other fancy things as well for pretty resonable.
    Apparently you haven't tried her chicken salad on a FRESH BAKED crossaint. And her awesome fruit salad that the pony and I share.

Gawd, I'm drooling now. Thanks a lot. I had to miss this past weekend.

It is the best food EVER...horse show or not. Last time she had this amazing coconut cream cake...it was like cake and pudding and coconut. To die for...so rich and delicious. I was grateful I split it with a friend or I'd have been overwhelmed by the ooey, gooey deliciousness. I've never had her breakfast (always have rides first thing), but hear those are delish, too.

Yup, really, thanks a lot. SUPER hungry now.

I get so hungry that just about anything tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf N Haf View Post
    Apparently you haven't tried her chicken salad on a FRESH BAKED crossaint. And her awesome fruit salad that the pony and I share.

Gawd, I'm drooling now. Thanks a lot. I had to miss this past weekend.

It is the best food EVER...horse show or not. Last time she had this amazing coconut cream cake...it was like cake and pudding and coconut. To die for...so rich and delicious. I was grateful I split it with a friend or I'd have been overwhelmed by the ooey, gooey deliciousness. I've never had her breakfast (always have rides first thing), but hear those are delish, too.

Yup, really, thanks a lot. SUPER hungry now.
    Let's not forget that the eggs for breakfast come from my hens, so they are free range, and fresh, fresh, fresh (as in laid that day or the day before).

Lori is a heck-of-a-cook. I always have leftovers from the show for dinner--she makes my crew care packages.

Hard to say, because I'm far too cheap to buy anything. I usually just take a lot of cut up fruit, trail mix, granola and yogurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf N Haf View Post
    Apparently you haven't tried her chicken salad on a FRESH BAKED crossaint. And her awesome fruit salad...

Last time she had this amazing coconut cream cake...it was like cake and pudding and coconut.
    So where is this eventing paradise?

I might have to move...

Well I saw the cobb salad with avocados, chicken, and blue cheese dressing but didn't get around to buying it. I also saw the fruit things they looked good.

GMHA has really good food. Not cheap, but good.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

In Area II only 2 words:

smoothie lady
    Some Fear, 'cause if you got No Fear, you ain't going fast enough!
    N3D or T3D someday, dammit!
    Member of the Geezer Event Horse Team (1981-2011)

At CHP-we have a local church group who comes out to cook. They make the best and biggest breakfast sandwiches!! I usually don't have to eat lunch cause of it!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by drjuliea View Post
    In Area II only 2 words:

smoothie lady
    I got one word for that: Hypoglycemia. Those smoothies may be tasty but they can be dangerous. Ask me how I know.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Ahhh, smoothie lady--I always call her that too. I'm assuming she has a real name. Love her (so sweet, kind, and tan! I only get burned with freckles, so envy her tan) and love the smoothies. The fresh berry smoothie is the only one I ever get. It's so good after a long, hot day.

Also, when I was at Rocking Horse 3 years ago, the huge crepes made to order. I had one with chicken and other stuff . . . and roasted almonds. It was so good, but all I remember is the chicken and completely delish roasted almonds.

I always wonder why they don't offer something lighter. Every horse show I've ever been to, schooling or recognized, only has hamburgers and chili dogs and bbq, etc. Stuff that makes you want to throw up just THINKING about eating it when you're in a very hot and physically demanding environment. I just don't want any of it. I want something light and fresh like water, gatorade, chicken salad sandwich with fruit or something. Definitely NOT something a) hot, b) that is going to sit on my stomach like a sack full of quarters!
    In the colder months I may like something hot, but I still don't feel like eating a hamburger and french fries. Grilled chicken or something carbolicious like spaghetti would be much better.
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    So where is this eventing paradise?

I might have to move...
    Come Again Farm, Sheridan, IN. The best horse show food I've ever encountered. No sanctioned USEA event there... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    At CHP-we have a local church group who comes out to cook. They make the best and biggest breakfast sandwiches!! I usually don't have to eat lunch cause of it!
    I love Reverend Barry and his church crew!

They have a blast and the breakfast sandwich is great. Proceeds earned at CHP pay for college scholarships. They've done some private catering for us personally (twice this year I have had to host 20+ senior Iraqi officers) and it has always made for an interesting meeting of the minds!

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Horse View Post
    I always wonder why they don't offer something lighter. Every horse show I've ever been to, schooling or recognized, only has hamburgers and chili dogs and bbq, etc. Stuff that makes you want to throw up just THINKING about eating it when you're in a very hot and physically demanding environment. I just don't want any of it. I want something light and fresh like water, gatorade, chicken salad sandwich with fruit or something.
    Agreed.

I eat a lot but there's a list of things I will not eat and some of these things put me at odds with 99.9% of the general public. Horse shows can be a challenge if, like me, you detest carbonated drinks, canned drinks (don't know why I hate cans but I won't drink from one; I also refuse to wear the color green and have no idea why), cheese, chocolate, potato chips and doritos/fritos/cheetos.

Now I need to get a map of the US and see where this place called Indiana is.

I worship the Smoothie Lady. I can't eat anything while eventing, but the smoothies are the best. I am officially addicted to the strawberry/banana, although I know someone who goes to Waredaca just for the burgers. But I'm now considering moving to Indiana just for the show food

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    I love Reverend Barry and his church crew!

They have a blast and the breakfast sandwich is great. Proceeds earned at CHP pay for college scholarships. They've done some private catering for us personally (twice this year I have had to host 20+ senior Iraqi officers) and it has always made for an interesting meeting of the minds!
    This is the only reason my husband wants to come with me in Sept.LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
    Ahhh, smoothie lady--I always call her that too. I'm assuming she has a real name.
    Nope, I'm pretty sure it's smoothie lady! Been calling her that for years.

The food truck at FENCE always has good good and a nice variety including yummy salads.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim