The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Striding help please

So, I was setting fences today and was setting up a one stride and a two stride combinations and walking them out, they don't "look" correct. I know it has been awhile, but really....

Please refresh my memory on the striding for a one, two, and three stride combinations. Also, what is the setting for a placing rail both at the trot and canter into a fence and between fences.

TIA!!!!

The magic formula is...

12' for each stride, 6' for landing, and 6' for take off

Therefore...

Bounce = 12'
    1 stride = 24'
    2 stride = 36'
    3 stride = 48'
    etc...

Usually in grid work, we work with 18' 1 strides coming in. The measurements above are usually competition striding.
    Last edited by CatchMeIfUCan; Jul. 19, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

most people put a placing pole for trotting in at about 9' (a little closer for really small fences)...role it out to 10' for cantering.

24', 36' and 48' are for cantering in (normal striding horse 3+ fences)...and can ride a touch long depending on your horse and the size of the fence. And depending on what you are working on...you may want to adjust the distances. For example...and exercise that I did last week was verticle 22' verticle 45' oxer. It rode as a quiet one stride to a normal three stride (fences were 3'3ish). Going both ways was a nice gymnastic exercise.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 19, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Are you riding a regular-sized horse, a pony, or a small horse? Is its striding considered normal in length? And how high are you planning for the heights of the jumps? Striding is very different if you're doing 2''6" or 3'6"! Also, is this a training gymnastic? The striding mentioned already is if you are cantering full-sized jumps on a not-small horse.

This may be missing your point, but my first jump into a gymnastic is often just a simple trot X, and for a horse, the placing pole would be about 7' from the base of that X, fence #1. The distance for a one-stride between the X and jump #2 is about 18' (cantering), and the distance for a one-stride between #2 and #3 (cantering) is about 21'.

Also, if you want to use a placing pole in between elements of a gymnastic or combination, that can be done only when it is a one-stride between elements.

Are you riding a regular-sized horse, a pony, or a small horse? Is its striding considered normal in length? And how high are you planning for the heights of the jumps? Striding is very different if you're doing 2''6" or 3'6"! Also, is this a training gymnastic? The striding mentioned already is if you are cantering full-sized jumps on a not-small horse.

This may be missing your point, but my first jump into a gymnastic is often just a simple trot X, and for a horse, the placing pole would be about 7' from the base of that X, fence #1. The distance for a one-stride between the X and jump #2 is about 18' (cantering), and the distance for a one-stride between #2 and #3 (cantering) is about 21'.

Also, if you want to use a placing pole in between elements of a gymnastic or combination, that can be done only when it is a one-stride between elements.

Does "it depends" work as an answer. Depending on the horse I am working with and what we are trying to accomplish, I can set all kinds of different stride lengths for work at home. A hunter course at a show, will generally be set on 12' strides.

Kick the distances in (meaning use less than a 12' stride) if
    the jumps are smaller than 3',
    you are in an indoor,
    the horse or rider are pretty green, better to let them get there comfortably than reaching,
    going away from home/gate,
    the footing is really deep,
    the fence is really spooking (or the thing behind it, grandstand, etc).

I am sorry to contradict you CMIUC, but I would not use a 6' placing pole at a trot.

Generally, for a shorter strided or timid horse I will use a trot rail at 8'. 9' for a bigger strided horse, think double whatever they are using as trot rails, 4'6" becomes 9', 4' becomes 8. 9' is also appropriate for a canter placing rail.

A bounce from a trot is 9'6" to 10'6", from a canter 10' to 11'6".

In general I use something shorter at home than competition stride. Horses generally are more "going" on course at a show than they are at home. You also don't want to teach them to jump long and flat. If I set a 60' line at home, I will do the add 3 times (5) and the step once (4).

It really helps to have someone standing there to make adjustments for you based on the quality of the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post

This is what I do as well.

Horse is a 17hh TB who has normal striding, can lengthen or shorten when asked.

Horse is coming back from an injury and wanting to bring him back slowly and just do basics/ gymnastics work.

This is an excellent reference thread! How do we get this stickied somewhere? thanks everyone!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

There is a big difference between the distances for gymnastics, and the distances for courses.

For gymnastics, see Jimy Wofford's Gymnastics, or Linda Allen's 101 Jumping Exercises.

For setting courses, See Richard Jffries guidelines on the USEA web site.

Show Jump - ArcsPDF76K2006Show Jump - Check ListPDF15K2006Show Jump - Degree of Difficulty in Fence DesignPDF132K2006Show Jump - Distance for HorsesPDF14K2006Show Jump - Metric Conversion TablePDF8K2006Show Jump - Normal Stride DistancesPDF8K2006Show Jump - Suggested MaterialsPDF18K2006Show Jump - Suppliers of Metric Cup Systems & FEI Approved Breakaway CupsPDF27K1206
    on
    http://www.useventing.com/education.php?section=docs
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).