The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clipping Foals for Early Inspections

Hi all, I body clip my foals usually since they end up looking rediculous with their half shed out and fuzzy coats. They usually attend an August Inspection. This year, they will be attending a much earlier inspection (July 12), so I'm wondering if it's necessary to body clip.

For all of you who are bringing foals to earlier inspections, will you be body clipping your foals?

I clipped two of the 2010 foals last week. It is just so hot in MD right now!

We have clipped several of our babies simply due to the heat alone. I always think they look prettier clipped but this year it has been more functional than anything!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I clip mine too, but this years foal's coat is so short. I am guessing it has something to do with her being almost 3 weeks early. I don't think I will have to do hers.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

We never clip out foals - we are in the Northeast and don't want to affect their winter coats. As far as shedding out the "milk hair" - we just use the pumice blocks to scrape it off.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

We have clipped ours already. Way too hot and humid for that thick long hair.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Not attending inspections but usually clip my foals in early June due to the heat here. I would absolutely clip now if I were attending a late summer or fall inspection.
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

I usually clip my foals mid to late June because it is hot for a thick coat. Not a perfect or always pretty job, but it does help them be cooler.

I was just wondering about this the other day as my colt still has a pretty thick coat and it is terribly hot and humid lately. I am not taking him to any inspections but thought about doing it for comfort.

SOOO, Sorry to hijack but... How does one clip a baby? I am guessing they are not thrilled by the process? He is pretty smart and sensible but I'm not sure he'd be an angel to clip at this point. I guess I could just try it and see what happens. Any tips??
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post

SOOO, Sorry to hijack but... How does one clip a baby? I am guessing they are not thrilled by the process? He is pretty smart and sensible but I'm not sure he'd be an angel to clip at this point. I guess I could just try it and see what happens. Any tips??
    I have clipped about 10 babies and all were pretty easy to do with just me holding and clipping. Everything is new to them, so most did not fuss much at all.

It definitely has been hot in PA--on average, 10 degrees above normal. I gave my fillies dormosedan last year when clipping, just to make it easier on my friend who did the clipping (I cannot clip or braid to save my life). It's probably a much better idea to not drug them if you can help it, that way they'll remember the experience!

I get the babies use to the clippers by turning them on and giving them a massage with them. I find that they really don't mind to much. Good Luck
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I would definately clip. Do it now and the coat will look pretty good by the inspection. Enough time for all those little "oops" with the clippers to smooth out.

I'm not getting why clipping now would affect winter hair growth. Today is the longest day of the year. Winter hair won't start growing for another month or so.

I've clipped a lot of foals. I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them. Sometimes I break it up over a couple of days because some of them have the attention span of a gnat.

I have generally just clipped unrestrained except for hooking a finger through the halter to stabilize them when I am doing the head and face. I put down some hay for mom and just slowly introduce the clippers. Usually I have no trouble. They will take a few breaks for nursing. If they walk away I give them a moment and take the opportunity to clean the clippers and let them cool. I begin again when they've had a break. I actually think they enjoy it because they are curious and itchy and the clippers are novel and feel good. Keep it very low key. I can generally finish a foal (body only, not legs) in under 2 hours of "off and on" clipping like this.
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co