The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When coats are waived at recognized shows...

The USEF rule book says if coats are wavied, a solid white or very pale colored long or short sleeved shirt. No t-shirts or neck wear.

I am looking into new shirts for this summers show season.

I have shown in the Rider Sport (both the white with purple trim and the pink trim). http://www.doversaddlery.com/riding-...1-20537/cn/24/ I have never had a judge say anything. But this shirt is HOT, too thick for summer. I was at a recognized show a few weeks ago and saw riders in all colors of shirts. I saw one in particluar that was a light blue, but pretty dark (if that makes sense).

I bought a romfh today at the tack store. They call the color thistle. It looks like a dingy white/light gray to me. I think it will be fine, but I would hate to be eliminated for something stupid like the color of my shirt.

I can never get a white show shirt and white breeches to be the same color white. I show in white FITS breeches.

What colors do you show in once coats are wavied? Of those you you who have seen the "thistle" color, what do you think?

I prefer to show in my coat even when coats are wavied, but98 degrees with humidity is not worth riding in the coat.

I'm pretty sure this rule has been changed to any SOLID color shirt, though it might not take effect until next year. Aside from that, I have always just ridden in a nice lightweight polo. You can find cheap ones at WalMart that are perfectly acceptable. My last one was $10.

The thistle sounds acceptable to me based on your description - however, I recommend you ask the TD at your next show. I've seen many a TD asked and they cite the rulebook re light/white... but they also will give you a "that's too dark" comment.

Otherwise, ask show management to ask the judge what he/she finds acceptable.

Hampton Bay is correct: the rule now says solid or nearly solid, no more pale requirement. Thistle sounds fine.

Thanks. I found the new rule on the USEF site under the 2010 supplement to the Rule Book.

Competitors may wear solid or nearly solid short sleeved or long sleeved shirt with a collar without decoration.

I wish I had of looked this up sooner, there was a really cool looking lilac shirt at the tack store that would have been legal. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    "I don't know why they all think they'll look better with a coat, they just look stupid and hot".
    No, riders in jackets do not look 'stupid'. Riders, especially those large breasted and overweight, are the ones that would look better keeping the jacket on. Why detract from your horse by looking like a white glacier.

It's easy to figure out which show you were at, so the judge had to be either Gwinn, Freeman, or Devoe. Since Gwinn is a real stickler for appearance, I don't think it would have been her. I would be surprised if Freeman would say something out of line like that, so it must have been Devoe. I'm curious who it was, because I show under Gwinn and Freeman often, and wearing a coat always.

Its not that they "look" stupid, its that they ARE stupid for risking their health for the sake of appearance. Heatstroke is not something to be fooled with. Admittedly, people's tolerance varies and maybe TonF is favorably endowed in this ability.

Those overweight ladies that might look better in a coat are the ones even more predisposed to heatstroke, so to criticize them for not wearing one when they probably know their bodies better than you is petty.

I doubt a single judge would admit they have a predjudice against coatless riders - it is legal after all. If anyone ever gets a comment about turnout related to coat, I would hope they would fill out a complaint to the USEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffon View Post
    Its not that they "look" stupid, its that they ARE stupid for risking their health for the sake of appearance. Heatstroke is not something to be fooled with. Admittedly, people's tolerance varies and maybe TonF is favorably endowed in this ability.
    I know a lot of people here don't have shirts suitable for wearing without a coat under their coats are shows - they're wearing tank tops with bib-type neckware to minimize hear without the expectation that coats will be waived. Mid-summer, yes, folks expect waived coats as it'll be over 100 degrees, but spring and fall people often get caught unprepared. Then, I think they're just unprepared, not stupid.

(I've learned from it happening to others, so will attempt to not make that mistake!)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I buy polos. Our local department store had several in light shades that were attractive. I ended up with lilac, pink, teal, and a nice shade of green.

I like collared hiking shirts.
    They wick sweat to keep you cool, have SPF protection, are cut nicely and come in many colors.

I agree with Schiffon...how ridiculous to risk your health just to look pretty. If you, as a spectator, don't like seeing fat girls ride, don't watch them ride their tests. Plain and simple. Oh, wait...a lot of people LIKE watching the fat girls ride because it just gives them something to complain about and someone else to make snarky comments about as well. I, personally, am not going to dink around with heat exhaustion just because my big boobs, tummy, and J-Lo ass happen to offend everyone else. Just be thankful that at least I'm not out there cranking my very willing and patient horse into some fake ass frame and pounding on her back because I'm incapable of riding correctly.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

LOL, well I'm overweight and still a bit overendowed, and short and shortwaisted to boot.

I prefer the term "stout" actually.

Most short fat people agree that the monochrome look is best, don't cut an otherwise short chunky object into shorter chunky objects.

The trick is to avoid tucking the shirt in. It doesn't have to look sloppy, find a shirt with princess seams that ends a few inches below the waist. I've seen them in the Dover catalog, but then again, I don't show
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have a nice navy polo that looks nice with my liver chestnut mare - I show in that for schooling shows. For recognized I show in a plain while short sleeved show shirt with collar open.
    Sandy in Fla.

For those worried about jackets being waived and not looking "good" without, why not go with the new rule that allows a lightweight vest? I just purchased an inexpensive but fitted/tailored saddleseat vest in navy to wear on "those" days. It's neat, tidy and no where near as heavy as a frock or tails. By next year I'm willing to bet the dressage market will be seeing far more expensive versions. They also will allow a coolmedics vest or something similar to be worn under or without a coat in the interest of health and safety; but, I don't have the pennies to spend on something like that.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

If they waive coats it's for your safety. Who wants to get the vapors in a pirouette and go splat? Take the coat off!

Any decent sporting goods store carries high-tech short sleeve shirts- golf shirts, polos, call them what you will. Columbia is my favorite brand, and the Lady Hanes aren't bad either.

Lose the coat so you don't end up being yard darted when the heat gets to you. That just makes sense.

The hiking shirts are nice, and keep you cool. Since they aren't geared toward horse people, you can find some good deals, too!

The FITS waffleweave shirt, in white or champage (pale peach) is nice and very light. They are spendy, around $65, but they are pretty nice, well-made, comfortable and cool. We only ended up with one because it was a high-point award. My daughter was the only JR rider at a schooling show this winter -- she cleaned the place up!

So, my daughter is doing some clinics and a young rider camp this summer. For the young riders, they are fairly strict, I imagine to limit distractions. She didn't really want to spend a lot of money on polos that she won't wear to school and that are used for riding anyway so are prone to "horse dirt." We stopped at our local GoodWill and picked up four polos for under $25. Three are Aropostatle (sp?) (popular with the kids), and one was from Lacoste, with the tags. She found white, very pale pink, sea green and black. Just a thought for anyone trying to save some money on riding clothes.

Several judges have told me that they dislike seeing riders in jackets when jackets have been waived for heat.

In fact, they wish it were possible to "ban" jackets instead of just waiving them.

But I am sure there are other judges who think otherwise.

Just don't think that sweltering in your jacket is necessarily going to make a good impression on the judge.

With regard to tucking in, the Dressage rules don't seem to say anything, but the Eventing rules say that the shirt must be "neatly tucked in".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).