The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 'Old man' at 10 takes down the Grade 2 Brooklyn!

Despite the sloppy track, despite being maybe up to 22 lengths off your last man, Calidoscopio, played it steady and came on strong. A wonderful effort in the Grade 2 Brooklyn! Clearly worth watching

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-cali...k-win-brooklyn

youtube: 2013 Brooklyn Hdcp $200k G2 replay
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Jun. 8, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Amazing!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

This just showed up on FB. A different way to do morning works!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

That race and his Breeders Cup win are a joy to watch. It's hard to believe that he can kick into over drive and make up all that ground.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I wonder if they use Lasix in Argentina. Just read today the study about it affecting calcium absorption. So if he's 10, and doing this good, would say that's a prime example of why horses are not doing as well in recent years soundness wise.

He also looked really happy after the race, looking around like, "hey, did you see what I just did?"

Bare back galloping is standard in the mornings in South America. Must make for some tough ass exercise riders.

Horses do race on Lasix in Argentina, though not almost every horse in every race like in NA. It is not allowed in Graded stakes races anymore.

And of note...

The Argentina-bred bay horse is the first 10-year-old in history to win a graded stakes race on dirt.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2VcF37Cdy

Great run! Reminded me of Silky Sullivan, the great come from behind horse.

Perhaps American breeders and trainers could learn from the Argentines how to breed to get sound racehorses who can hold up for more than a few months or years.

How's the track today?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    That race and his Breeders Cup win are a joy to watch. It's hard to believe that he can kick into over drive and make up all that ground.
    I don't believe it is a case of him accelerating much at all, it's more a case of the other horses coming back to him.
    Would be interesting to see Trakus stats.

Per his jockey,

"He gallops pretty much for the first mile, mile and an eighth, and then from that point on, we pick it up and he just continues to grow in his stride," Gryder said. "I felt good at the three-eighths pole...at the eighth pole, I said 'I think I can get there,' and at the sixteenth pole, I said, 'I'm going to run them down.' He's such a character. He's been racing for eight years and he's seen it all."
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2VdHQxLLD

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Per his jockey,

"He gallops pretty much for the first mile, mile and an eighth, and then from that point on, we pick it up and he just continues to grow in his stride," Gryder said. "I felt good at the three-eighths pole...at the eighth pole, I said 'I think I can get there,' and at the sixteenth pole, I said, 'I'm going to run them down.' He's such a character. He's been racing for eight years and he's seen it all."
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2VdHQxLLD
    If you look at the Trakus data for his BC marathon win, which was as visually impressive, if not moreso, than his Brooklyn, you'll see he grinds out steady 25 and change quarter mile fractions. He is not going any faster at the end that he was at the start. It's just that the rest of the field decelerates quite rapidly in the final 3f or 4fs which makes it look like he is accelerating.
    It is not true "turn of foot" like you'd see in a top class turf horse. It's more the nature of how long distance races on dirt are run.

Interesting -- and I agree. The BC win was very impressive. Not that many horses out there are true distance runners any more.

Dammit. He killed both my Brooklyn/Belmont DD tickets. But I saw nothing to indicate he liked soup. (Honestly, at Belmont and Montmouth yesterday it would have helped if some of them were part amphibian. Or had canoes.)

No starts this year. Anyone know if he has retired, or what has happened to him?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    No starts this year. Anyone know if he has retired, or what has happened to him?
    He retired to stud back in Argentina!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Texarkana!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I just looked at his pedigree, and he is the classic recipe of speed over stamina. Typical US Mr P x ND on top, and lots of distance/turf on the bottom. His damsire is Lefty, so he'd probably also make a darned nice sport horse. But his top is not pure speed, but good speed. Agnes line tail female in Argentina for well over a century.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire