The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for Lexingtonians on tornado sirens & such

Question for Lexingtonians on tornado sirens and such.

I'm still trying to sort out where to relocate to. Right now it's either Lexington or Maryland.

Lexington is great but I'm honestly a bit freaked by the idea of tornadoes. I've lived in Calif. (mostly So. Cal, which kinda just gets small earthquakes & I could live with that) and NY. Just thinking about being where there are tornadoes makes me get a bit short of breath. Yes, perhaps I should not consider Lex but it is just so beautiful, so many fun things to do and Keeneland is . . . just beyond words.

So, how often do you hear the tornado sirens, anyway? What are your thoughts on tornadoes? Have you all done the going into the basement thing much? I truly don't mean to stir the pot or cause anxiety, just looking for ideas from wise COTHers in the know.

I was last in Lex in April of this year. It happened to be just a few days after those crazy floods you got. Then, when I was there I was watching the local news they were speaking of tornado activity in Richmond, which was a town we were most interested in. (Waaah . . .)

http://www.lex18.com/story/28749800/...madison-county

I know some areas are more prone to tornadoes than others. I believe Lexington gets not so much but it seems Richmond has a bit more. I'd just be terrified of my son driving to work or something, wherever in KY that would be, and getting, well, . . .

Oh, I've read that tornadoes are more common "across the river". Which river would that be? I tried to research but am not sure.

Again, I do not mean to stir up fear or anxiety in anyone. I'd so appreciate some your input. Thanks lots.

I'm not a resident of Lexington, but I live in a very similar weather pattern with a similar risk of tornadoes (according to Homefacts.com, my town actually has double the risk of tornadoes than Lexington).

Tornadoes are not a reason to avoid an area in my opinion. Yes, they happen, but the risk of tornadoes does not change your lifestyle because they are completely random occurrences. They occur more frequently in certain seasons, but they are SO unpredictable: you could have 5 serious tornado warnings in a week... but then none for months or even years. Warnings are far more common than actual touchdowns. When touchdowns do happen, damage is generally localized to a relatively small area.

I'm not trying to minimize their seriousness, but they're just not something worth stressing over. When a real warning occurs because they've confirmed rotation or touchdown heading your direction (not a warning or watch because of severe storms), you just go to your safe spot in your house and hope for the best. Most houses in my area don't even have basements.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

The sirens do not go off very often and even when the storms are supposed to be bad, they never seem as bad as the weather people make them out to be. I know a tornado went threw the subdivision I live in about six years ago but the damage was minimal.

The worst weather is in the winter when we get ice storms. We usually get one bad winter storm each year and it seems to shut down the city for a couple of days because people don't know how to drive in snow and ice.

Overall, the weather here tends to be fairly mild. And you can always purchase a home with a basement of you are overly concerned about tornados and severe weather.

Would 'over the river' be the Ohio? I grew up in Cincinnati. When I was young there was an alert or two every spring. Now the weather service can be much more specific about prediction and tracking. In the 3 decades I was in/ based from Cincy, only once did a tornado come within a mile of my home. and a mile is still a ways away for most tornadoes.

If you have a basement and a weather radio, you should be OK.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

OK, kewl, thanks, dear friends.

Unfortunately, the SO has decided the home has to be on the water and it seems not too many are. Getting a home with a basement and on the water probably will be a bit hard to find. I think the basement is, by far, much more important than on the water but that is a whole different issue. I wonder if people get "safe rooms" built into their house ever?
    ---
    "Oh, I've read that tornadoes are more common "across the river". Which river would that be? I tried to research but am not sure."

Does that mean the Kentucky River or the Ohio river or --- ?

My personal view is that even in an area with tornado activity, there are geographic routes that are followed by storms over and over. Where I used to live (in Alabama), severe storms and tornadoes always formed west of town (you could watch them pop up on the weather radar), and went on the same route within a half mile of the same path. I wouldn't touch a house, or subdivision that has had repeated strikes.

You need to decide what your safe room is, (interior room, no windows, ground floor) and that is where you keep emergency supplies (flashlight, phone charger, vital papers that can be hard to replace). A small tornado hit about 3 miles from my house, and it wasn't even that windy where I live (OK, I was watching TV and on my exercise machine through the entire thing). So tornadoes can happen anywhere, but I would avoid anywhere with repeated strikes.

You need to take precautions, but there can be bad weather anywhere, so get good insurance, prepare for emergencies, and then if bad weather comes along, you're ready.

One thing I think everyone should have where ever they live is a full set of inside and outside photos. I take pictures of all four sides of the house, showing the condition of the house, show fencing, and landscaping. Inside get pictures of all rooms, showing the condition of each, the ceiling (in case of leaks), and contents of the rooms. Download to your computer, and burn to disk, then put one disk outside the home (you could exchange with a friend who lives elsewhere, or keep it at work or in a safe deposit box), and keep another one at the house. Then, if you ever have an issue, you have pictures showing the conditions for the insurance company-I did that, and after an attic fire it made everything so easy for the adjustor from the insurance company.

I know this may sound over the top, but I have a couple of the fire and waterproof hanging folder safes, in my safe room (closet) with all vital papers, house papers, and the picture CD. Anything it would be hard to replace should be in there.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Sonoma-there are two types of safe rooms. You can use an interior, first floor room with no windows, or you can get a room reinforced with concrete. You might find something on the river with a walk out basement, and the basement could have a safe room area that would be secure. You can also have a safe room added on to the house, with concrete roof, walls, and ceiling, and a secure door-you can use the room for a media room or something like that, so it's not just a room you never use.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Superb!

"So tornadoes can happen anywhere, but I would avoid anywhere with repeated strikes."

Absolutely. I've been doing lots of reading on this. Seems that Paris, a significant horsey area, gets a few tornadoes (I was surprised about this), Lex - not so much, Richmond - not often but possible.

"I know this may sound over the top, but I have a couple of . . . "

Completely not over the top!! You are being a smart person. I'd do something like that. I believe in whatever it takes to make one feel ok, at peace and in more in control. Good going!

I lived in Lex for over 20 years. Never heard a tornado siren. There were the odd tornadoes from time to time outside the "circle". But not even close to the size or scope of the ones people deal with in the West-Midwest.

Lex is a great town. Especially if you are a fan of TBs but not in the business of.

I don't know which river but I will guess the Mississippi because as many tornadoes as we get east if it, the Midwest gets a lot more . Your remark about earthquakes tickled me because they are about the only reason I've never wanted to move to California!
    I guess it's what you get used to. At least with tornadoes we get plenty of warning.

A basement is not always a guarantee of safety. But TV meteorologists are good at tracking them and I have sometimes had time to get to "a place of safety" (huge sturdy building with other people around).
    RoanPonyMare

"the only reason I've never wanted to move to California!"

Thanks RPM. As the others have said, you aim to live in one of the least likely places. I was not long in Sonomacounty (despite my name, loved it there, however, hence the name) but more in coastal lower Orange County, which has not had many big ones at all. To me they felt like, say, if you are driving in a car at about 10 miles an hour or so and step on the brake hard. I'd sometimes think "hmmm, what was that?" then I'd watch the evening news to find out and yes, it was one. I found the fires & mudslides more scary, even though I really wasn't in prime location for those either.

Thanks for chiming in, Gumtree. As you know, I respect your opinion very much. Your words just truly made me feel better about things.

Say, when one has to goes into the basement or safe room, about how long is it for? A few hours I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    I lived in Lex for over 20 years. Never heard a tornado siren. There were the odd tornadoes from time to time outside the "circle". But not even close to the size or scope of the ones people deal with in the West-Midwest.

Lex is a great town. Especially if you are a fan of TBs but not in the business of.
    LOL, I was next to a correctional facility that housed a tornado siren when I lived in Lexington, and I definitely heard the siren go off!

Great memories of foaling out mares with no power
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Severe thunderstorms with straight line winds are more frequent and more of a threat than tornados. No you don't have to shelter in place that long, a lot of these storms are quick moving. If you do move here, don't freak out when the sirens go off. They go off with all sorts of watches and warnings. They also will have a message saying why the sirens are going off.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    OK, kewl, thanks, dear friends.

Unfortunately, the SO has decided the home has to be on the water and it seems not too many are. Getting a home with a basement and on the water probably will be a bit hard to find. I think the basement is, by far, much more important than on the water but that is a whole different issue. I wonder if people get "safe rooms" built into their house ever?
    ---
    "Oh, I've read that tornadoes are more common "across the river". Which river would that be? I tried to research but am not sure."

Does that mean the Kentucky River or the Ohio river or --- ?
    Home on the water - very nice, very $$, LOTS of bugs, flood insurance $$$...it comes with a price, and you will worry so much so much more about flooding than anything else. But I'd be happy to come visit!!
    We will be friends 'til we are old and senile...then we will be new friends.

Thing with tornadoes and straight line winds? They are quick. Only been in the basement twice in 20 years and it was less then 5min both times. The one big one, F4 p, that passed less then a mile away? I slept thru. Did wake up to weird sounding thunder...sounded like a train....went back to sleep.

But big as that one was, the hilly terrain here just north of Cincy kept it skipping around instead of those that stay in the ground for miles and miles. Just north of here, where it gets flat as a pancake, they do get them like that. Kind of along I70, towns like Xenia. So the "across the river" could refer to Ohio and Indiana, where they are flat anyway. But more likely it means the Mississippi and tornado alley proper. Kentucky River makes no sense, not really big or long enough to mean anything.

No matter where you live, theres something natural disaster wise you will be exposed to. But it's a very slight chance unless your homeowners insurance has a requirement you add it to your coverage, at an extra charge. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I've lived in Lexington for 25 years, and, yes, we can hear sirens for two counties in the distance from where we live. I'm also a bit of a tornado nut, but I've never seen one here, though certainly a few have hit in the general area. But, as gumtree said, it's nothing like what you get in Tornado Alley! Wherever you are, it's always good to stay weather-aware and to know what to do in case of any kind of weather emergency situation, but even as someone who tends to be hyper-aware of tornado threats (a big one hit near us--and actually killed my riding coach--when I was a kid in NC), I wouldn't say I would avoid this area or that I feel like I'm taking a big risk by living here. The Bluegrass is a great place for horses, as you said, and the sport-horse community seems to be growing here!

"But I'd be happy to come visit!!"

Absolutely, Palm Beach.

OK, so if Find8 says the homeowners insurance doesn't "usually" require tornado insurance, that says a lot.

Moodles, I am so, so, so, so sorry about your coach.

You all have changed my thinking on this from big anxiety to one of ok-ness. Huge, huge, thanks!!

Theres worse things to worry about in Lexington than a tornado. But if you want to live on water, you are looking 30 min+ drive to get anywhere in Lex proper. Be warned of that. Traffic is horrid in this town.
    To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

I've been herded into the locker room for drills plenty of times. The time the thing went off I was off shift and drove home and didn't see a darned thing. Another time I went into the hallway at home and cocooned up and said screw it. Never had to go in for the real thing.
    The straight line winds can really tear stuff up though. My apartment had the transformer torn off the pole, the pole split in half, a goodly chunk of the building's brick facade peeled right off and the power off for three days in 12 degree weather. We had something go through behind the house and tear up some trees, about a quarter mile away it really messed up the trees and blocked the road completely. But I think on a percentage basis it's no better or worse than a big mudslide, or being in the wrong place when a bad one hits.
    And yes, definitely the traffic here is getting worse every day. DH has a white truck and a guy pulled right out in front of him yesterday - it's a white truck, with it's lights on, and he moves along at the posted limit of 55 or less, how do you miss that? Lots of people that live here still think it's the little podunk town they grew up in, and it ain't.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Yeah, I would definately avoid living within the New Circle loop or even outside of it for some miles. But Richmond, where OP said they were thinking of looking, is well away from that mess. Easy access to just about anything you need close to 75 on those occasional forays to the "big city".

Have an idea the Richmond area is going to get you far more bang for your buck then Maryland. Especially if you want a few acres for a farmette.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.