The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dover Middleburg Field Boots vs. Treadstone Field Boots

I need something for riding at home that can also go to shows in the wet weather. I've read lots of good reviews of the Treadstone calfskin field boots, then came across the Middleburg boots in the Dover catalog. They look exactly the same, and the size chart is the same... anyone know what the difference, if any, is?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/middleb...38461/cn/1407/

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=2777

I dont know about the difference, but I have the middleburg boots and I LOVE them. Whenever I wear them I get compliments and people want to try them on. they are very comfortable and really look a lot more expensive then they are!
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!

I have the exact same Treadstone's, and I LOVE them. They are so comfortable, great quality leather, and look like much more expensive boots! I rode in them right out of the box, went to a show with them, after a couple of rides, and they were great. Absolutely NO break-in time, whatsoever They fit me like a glove, and look awesome on!

I will say though, that they do run a little tall. I have, what I feel, is a pretty average leg, and they are definitely tall.......I have to really scrunch them down as I zip them up, and they still could be a bit shorter, in a perfect world. That would be my only complaint about them though!

I got mine from Equus Now also......did have to wait, because my size was on back order, but the customer service was very good, and I got them when I was supposed to I would highly recommend them!
    Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket???

How flexible is the elastic back? As is, would you say that the measurement listed is at the MAXIMUM stretch or what... (In between widths if you can't guess...)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

several people at my barn have those same treadstones and love them!! They broke in easily and are super comfy.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Heard very good things about the Treadstones..
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

For the price the Middleburgs are a really nice looking boot, and seem to be good quality. I have heard pretty great things about both. But for comparison sake Middleburg is basically the knock off of the Treadstone, Believe they are made in china.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    How flexible is the elastic back? As is, would you say that the measurement listed is at the MAXIMUM stretch or what... (In between widths if you can't guess...)
    It's pretty flexible. When I first got mine I couldn't zip them up, but as the elastic loosened they zipped right up, and the elastic looked pretty stretched, but now as the boot has loosened up a little the elastic looks less stretched. I can't say for sure about the measurements.

On the Treadstones, if the stated measurements are too narrow for you in the calf, you will have trouble fitting in them. The elastic doesn't give a whole lot. I also found the ankles to be extremely narrow (and i have narrow ankles!) so I couldn't even they them up past my low calf, and they stated calf width was about an 1/8 of an inch smaller than I thought would be ideal. Couldn't get em on. LOVED the boot though and wished I could have made them work out.

My calf measured at the max for the slims, and I was hesitant to order them, because I have never considered myself to have a slim calf But, I followed the measurements, and while they were a bit hard to zip at first, they had enough give, and have stretched, so they are perfect now......I still even have some "give" in the elastic. Very pleased with the fit.....they actually fit nicer than my custom Dehner's, and I wear them far more often
    Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket???

I recently just tried on the Tredstone french calf. They are a gorgeous boot - much nicer than you would expect for the price. They are tall, which is why I wanted them, but sadly they didn't fit me through the calf. The leather is quite nice and they are very fitted through the ankle.

A person I ride with has the less expensive Tredstones and does not like them. She says the leather is too thick.

I haven't seen the Middleburg, but they look beautiful.

I have a pair of the Treadstone's you are looking at, and they have been great. They are definitely very high quality leather for the money, and they took virtually no time to break in (tight at first, but stretched quickly). I agree the ankle is a bit on the narrow side, and they run a little tall, but neither of those things was a problem for me. Since the leather is so soft, they did fall at the ankle a good amount.

My only complaint is that the toe could be a bit more reinforced. It doesn't give much protection compared to my Ariat Crowne Pros, and other boot manufacturers. But this would not prevent me from buying them again.