The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to make a slow feeder with a Rubbermaid trough?

I have these in my dry lot:

The horses sometimes pull the hay out-I would like to make it a slow feeder-maybe add some kind of grate on top?

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited for wrong link!!
    Last edited by LMH; Jun. 23, 2010 at 07:34 PM.

That link goes to an article on mustangs.

I'm going to assume you mean you have the oval black rubber troughs?
    You can make a slow feeder from these.

Your options are either to go online and find a place that makes custom grates, give them the dimensions of the trough and have them send you one. Believe it or not, they're rather inexpensive. You can get them made for around $25-$40 depending on size. You want 2" holes. Then attach to trough by drilling 4 small holes in the bottom, screw through 4 eye bolts with the eyes on the inside and put nuts with washers on the exterior bottom. Then buy a small package of mini-bungees. ($2.99 at home dept) Hook bungees on all 4 eyes and then crimp the hooks closed so they stay put. Add flakes of hay, then reach underneath and stretch bungees up, add grate on top and hook top ends of bungees onto grate. The bungees hold the grate down and keep it tight to the hay until it's gone.

Or you can add the eyebolts as stated iin the bottom, buy a small hole hay net and fill with hay. Knot the top draw rope to hold it close. Using 4 double end snaps, clip hay net in 4 places to hold flat in trough.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

LOLOL! Yes I meant the large ones you described.

Thank you for the description-I will give the small hay net a try!

I already have several holes drilled in the bottom for water drainage-so what about just adding some hay string between two holes to snap to?

Saves the trouble of drilling more holes and hardware?

Should work, as long as the hay net can't be yanked out, dragged around, stomped and pooped on.

I use the small hole hay nets and tie them to fence posts in turnout. I tie mine tight to the post, but close to the ground. Works very well.

Hay in the nets outside lasts anywhere from 4-6 hours; since they can't snarf it down in big mouthfuls they tend to relax and eat a lot slower. I usually put about 6-7 lbs per net each feeding.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Default Slow feeder custom grates

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    That link goes to an article on mustangs.

I'm going to assume you mean you have the oval black rubber troughs?
    You can make a slow feeder from these.

Your options are either to go online and find a place that makes custom grates, give them the dimensions of the trough and have them send you one. Believe it or not, they're rather inexpensive. You can get them made for around $25-$40 depending on size. You want 2" holes. Then attach to trough by drilling 4 small holes in the bottom, screw through 4 eye bolts with the eyes on the inside and put nuts with washers on the exterior bottom. Then buy a small package of mini-bungees. ($2.99 at home dept) Hook bungees on all 4 eyes and then crimp the hooks closed so they stay put. Add flakes of hay, then reach underneath and stretch bungees up, add grate on top and hook top ends of bungees onto grate. The bungees hold the grate down and keep it tight to the hay until it's gone.
    MistyBlue- Can you point me in the direction of where to find a company that makes custom grates like what would be needed to convert a 100 gal poly tank to a slow feeder? I searched online but no luck

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsehannah View Post
    MistyBlue- Can you point me in the direction of where to find a company that makes custom grates like what would be needed to convert a 100 gal poly tank to a slow feeder? I searched online but no luck
    If you have a way to cut it to size and grind the cuts smooth, you can make your own out of heavy welded stock panels like this: http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page3/
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I've always worried that a metal grate would eventually cause damage to the front teeth; any thoughts on this?

I was wondering if you could make a similar grate with snow fencing. It already has small holes and is easier to cut than a metal grate... Can anyone see a hazzard with using snow fencing?

Default small mesh hay net attached to barrel

my husband made a couple of these...they are awesome. also, lots of good ideas on this paddock paradise web site

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/...feeder+at+work

Here's a place that sells them. These are easy to snip to size:
    http://www.allendesigners.com/
    Or you can check out closet systems in a Home Depot type store, that's coated wire and also easy to snip to size.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorselover View Post
    my husband made a couple of these...they are awesome. also, lots of good ideas on this paddock paradise web site

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/...feeder+at+work
    Those are mine