The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wow! You really suck!

Sorry, had to get that one out! Here's the deal, you decide whether this person sucks or I am just being a butthead LOL!!

I was at a hunter show and did jump crew Saturday night. You know, they knock down a rail (or 4 sometimes), I run out and put them back up. Great exercise sometimes and I actually enjoy this.

I am standing outside the arena about 6 or 8 feet from the judge trying to figure out where I can get a good shot of my friend going over a line near me so my cell is held up almost level with my face as I am zooming in/out on the oxer. A rider trots in and starts her circle and I hear her saying "OH NO!!! NOT A GOOD TIME FOR PICTURES!!!!". Of course, I lowered the phone (I know I didn't have to but I'm nice) even though I wasn't taking pics of her anyway...well, the horse spooks right there when the papers on the judges clipboard start blowing, spooks sideways again at the rails on the next arena side and yet again trotting down the long side. Needless to say, she couldn't get her horse straight to a fence to save her life.

She gets out of the arena and it is obvious her trainer asked her what went wrong when I hear her yell so loud it is clear on the other side of the arena "It was that girl over there, her camera phone spooked him!!!!".

I was livid. I was about 98% ready to walk over there and ask her if maybe her ineffective inside leg had anything to do with her sideways horse!!???

Does that mean if I have a bad day at a show everyone should leave so me and my horsey can't see anyone or anything!!??? GAH!! I am still annoyed.

Eh, don't be annoyed. Anyone else watching could see the same thing as you... no leg, no control, etc. And if I heard something like that, after such an obvious lack of skill display, I'd be REALLY amused Blame it on what she wants, her round sucked and she knew it. Giving the world something to point and snicker at is even better!

You can't control other people's actions, you can only control your own reactions.

Forget about it.

You've got me laughing to myself about an incident a few years ago when I was a jump judge for a local event. I scored a refusal on a young lady whose horse quit at a water feature. You could see it coming a mile away. (Let's start with no leg). After the horse ceased to move and then went sideways/backwards a couple of steps, the girl turned and went the long route. In her mind she was sure she had kept up a continuous flow of activity and so really came after me on my scoring. We had just started chatting with the TD when her Mom arrived on the scene, listened long enough to get the gist of the conversation, and said 'oh, honey, you DID have a refusal, and I've got it right here on video for you and the TD to see!

To the OP-- as has been sagely advised, fuggettabouttit. In life, some people are doers and some are whiners, you just had a close encounter with the latter.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

LOL! Because of *course* it wasn't anything SHE did! That is too funny.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    LOL! Because of *course* it wasn't anything SHE did! That is too funny.
    well, duh, obviously she did NOT do anything, like using leg etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Totally agree that everyone watching probably knew you did not spook the horse. I would have been totally annoyed at her too, though.

However, we should probably be glad she blamed you for her poor round and not blame, and take it out on, her horse. 'Cause the people who do that REALLY suck.

I know you are all right about just letting it go and I am/will. It just irritated me though!!

Beverly, I would have loved to see the look on that riders face when her mom said that LOL!!!!

Yea for that mom!

You definitely should have, on the ' was livid. I was about 98% ready to walk over there and ask her if maybe her ineffective inside leg had anything to do with her sideways horse!!???'
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Just know it wasn't you, the rider was having a bad day...which was evident from the moment she noticed you and your phone and not concentrating on her task. Could she have been a better sport..sure, but like somone mentioned you can't control her actions but you can control yours which you did.

then again, you could have filmed her round, I hear AFV is still giving away a lot of money
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Well, duh, OF COURSE it was you. It had to be you. What else could it have been?

Jeeesh - you come on here and post like this was ever about you in the first place.

Like her first comment about "NO pics - bad day for pics" wasn't the first clue.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

What a pity that cameras and cell phones are such rare items nowadays. It's so hard get your horse enough exposure to properly desensitize him.

I disagree with everyone. You are all enabling the OP. If she took a picture of me while I was riding, that would definitely be why anything went wrong. If she wasn't around, other reasons for the problem would or could be:

the wind
    the sun
    the air
    the footing
    the barefoot
    the shod
    the saddle fit
    the ulcer scoping

If it were none of the above, I am quite certain that the reason wouldn't be me.

Stop enabling! You're all just adding to the problem. And that can lead to unintended consequences.

ETA1: I agree with Oldenmare.
    ETA2: I changed my mind about ETA1 but don't care to specify.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    ETA1: I agree with Oldenmare.
    ETA2: I changed my mind about ETA1 but don't care to specify.
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    What a pity that cameras and cell phones are such rare items nowadays. It's so hard get your horse enough exposure to properly desensitize him.
    I can help.

For $249.95, I will handcraft a customized garland of cell phones in your barn colors (monograms and bling available for an additional fee) to swath your show-bound horse in. Rubyfree's upcycled call-kur (TM) is an eco-friendly product produced here in the USA. I hand select all of my phones to ensure that only the finest are used in your custom call-kur (TM), and because each one is hand made (here in the USA) you can be sure that YOUR call-kur will always be unique.

Starting at the outer edges, you will find first rate vintage satellite phones. A gentle progression is made towards the center where you will find modern Droids and Iphones, allowing you to gradually increase the level of exposure as your horse grows more comfortable with each generation of technology.

Act now and I will include the Rubyfree's upcycled call-kur (TM) training video Lv. 1, which will guide you step by step through the process of introducing your mount to the perils of modern technology.

Keep your eyes peeled for Rubyfree's upcycled cat-kur (TM), a product that will revolutionize the process of desensitizing your equine companion to those terrifying barn mousers! Available 2011, made in China.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Thank you all for the enabling!

Ruby, how can I get in on your idea? I already have cell/spook/horrifying hunter rounds experience!!

Rubyfree, $249.95 and it includes iPhones and Droids? I'll take 2 :-)
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

FYI it is never the rider's fault from the rider's perspective...ever