Old guy is floating around a 3, 3.5 and I'd like for him to go into winter with a little more fat reserves, say 100 pounds more, to bring him up to 4, 4.5.
Should I wait till September to up his feed or start a slow weight gain now in June? He is sweating pretty bad already and will be clipped next week.
Our coldest season is Jan Feb and we usually have temps in the teens, sometimes single digits. He is blanketed outside, no stall, some shelter.
Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
IMO it's always best to go with a slow weight gain--to do otherwise is to risk colicking the horse.
I'd wait until September to start a slow weight gain program.
"I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!