The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

We have a filly, born very unexpectedly around 5 this morning...Tuesday morning. She is beautiful and perfectly formed.

But get this, the mare was bred 7/31 which would make the foal due 7/6. So she is about 6 weeks premature. She doesn't look like a preemie. She has had a hard time getting up on her own. She couldn't get her little tiny mouth around Mom's nippie, but is now nursing. She's a little wobbly. She needs your prayers and jingles.

The really odd thing is that the mare was bred by stallion "A" using frozen semen a month before the 7/31 breeding by stallion "B". The vet said the frozen didn't take, so she was bred on 7/31 using deep horn insemination and fresh semen.

Is it possible the mare could have actually been preggers by stallion "A"? If she had been, would deep horn insemination have aborted that fetus? I've got to have a DNA test done to be sure...but what do you think?

Bonnie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tina3_friday.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	6551  
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

We have a filly, born very unexpectedly around 5 this morning...Tuesday morning. She is beautiful and perfectly formed.

But get this, the mare was bred 7/31 which would make the foal due 7/6. So she is about 6 weeks premature. She doesn't look like a preemie. She has had a hard time getting up on her own. She couldn't get her little tiny mouth around Mom's nippie, but is now nursing. She's a little wobbly. She needs your prayers and jingles.

The really odd thing is that the mare was bred by stallion "A" using frozen semen a month before the 7/31 breeding by stallion "B". The vet said the frozen didn't take, so she was bred on 7/31 using deep horn insemination and fresh semen.

Is it possible the mare could have actually been preggers by stallion "A"? If she had been, would deep horn insemination have aborted that fetus? I've got to have a DNA test done to be sure...but what do you think?

Bonnie
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

I can't answer your question but I will send my jingles. I am interested in the outcome of this though, please keep us posted.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I have nothing to add but my jingles!!

Yes, this can happen. I think it was Liz Hall of Silverwood Farm who reported that this happened with one of her client mares. I think the mare was bred to one of her pinto stallions and then on the next cycle the mare was bred to a solid stallion. The mare had a pinto foal.

JINGLES!
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Lots of jingles!

Lots of jingles from Ohio!

If the foal is OK without equine ICU at 6 weeks early I'd sorta be thinking it's stallion A. Then that would only be 3 weeks early and consistent w/ a little small but fully formed.

Jingles from NY
    Spruce Hill Farm

Member/co-founder of the boot to the head clique. Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique.

Lots of jingles from me as well. I sure don't know the answer but I hope she's OK!

Lots of jingles here !!! Breeding is tough on us sometimes and is kepping some mystery !

Hope your girl is OK.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

I with Camohn, sounds like stallion A to me. Best of luck. Jingling like crazy from the hot, humid South.

Premature foals have distinct characteristics. Their forehead is usually rounded, the hair on their body is more long and silky and often the ears are curled inward. Your Vet should have noticed this. If the IGG is over 800 - and all other vitals are normal I would suspect this may be a longer term baby.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Jingles from NY too! A few years ago Our mare fooled everyone for three months that she did infact catch at a breeding. She was ultrasounded, palpated etc. The vets even gave her two injections of Lute to bring her back into heat. Well low and behold, at three months along Yup you guessed it, there was the fetus.

That foal is now our 3 year old stud named Miracle. I would wager to guess it is Stallion A too. Good luck with the baby!

Jingles for the little filly from the deep South! Glad she could get up and nurse!
    PennyG

As ise@ssl described, premies are noticible in that they have a distinctly domed forehead,too soft a coat, ect. The lungs and I believe the palate are not formed as they should be. How are her vitals? That will tell you alot. I would tend to think stallion A.
    LOTs and LOTS of jingles from the Midwest---
    Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Big old Texas sized *JINGLES* for your little early bird.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShowjumpersUSA:

Bonnie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possible but not particularly likely. In order to do the second insemination, your vet would have had to go through a closed cervix and that would have probably disrupted any previous pregnancy. If the cervix was relaxed and open when he inseminated, then it is highly unlikely she was pregnant from the first insemination. That's not to say that it never happened...in horse breeding, NEVER say never &lt;smile&gt;...

With that said, fetuses that are compromised (placentitis, sick mare, etc.) will often go through an accelarated maturation....so with that said, what'd the placenta look like? If it indeed didn't look quite "right", the foal should be treated as a compromised foal and placed on an appropriate broad spectrum antibiotic.

As Ilona said, make sure you have the foal's IgG levels checked, as well...

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com
    <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Check olut our spring enrollment special!</span>
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Can't help you with what happened but sending jingles that the little filly pulls through and ditto on getting an IGG done.
    Julia in Nokesville, VA

Jingling from Georgia for you little filly.