The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Silly questions from a newbie!

I am going to a combined training show in a couple of weeks, and I had some questions about dressage after a friend and I ran through the test for the first time this morning.

1. Does it matter what hand you drop for your salute?
    2. a)Does it matter what hand you carry your whip in?
    b) Do you change it when you change direction, or leave it in one hand the whole test?
    3. If you actually USE said whip, do you get marked down? (I assume so)

I think that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more closer to the time... thanks!

1. I was taught to drop the right hand. Always have, assume (hope) that's correct. I've been doing it that way since 1989, no one has complained yet.
    2. Carry your whip wherever you're most comfortable.
    3. I don't change whip hands-I'm too clumsy and if I did, I'd probably forget the next movement.
    4. I just learned this past winter that one should never salute with a whip in your saluting hand. Apparently it is a rude gesture toward the judge. This was news to me and to the judge I asked about it. Anyone else know this one?
    Whips are, for me, newly allowed equipment. Carrying a whip in dressage used to be cause for elimination so I'm only getting used to carrying one now. Have fun at your show!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I didn't know that the whip rule had changed! Double check the CANADIAN rules to make sure it's allowed for dressage where you are

If so...

1. Yes, saltue with your right hand. If you're carrying a whip in your right hand, grab the top with your left hand when you gather the reins; the previous poster is correct that it's rude to have it in your hand while you salute.

2. Switch whip hands if necessary, but don't feel you have to. Make sure you can do so gracefully if you think you might need to.

3. I've never heard of anyone getting marked down for using their whip to subtely reinforce the aids. If you're using it to administer a needed smack, you'll likely get marked down for the resistance that necessitated the smack, not the smack itself. You WOULD be marked down for using it inappropriately.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday's Child View Post
    b) Do you change it when you change direction, or leave it in one hand the whole test?
    I haven't had to ride with a whip (yet) but my trainer suggested that if and when I do ride with a whip that I not switch the whip over during the test as it would just add complexity that I so don't need.

Check out this great picture of a friend of mine. This is what could happen if you try to salute with your whip in your right hand!

http://rickncheryl.smugmug.com/galle...07285141_4zdWX
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ibex - good call. After some internet research, it looks like whips are not allowed in dressage in Canada... however this is a smaller schooling show (it's actually called "Don't Bother to Braid" and we are allowed to wear polo shirts!) so perhaps they will waive that rule.

Jenm - love the pic! That is totally something that I would do

Keeping the whip in one hand seems to make the most sense as I am not that coordinated either! Thanks guys!

Yeah - for an unrecognized CT, call the organizers! Also check to see if there's anything about "schooling tack allowed"... usually that means "do what you need to do". I went in a "schooling tack allowed" dressage show in a German Martingale.

Our rules are usually about a year behind the US...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Whips are, for me, newly allowed equipment. Carrying a whip in dressage used to be cause for elimination so I'm only getting used to carrying one now. Have fun at your show!
    We can carry whips now? When did that happen? I guess its been longer than I thought since I last showed .