The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Unexplained RF lameness? (UD with diagnosis)

As some of you might know from my other thread, I have a warmblood (just turned 7) who is going in for stifle surgery on Wednesday. However, while he has been laid up the past month he seems to have developed a right front lameness of some kind (it is noticeable).

I'd love to have some thoughts on what would produce lameness with no heat/swelling, blocks improved 50% more I believe mid-coffin bone but had improved a bit less when blocked around fetlock before moving up.

His feet are a bit sore (pulled shoes without thinking it through, they are back on now) but even with feet blocked he was still showing it.

He has been ultrasounded, as vets were nearly sure it was suspensory, but his is clean. He has an old bow (which I originally was told by another vet was a bandage bow) which he was not "properly" rehabbed from, but he was in moderate work for a year + with no signs of front end lameness so the vets say that it does not "fit" as the cause.

I have a fetlock xray scheduled for Tuesday- but would love to know if anyone has any "weird" ideas so I can direct more questions to the vet about this issue, as the whole team seems fairly stumped as to the cause if this xray shows nothing.

Historically, he has seemed to be quite sensitive, so that's keeping hope alive- a good while ago, some weird front end lameness turned out to be simply from a *slight* thinning of his soles due to being barefoot/living on pasture/being ridden on an abrasive surface, and he was fine once shoes were on, with all hoof xrays clean...and this stifle issue that has been causing him problems is apparently quite "mild".

And I suppose if the xray isn't clean, he'll be having stifle AND fetlock surgery wednesday

This horse is sure putting me through the ringer!
    Last edited by imjustjoking22; Jun. 25, 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Geez that really stinks. I cant offer any true advice but the one thing that keeps coming to mind - is the stifle that is having the surgery the left stifle? If so, diagonal front would be taking more load and could be straining it? Could be totally off. Just wanted to offer support and jingles!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    I cant offer any true advice but the one thing that keeps coming to mind - is the stifle that is having the surgery the left stifle? If so, diagonal front would be taking more load and could be straining it? !
    That would be my initial thought too. When my girl was having her lameness issues they seemed to move in diagonal pairs. Hopefully it's nothing serious, good luck!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    Geez that really stinks. I cant offer any true advice but the one thing that keeps coming to mind - is the stifle that is having the surgery the left stifle? If so, diagonal front would be taking more load and could be straining it? Could be totally off. Just wanted to offer support and jingles!
    It's actually the right stifle, so the vets think (unfortunately) that it's totally independent.

Waiting around for a pastern ultrasound and foot xray now, oh joy... They are doing their best to fully empty my bank account

That sucks. Good luck!

Is your horse tripping because of the stifle issue? Maybe just tweaked something up front? Overloading both fronts and the right is weaker? I hope its nothing serious! Please update us. Its like a mystery novel and we have to know the ending!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

The injury seems to have happened during his month+ on stall/run layup (go figure).

They took the foot xray and are thinking there is a problem with the collateral ligament, ultrasounding pastern and around it as I type this.

Not seeming like a good thing One of my vets keeps mentioning MRI but there's no way I could afford it, I am a college student paying 100% out of pocket.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Jingling for you .. I am going through this myself and I did the MRI and it was a deep digitial flexor tendon tear. Luckily my guy is insured but still my portion pinches. Hoping your guy's is nothing but I really really feel your pain. I am trying to decide how best to treat my guy now and it is information overload. My thoughts are with you!
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Thanks for all the good thoughts you guys

We figured it out today- moderate medial collateral ligament injury.

Now I'm looking at treatment options: PRP, some stem cells from bone marrow/fat, or fully harvested/grown stem cells, 4 doses (the most expensive, at $1800-ouch).

I'm also going to need to decide tmrw whether I should try to have him
    go barefoot or put on specialty shoes.

Would love to hear advice/thoughts on my options!!

I went the barefoot route for now and am going to re-evaluate in a week- any thoughts on special shoes with multiple breakover points? (from what I understood). I'm willing to do shoes but my vet said he has also seen horses do well with this injury barefoot.