The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Spraying Raid ON the horse

Yes, Raid. The stuff in the blue can. Not the stuff in the green can.

Went to watch a friend's breed show over the weekend and they were merrily spraying Raid on all the horses b/c, as we all know, nothing else works. To their credit, not directly on the face, but pretty much everywhere else.

As an Evil (Organic) Chem Prof such things are probably less apt to alarm me than some people, but this just seems like Not A Good Plan.

Experiences? Discussion? Comments?
    The Evil Chem Prof

i have more of a comment then experience...IMO i would be worried of my horse getting poisioned or sick,if my horse licked or scratched his body with his mouth by spraying raid on him/her..i haven't heard anyone spraying that on horses EVER.there is different ingredients that i believe are more harmful.even though most horse fly repellents don't work most of the time,i am more at ease that used properly(not soaking them in it)that my horse isn't going to get sick using products just for horses.so yes i see that as not a good plan either.

Raid? ON the skin coat?

Uh.. no. Never.

These people have never seen a bad allergic reaction or a chemical burn. Then again, neither have I. Stupid is as stupid does.

Just...WOW. Raid isn't something I would want me or my horse to breath in or put on either of our bodies.

Fly sprays are designed to repel flies for the most part....Raid has ingredients that actually KILL....not something I want to use as a fly spray.

People amaze me when they dont think things through.

I saw this at a QH show once, and couldn't believe my eyes.

Whenever I get even a drop of Raid on my own skin, I scrub all over like crazy immediately. That stuff is TOXIC. What else do they put on their horse, gasoline?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

oh dear. on the website it says:
    Directions for use:

Shake before using. Point spray nozzle away from face and press button, holding container as upright as possible.

Indoors:
    1. Remove pets, birds prior to application.

2. Shake before using. Point spray nozzle away from face and press button, holding container as upright as possible.

3. Flies, mosquitoes, small flying moths, Asian lady beetles, gnats, fruitflies: With Raid ® Flying Insect Killer there is no need to spray directly at flying insects—the mist in the air will kill them. Close all doors and windows. Spray Raid ® Flying Insect Killer up into the air with a sweeping motion, keeping about 3 feet from interior walls, fabrics, and furniture, until room is thoroughly misted.

4. Do not remain in treated area. Keep room closed for 15 minutes. Ventilate room thoroughly before re-entry.

5. For fast knockdown, spray directly at insects, keeping about 3 feet from interior walls, fabrics, furniture. In kitchens, be sure to treat areas that may attract these insects such as around windows, sinks, and garbage cans. Cover or remove exposed food, utensils, and food handling equipment.

Caution: Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Provide adequate ventilation of area being treated. Do not apply to humans, pets, or plants, or contaminate feed, foodstuffs, dishes, or utensils. Cover and avoid spraying fish aquariums. Cover or remove exposed food, dishes, utensils, and food handling equipment. Keep out of reach of children.
    I wouldnt want to expose myself to such a chemical, I would never apply it to my horse.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Which formula is it? Some of them are only in the pyrethrin/permethrin family, and we merrily spray those all over our horses in the form of "regular" fly sprays without blinking. However, if there was a formula containing organophosphates I would consider that extremely nasty.

The propellents might be a bigger problem than the actual anti-insect stuff.

I still wouldn't do it.
    Click here before you buy.

POISON> it will get into the BLOODSTREAM> call these idiots and tell them to stop doing this. OMG.

I was wondering what the ingredients are also. I had a similar thought to DW's but wow...that does seem like some strong, toxic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    What else do they put on their horse, gasoline?
    Sure, why not. The big lick crowd uses diesel fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Sure, why not. The big lick crowd uses diesel fuel.
    Karosene on the legs of jumpers back in the day.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Raid does, or used to, have a flea/tick formula (in the purple can) that was intended for use both on and around pets. That said, I wouldn't spray that stuff on animals either. I am only an evolutionary biologist and know jack squat about organic chemistry, but you couldn't pay me enough to spray the stuff in the blue can directly on any vertebrate.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

I've used Off for years on horses with no bad effects. However, Off is a repellant. Raid is a insect killer, not a repellant. I suppose you could use it to kill insects that are ON the horse? Maybe that's their goal?

Quite frankly, I've been tempted to carry around a can of the stuff while those nasty horse and deer flies are dive bombing. I think my horse would thank me for it.

No, I wouldn't use it. I don't even like spraying it in the house because of the cats and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    Karosene on the legs of jumpers back in the day.
    Really? To what end?

@Aventura 2: What is the big lick crowd?
    "One person's side effect is another person's desired effect." -The Vice Guide to Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll

Kerosene: sensitizes the skin and makes it "smart" if the horse hits a jump with raw, irritated skin.

Big Lick: Tennessee Walking Horses with the big, exaggerated gaits.
    Click here before you buy.

Oh, my word! I can't believe that. I don't even use Raid at all. It just gives me the creeps.
    However, I saw 2 kids at a 4-H show recently spraying their horses with WD-40 before the fitting and showmanship class. I know that many of them use WD-40 on the hooves on top of the hoof polish, but we don't even do that. I've read that WD-40 is very drying. I can't imagine what a horse's coat will look like after a summer of sun and WD-40.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

This was Paints, not QH.

Since I don't have the can in front of me, I don't know what the ingredients are. I found the MSDS for Raid Flying Insect Killer from 2008 and the ingredients are: BUTANE DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT PROPANE, ISOBUTANE, TETRAMETHRIN, PERMETHRIN, SODIUM NITRITE, D-ALLETHRIN.

So the ANE stuff (first three ingredients) are presumably propellants and the THRIN stuff is pyrethrin/permethrin. Sodium nitrite--used to preserve meat and ???--so not so sure about that one or even how they get it to mix with all the alkanes. All assuming that this is the right formula...

But you guys have pretty much confirmed my initial reaction which is that I wouldn't want it sprayed on my horse.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Blue can in my hand. SO used it in the garage. IT has Permethrin .10%,tetramethrin.35%,d-cis/trans allethrin, other ing. 99.45%, contains sodium nitrate.

Quote Originally Posted by WaningMoon View Post
    Blue can in my hand. SO used it in the garage. IT has Permethrin .10%,tetramethrin.35%,d-cis/trans allethrin, other ing. 99.45%, contains sodium nitrate.
    The biggest difference may be the "other ingredients 99%" which is the part where they don't bother making it safe to be on people's skin, because it's intended to be sprayed on your floor or walls.