The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default War Emblem to Old Friends

They're finally giving up on him. According to the article, he should be there sometime in Sept.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...=last7DaysNews
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I hope someone will do scientific studies to see why he isn't interested in breeding. If it's genetic, maybe they can find out where and why.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, that's great. He still has a whole lot of fans here in the U.S. who will be thrilled to see him in the flesh. Here's hoping that he's mellowed out some.

This is good news. It is nice that he is coming home. The people in Japan have certainly taken good care of him over the years.

That is fantastic! He won the first Preakness I ever attended narrowly beating out one of my mentors, Nancy Alberts and her homebred Magic Wiesner.

Hey, that's great! I was a fan - I picked him to win the Derby from the moment I saw him. Nevermind that I was about 11 at the time...

Anyway, still love him, even as the temperamental b**tard he apparently is. He, Silver Charm and Charismatic can point out how safe overseas is for the Chromies lol.

Here's hoping there are some nice photos of him with Baffert and Espinoza, a la Gary Stevens with Silver Charm, and the Baffert family with SC and Game on Dude

I wonder how possible it would be to see him up close? By all accounts he is not a particularly nice horse. I hope he's chilled out so that I can see some nice photos.

Edit: I just thought about it, and his reputed savage temper. Not gonna get near that one. I'll watch from the safety of the barn!
    Last edited by rascalpony; Jul. 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM.

Baffert flat-out said in one of the articles he'd never let people pet War Emblem like he does Pharoah because he'd "savage" them, so I'm guessing he's probably not up for much snuggly pictures. And if I go to Old Friends I'm good with watching him from a distance. A really, really long distance.

And between this and Silver Charm and the lengths they went to try saving Sunday Silence when he was dying I am just about done with the shrieks and moans when a horse gets sold to Japan from some quarters.

3 members found this post helpful.

Baffert flat-out said in one of the articles he'd never let people pet War Emblem like he does Pharoah because he'd "savage" them, so I'm guessing he's probably not up for much snuggly pictures. And if I go to Old Friends I'm good with watching him from a distance. A really, really long distance.
    Yeah, that's what I thought about after I posted haha. The 'savaging' stands out in your mind, doesn't it? I don't want to be near him for that possibility lol. I'll look at him from far...far away. Maybe with binoculars . I think that's about the closest we'll get. Oh well, no cute photos. SC and Game on Dude were pleasing enough for me!

I know, I loved that Chromie who said that Japan slaughters their horses when they're done with them...they might, but most horses sent over there now go over with the clause protecting them. They didn't bother to look that up though.

Anyway, yay Old Friends!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I hope someone will do scientific studies to see why he isn't interested in breeding. If it's genetic, maybe they can find out where and why.
    Maybe he's transgender and wants to transition into a mare. That could explain why he's so grumpy.
    Last edited by wireweiners; Jul. 21, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
    I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

9 members found this post helpful.

Are there any mares at Old Friends? If so, War Emblem could be turned out with them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Maybe he could come out as Caroline and get a reality show?

When I heard he was a dud in the breeding shed, I assumed it was not producing quality performers. Was surprised to find out he has a high percentage of good performers in that rather skimpy total offspring total.

Seems the Jalanese are doing better for some of their aging, mid grade studs then we do over here for many of them.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Too bad they can't *just turn him out with some mares*
    But I bet they tried that.
    Maybe the horse "KNOWS" he shouldn't reproduce!!
    Let's all ask the Chromies!! <duckind-n-running>
    "Do owls exist? Or are there hats?" ~ John Oliver
    "If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."
    - Dr. House

I remember an appearance (maybe Today show, and I think Katie Couric) during the Triple Crown try, and they stood well away from War Emblem, and said he's seriously cranky. I think biting was mentioned. I guess he hasn't mellowed with age. It'll be good to see him at Old Friends.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

he was turned out with mares and houses in a separate facility for less stress on him. it did increase his output of offspring but after a few years, he returned to his old ways. Glad to see him coming home

"And between this and Silver Charm and the lengths they went to try saving Sunday Silence when he was dying I am just about done with the shrieks and moans when a horse gets sold to Japan from some quarters"

Sunday Silence was a top stallion over there and died relatively young after a bout of laminitis, War Emblem who is retired from breeding is being donated and Old Friends has to pay the shipping --I suspect that is a hefty bill. It sounds like for Silver Charm the Lewis' paid for the costs.

(Edited to add: I guess I wonder if they are assured a good retirement there why is everyone so eager to spend thousands bringing them home--how many KD winners can OF house? it seems someone is not comfortable or else wants sot get out of the pension costs?)

The irony is that while public opinion brings these older stallions back from Japan, their care and quality of life is much better there than it will be here. The Japanese probably wonder why we are so eager to remove these old guys from their beautiful farms only to turn them out here on a virtual dry lot with little shelter. Not to mention what a huge change it must be for these old horses to have to adapt to a totally new environment.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    The irony is that while public opinion brings these older stallions back from Japan, their care and quality of life is much better there than it will be here. The Japanese probably wonder why we are so eager to remove these old guys from their beautiful farms only to turn them out here on a virtual dry lot with little shelter. Not to mention what a huge change it must be for these old horses to have to adapt to a totally new environment.
    You may be right, but I have one word for you.

Ferdinand.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

But is it that former owners/fans/trainers are not totally assured they will be given a retirment over there? Why are they being brought back?

Ferdinand.
    But is it that former owners/fans/trainers are not totally assured they will be given a retirment over there? Why are they being brought back?
    It is due to Ferdinand that they come back. Though it is not the case now, the Japanese once considered it economical to send a horse that had outlived its usefulness to slaughter. They didn't realize what backlash that would bring. They now treat these stallions royally.

However, because of what happened to Ferdinand, there is now a "Ferdinand clause" written into most stallions' sales contracts when they are exported overseas. While we are now confident that the horses will be treated well, nobody has forgotten Ferdinand and the owners make sure that the stallions will have a soft spot to land (no matter what) when they are too old to breed or are unable to for whatever reason. I think they also like to bring horses who have won legs of the Triple Crown back for the nostalgia factor. Charismatic, I'll Have Another and Empire Maker are all currently in Japan. I will be shocked if all three don't eventually return, especially the former two, who both won two legs of the Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post

Ferdinand.
    Ferdinand's death happened more than a dozen years ago, was due to cultural differences between the U.S. and Japan, and was a huge loss of face for the Japanese. Something like that will never happen again to a famous American horse in Japan so there's no point in people continuing to bring it up like it's a current problem. Most of the retirees that are repatriated are in much better hands there than they are here.

7 members found this post helpful.