The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Steve Coburn - spouting off again?

I just read an article on bloodhorse.com about Constitution being injured and not going to the Dubai World Cup. Here is one of the comments on the article (from 2 days ago):

"Speaking of Coburn, did anyone else see his interview on TVG last weekend? Looks like it has been pulled from TVG and YouTube because of the comments he made."

Just curious if anyone knows what he said this time? I tried Googling for information but couldn't find anything.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hope I come back with my head on my shoulders and not in a bag." -- Steve Coburn

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh dear......

1 members found this post helpful.

Am I a bad person because I burst out laughing when I read that?

Yes, I probably am ----- but could he have said anything that was less PC?
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

10 members found this post helpful.

Anyone else remember a few years ago when Bob Baffert went to Dubai and had a heart attack and Sheikh Mohammed immediately went above and beyond to ensure he received what was literally the best medical care in the world?

I can't imagine having the nerve to say that kind of thing and then still having the audacity to then go over there and run your horse. Poor Art Sherman, I am so embarrassed for him.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

8 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps because the Saudis finance ISIS? Who cares what kind of care Baffert got in Dubai, the place is one big swamp oil of money laundering.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Perhaps because the Saudis finance ISIS? Who cares what kind of care Baffert got in Dubai, the place is one big swamp oil of money laundering.
    I think you need to bush up on your geography and Middle Eastern politics. Dubai is in the UAE not Saudi Arabia. And is easily one of the most progressive countries in the Middle East. It is small, powerful but has to walk a “fine line”. 40 years ago the majority of its people lived in tents. Now it is well educated and a high standard of living for most. And has built for the future knowing full well its “oil wealth” will not last forever.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I hope I come back with my head on my shoulders and not in a bag." -- Steve Coburn
    The guy is such a butt head. I feel sorry for Art Sherman and the horse. They should tell him, you horse is welcome you are not.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    I think you need to bush up on your geography and Middle Eastern politics. Dubai is in the UAE not Saudi Arabia. And is easily one of the most progressive countries in the Middle East. It is small, powerful but has to walk a “fine line”. 40 years ago the majority of its people lived in tents. Now it is well educated and a high standard of living for most. And has built for the future knowing full well its “oil wealth” will not last forever.

And you need to do the same, the UAE is a conglomerate of Arab emirates from seven sheikdoms scrabbled together in 1971 and they are not much different politically than Saudi Arabia with the same type of potentates practicing Sharia law. If you think Sharia law is progressive I am wasting my breath. Women in UAE are victims of Sharia-derived judicial punishments such as flogging and stoning. I will say you have a funny error in your first sentence though Gum, "bush up". So true, birds of a feather and all that.

Main article: Politics of the United Arab Emirates

Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the President of the UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi

Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum is the Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai

The United Arab Emirates is a federation of hereditary absolute monarchies. It is governed by a Federal Supreme Council made up of the seven emirs of Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Dubai, Ras al-Khaimah and Umm al-Qaiwain. All responsibilities not granted to the national government are reserved to the emirates.[67] A percentage of revenues from each emirate is allocated to the UAE's central budget.[68]

Although elected by the Supreme Council, the presidency and prime ministership are essentially hereditary: The emir of Abu Dhabi holds the presidency, and the emir of Dubai is prime minister. All prime ministers but one have served concurrently as vice president. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan was the UAE's president from the nation's founding until his death on 2 November 2004. On the following day the Federal Supreme Council elected his son, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to the post. Abu Dhabi's crown prince, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, is the heir apparent.[69]

The UAE convened a half-elected Federal National Council in 2006. The FNC consists of 40 members drawn from all the emirates. Half are appointed by the rulers of the constituent emirates, and the other half are indirectly elected to serve two-year terms. However, the FNC is restricted to a largely consultative role.[70] The UAE eGovernment is the extension of the UAE Federal Government in its electronic form.[71]

The UAE is frequently described as an "autocracy".[72][73][74] According to the New York Times, the UAE is "an autocracy with the sheen of a progressive, modern state".[75] The UAE ranks poorly in freedom indices measuring civil liberties and political rights. The UAE is annually ranked as "Not Free" in Freedom House's annual Freedom in the World report, which measures civil liberties and political rights.[76] The UAE also ranks poorly in the annual Reporters without Borders' Press Freedom Index.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Am I a bad person because I burst out laughing when I read that?

Yes, I probably am ----- but could he have said anything that was less PC?

I did the same...also confessing to absolutely not knowing much about middle eastern politics.

On a good note, maybe we've found Joan Rivers' replacement????? Loved her...

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    And you need to do the same, the UAE is a conglomerate of Arab emirates from seven sheikdoms scrabbled together in 1971 and they are not much different politically than Saudi Arabia with the same type of potentates practicing Sharia law. If you think Sharia law is progressive I am wasting my breath. Women in UAE are victims of Sharia-derived judicial punishments such as flogging and stoning. I will say you have a funny error in your first sentence though Gum, "bush up". So true, birds of a feather and all that.

Main article: Politics of the United Arab Emirates

Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the President of the UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi

Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum is the Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai

The United Arab Emirates is a federation of hereditary absolute monarchies. It is governed by a Federal Supreme Council made up of the seven emirs of Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Dubai, Ras al-Khaimah and Umm al-Qaiwain. All responsibilities not granted to the national government are reserved to the emirates.[67] A percentage of revenues from each emirate is allocated to the UAE's central budget.[68]

Although elected by the Supreme Council, the presidency and prime ministership are essentially hereditary: The emir of Abu Dhabi holds the presidency, and the emir of Dubai is prime minister. All prime ministers but one have served concurrently as vice president. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan was the UAE's president from the nation's founding until his death on 2 November 2004. On the following day the Federal Supreme Council elected his son, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to the post. Abu Dhabi's crown prince, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, is the heir apparent.[69]

The UAE convened a half-elected Federal National Council in 2006. The FNC consists of 40 members drawn from all the emirates. Half are appointed by the rulers of the constituent emirates, and the other half are indirectly elected to serve two-year terms. However, the FNC is restricted to a largely consultative role.[70] The UAE eGovernment is the extension of the UAE Federal Government in its electronic form.[71]

The UAE is frequently described as an "autocracy".[72][73][74] According to the New York Times, the UAE is "an autocracy with the sheen of a progressive, modern state".[75] The UAE ranks poorly in freedom indices measuring civil liberties and political rights. The UAE is annually ranked as "Not Free" in Freedom House's annual Freedom in the World report, which measures civil liberties and political rights.[76] The UAE also ranks poorly in the annual Reporters without Borders' Press Freedom Index.
    Exactly and you missed my point. You comment seems to imply to the average reader that Dubai is part of Saudi Aribia. That every country in the Middle East is of the same mentality. As I said the UAE have to “walk a fine line”. I am not going to digress into American mentality towards Middle Eastern culture and practices. I fully expected you to play the “how they treat women” card. I worked for an American educated Saudi Prince and had the good fortune to have some, one on one conversations outside of horses. It is far more complicated than the average American understands. Have had the same with others from the region and countries. My horse business has taken me and or introduced me to a number of people of different cultures. Average people. I have heard repeatedly, we like America, most like Americans, but we do not want to be American. Like you, we have our flaws, flaws that hopefully will be sorted out someday. But that day will come when it comes. Not in a time line set by American demands and ideas.
    Horses and the racing of them is a common reference point and I would like to see politics set aside. Something that Coburn and you should take into consideration. If Coburn has his “political convictions” with the Middle East then stay home. But I doubt that will happened he’s as “greedy” as they come.
    I would not pass judgment based on an article in the NY Times, nor completely based on our idea of “Freedom”.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...60504bc21ab69b

11 members found this post helpful.

After that, I hope he doesnt come home with $6m in a bag.
    Here's hoping his horse finishes up the track.

I hope that California Chrome does well in Dubai, for Art Sherman's sake. The man deserves all the good that can possibly happen to him.

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree, it is sort of like Dutrow or Asmussen. Root for the horse, forget about the connections. At least in this case we can root for the trainer too.

4 members found this post helpful.

I saw the interview before it was pulled, and was absolutely horrified. What an insult to the people who are giving you a free trip to their country - and the best accommodations. He will be treated like a king while he is there. Plus, how can one "joke" about something like this? How would you feel if you had lost a loved one to a terror attack and someone is "joking" about it?

Obviously TVG found it offensive enough to pull all evidence of the interview from the Internet, but no apology has been issued.

Seriously, this guy needs to stop doing live interviews AND people need to stop making excuses for his continuous string of bad behavior.

I too feel sorry for Mr. Sherman.
    Last edited by Kim; Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typos

3 members found this post helpful.

I wish California Chrome good luck and hope he does come home the winner, for Art Sherman. It is not his nor Chrome's fault that Steve Coburn is an asshat. Maybe for once, we could hear from the other partner, or even, better, let Art Sherman do the talking...

I find it unreal that any person is enamored of an absolute monarchy with Arab sheikhs and their harems and think that horse racing is some kind of ambassadorial plum. So sorry that it does not bother you Gum that women are stoned and flogged but what is important is that horse racing is supported and you get the money. Plenty of bucks for people who are happy to stoop to take it and that includes everyone who deals with these medieval nuts.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ring-terrorism

http://secretdubai.blogspot.com/2007...g-cartels.html
    Last edited by Calamber; Mar. 16, 2015 at 06:10 PM.

John F Kennedy

Honestly, I would be somewhat uneasy about letting a horse to whom I was connected race in Dubai, and I doubt I would go in person despite having seen they don't have the draconian dress codes for women (at least not at Meydan) that you'd find in Saudi Arabia. (Not because I believe any of the myths about it 'ruining' a horse, though. Plenty have gone, won, and come back fine, and I hope Chrome does exactly that.) They are not as bad as Iran, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement and any Islamic country could be dangerously awkward at best for a single woman traveling alone, so I would probably decline.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    Exactly and you missed my point. You comment seems to imply to the average reader that Dubai is part of Saudi Aribia. That every country in the Middle East is of the same mentality. As I said the UAE have to “walk a fine line”. I am not going to digress into American mentality towards Middle Eastern culture and practices. I fully expected you to play the “how they treat women” card. I worked for an American educated Saudi Prince and had the good fortune to have some, one on one conversations outside of horses. It is far more complicated than the average American understands. Have had the same with others from the region and countries. My horse business has taken me and or introduced me to a number of people of different cultures. Average people. I have heard repeatedly, we like America, most like Americans, but we do not want to be American. Like you, we have our flaws, flaws that hopefully will be sorted out someday. But that day will come when it comes. Not in a time line set by American demands and ideas.
    Horses and the racing of them is a common reference point and I would like to see politics set aside. Something that Coburn and you should take into consideration. If Coburn has his “political convictions” with the Middle East then stay home. But I doubt that will happened he’s as “greedy” as they come.
    I would not pass judgment based on an article in the NY Times, nor completely based on our idea of “Freedom”.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...60504bc21ab69b
    Thank you gumtree for saying this. I have also dealt with numeous men from both UAE and Saudi through work as well as through horses. Actually even through cars.

I think the comment was awful. First because its a slap in the face to the country you are visiting. I can only hope that no more nonsense as well as uneducated comments come from his mouth, but I know they will.

Second because it makes americans look bad. I travel on my french passport to separate myself from the "loud, stupid Americans." With all that money you think he would buy himself a clue or maybe some class? He really needs to keep his mouth shut more often.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

11 members found this post helpful.