The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Racehorse names that will never be used

I was thinking about racehorses that were named for a living or dead person and I wonder what other COTH members think would be these names.

From the current news, I don't think a race caller will ever announce the names of Anthony Weiner, Bill Crosby, and Barrack Obama. I don't think will see the names Richard Nixon or Jimmy Carter either. just can't see a Nancy Pelosi in a starting field. Well maybe a filly named Nancy Pelosi might sneak in at Gold Gate Fields but hardly think it would happen at Charles Town.

What are some of the names you all think might never leave a race announcers lips?

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, to use the name of a living person you must get written permission. For a dead person, you must explain why you want the name and have it approved by the Jockey Club. So that limits a lot of it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Well, to use the name of a living person you must get written permission. For a dead person, you must explain why you want the name and have it approved by the Jockey Club. So that limits a lot of it.
    The JC has historically taken the fun out of just about everything so I guess this thread is no exception.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammy Davis View Post
    The JC has historically taken the fun out of just about everything so I guess this thread is no exception.
    Truth ^

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Ok, I'll admit I laughed so hard at that I spit diet coke.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Ironic since most people's biggest complaint about the JC is they insist on keeping the "fun" in the biz instead of the Fed Ex man.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Ok, I'll admit I laughed so hard at that I spit diet coke.
    My wife says that the stain will come out if you get it out immediately. There are lots of things you can blame on the JC, but unfortunately spitting your diet coke is not one of them. Unless you want to submit "spityourdietcoke" as a name for one of your juvenile horses.

You may not know this but around some farms, ours included, "Diet Coke" is use to clean the acid build up on machinery battery poles. I find learning new things makes you sleep better at night.

Can't help but wonder how Tom Durkin would handle a race call with that name in it. Maybe "Holy cr*p, it's Spityourdietcoke" moving along the rail leaving the field in its wake of dust like they were all Diet Dr. Pepper drinkers."

And yes, Furlong47, I know he has retired.

7 members found this post helpful.

New Zealander Tricky Dick N raced in the Chicago area mid 80's.

RON JEREMY (X89321, G) Prior name: YOU TOO BRUTUS
    NOBLELAND SAM - BETTER THAN SEX - KENTUCKY SPUR (2001 foal)

OBAMA (9CB160, H)
    MR CHECKMATE - CORNELIA LOBELL - SPEEDY CROWN (2006 foal)

MONACO LEWINSKY (4GN046, M)
    MAJESTIC SON - YANKEE MONACO - MR VIC (2009 foal)

Just a few of many.

Many will remember this one..........sadly:

George Washington (3 January 2003 – 27 October 2007) was a thoroughbred racehorse foaled in Ireland by champion sire Danehill out of Bordighera, also the dam of the high-class colt Grandera.

Lol, I knew Monaco Lewinsky! She stayed at the farm that I board my horse at. A COTHer has her now, though I can't remember her user name, go figure...

This is hysterical....

http://youtu.be/YgMDylaQjOY

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    This is hysterical....

http://youtu.be/YgMDylaQjOY
    And their last example shows how apparently the UK JC reads the names out loud before okaying them while the US one...probably doesn't. (We all remember Hoof Hearted in the in winner's circle...)

Quote Originally Posted by laserRob View Post
    New Zealander Tricky Dick N raced in the Chicago area mid 80's.

RON JEREMY (X89321, G) Prior name: YOU TOO BRUTUS
    NOBLELAND SAM - BETTER THAN SEX - KENTUCKY SPUR (2001 foal)

OBAMA (9CB160, H)
    MR CHECKMATE - CORNELIA LOBELL - SPEEDY CROWN (2006 foal)

MONACO LEWINSKY (4GN046, M)
    MAJESTIC SON - YANKEE MONACO - MR VIC (2009 foal)

Just a few of many.

Are these all Standarbreds? If so, the Standardbred registration office must be more fun than the Jockey Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    Are these all Standarbreds? If so, the Standardbred registration office must be more fun than the Jockey Club.
    Yes, those are Standardbreds but the rules are the same, no person living or dead without written permission from the person or his/her heirs, no lewd names, no repeat of certain horse names (a long list) and now they sound out the names after Norfolk And Way......they should have started with Fog Ducker and the TB registry should have started with Fog Duckin who was of the same era. I asked my friend, who was an announcer about that particular pair and he would just blush furiously because he mixed up the F and D on both horses. That said, way back when Stoner Creek was still breeding, they came up with interesting and sometimes slightly racy names for their horses - Hot Pants, D Cup, Fried Egg but also named some of the greats

FWIW, there once was a boxer named after a pretty decent trotter of the latter part of the 19th century.....the horse was Cassius M Clay and his groom was a Mr Clay, some distant relative of the aforementioned boxer; for the younger set, the boxer is Mohammed Ali.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I saw a yearling in the Harrisburg catalogue out of the mare Gluteus Maximus. They'd named him Nice Rs Blue Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Breeze View Post
    I saw a yearling in the Harrisburg catalogue out of the mare Gluteus Maximus. They'd named him Nice Rs Blue Chip.
    Very funny.

Sk_pacer: It does look like the Standardbred Registration is more fun than the JC. But just about everything is more fun than the JC. I'll bet Catholics who self-flagellate are ten times more likely to have fun than the JC.

I don't know WTF these goofs were thinking when they let this one in:

C U NEXT TUESDAY (2A7141, M)
    COLE MUFFLER - PANDELABRA - ABERCROMBIE (2003 foal)

Quote Originally Posted by laserRob View Post
    I don't know WTF these goofs were thinking when they let this one in:

C U NEXT TUESDAY (2A7141, M)
    COLE MUFFLER - PANDELABRA - ABERCROMBIE (2003 foal)

I think one of the SB registration rules is that the horse owner be unable to put together a complete sentence or can consistently spell incorrectly. Anyone who would think of being involved in a equine sport that includes riding a bicycle cart within inches of the horse's dock at 30 miles an hour is either crazy or has a "bad smells" fetish or has a manic dare devil high speed composting passion. Beaver Breeze is going to love harness racing. Can you imagine being involved in a sport that is easy on the eyes, is exhilerating, and clears the sinus of quality air every time the gate is opened behind a polluting, CO2 emitting, inefficent fuel consuming late model 1960's model GM car purchased from a Cuban used car dealer in Havana that just missed a recall by 10 years.

Beaver Breeze, I'm with you on this.

Well like I said anything is more fun than the JC. This a sport the self-flagellating Catholics can love. And if the compost is well scented solidly congealed and aerated, it can be sold for extra cash. What's not to love about harness horseracing.

There is a 2003 TB named Seeyounexttuesday. Obviously the US JC does need to say the submitted names out loud before approving them.

Or maybe the JC is a bunch of old fuddy duddys who have no idea what See You Next Tuesday means in the vernacular.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

"I used to have money, now I have horses." I love it. I would say I've been broke, now I'm near bankrupt because I have horses.

Wow what a cock up of a system. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...e-ct-collision

Fricken hell, are "we" control freaks that aren't paying attention or what??

Let the folks on the track make the call FFSake..

Sorry this link is in the wrong thread , but I didn't feel it worth starting a new one and having it become a rara thread.