The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Funniest race ever! :D

This came up in my FB feed from COTH...it is like something out of Monty Python! The poor announcer trying to call this one...and if there had been an outrider - both of these people would have needed therapy afterwards!
    Enjoy!
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...n-french-race/
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

2 members found this post helpful.

This was wild to watch!

Oh my ! ROFL! Poor race caller trying to call that. Did cringe when those 2 horse go bolting right in front of the jump that the other 2 were about to jump.

Crazy!

P.
    A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

3 members found this post helpful.

I did not find this funny, horses running into fences, jockey falling off, bolting horses down the racetrack, what a fiasco! I cannot imagine that no one got hurt, maybe not fatally but I am sure there were injuries. wow
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

4 members found this post helpful.

You can't help but laugh. The off course, the jockeys off, and the general confusion were surprising enough, but the near misses were gasp inspiring. At least, that's what I did when those two horses crossed perpendicularly in front of the two on-course runners. I think they were on course runners. The camera man was following them, so I assumed, but who could know? Maybe the other two were on course. In any case, it looked like a California intersection. And then the guy (Spectator? Official? Press? Again, who knows?) who ran across the track just when the horses were cresting the jump. It looked like he barely escaped disaster. Oh dear. I actually said that out loud when I watched it.

Thank goodness everything turned out okay. The horse who crashed into the rail (another Oh Dear moment) was one of the four finishers. Or at least one of the four which the camera followed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I can't believe no one was injured seriously, thank goodness. That was a crazy course to begin with...

I was watching the debacle wondering why on earth they'd allow the race to continue with loose and bolting horses coming from all directions...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I saw that on a friend's FB link- shows why walking the course is so important! Being fluent in French, listening to the poor race caller trying to sort it out was amusing.

Who won?
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

I don't think even the announcer was clear on that...of course leave it to the French to sound rather blase no matter what's going on. That course was just nuts to begin with, but why didn't they have the field pull up once it was clear it was all going downhill? I mean, can they even be absolutely sure the four horses who finished cleared all the obstacles in the correct order at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCamry View Post
    Who won?
    I rewatched and tried to figure out which supposedly "caused" the debacle of the two who finished, but I honestly couldn't tell. At the fence where it all began to fall apart, the rider in red with checkered sleeves got bumped and forced wide, while the rider in blue with white sleeves got squeezed and had to go through a hedge. Neither of them were in the shot when half the pack decided to veer off through the infield.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

No, no, the announcer was clear, he called first and second as they finished, then there was a lag and the second pair, for third and fourth. Those two had I think been carried off course but corrected themselves and continued. And yes, the stewards can tell who has remained on course.

Heck, I can remember a hurdle horse in Virginia, in the early 90s, its first start and the instructions from trainer/owner to jockey were, just go out and have a school and stay out of trouble. Well, the 6 or so in FRONT of that horse went off course, jockey just kept plugging along on the correct course, and, well, couldn't resist urging a bit at the finish when another horse was approaching, and did just win. No harm to the long term 'schooling' of the green winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    No, no, the announcer was clear, he called first and second as they finished, then there was a lag and the second pair, for third and fourth. Those two had I think been carried off course but corrected themselves and continued. And yes, the stewards can tell who has remained on course.

Heck, I can remember a hurdle horse in Virginia, in the early 90s, its first start and the instructions from trainer/owner to jockey were, just go out and have a school and stay out of trouble. Well, the 6 or so in FRONT of that horse went off course, jockey just kept plugging along on the correct course, and, well, couldn't resist urging a bit at the finish when another horse was approaching, and did just win. No harm to the long term 'schooling' of the green winner!
    The Great Meadows (Va Gold Cup) course can be a bit confusing because they run several different “types” of races on basically the same “oval”. The Timber course is pretty straight forward being all “Timber fences” but there are several different flagged beacons that designate the “line” turns of that particular race. So if the jock is not careful, paying attention it is possible to cut a beacon. Inside or outside.

We had a really good horse in the Int’l Gold Cup a couple of years ago but I was not riding. I don’t ride my horses if I really want to win. My guy a very talented maiden was making fun of the big boys came into the last fence 5+ on top. Cleared the fence but stumbled twice upon landing going down to his nose but kept it together made up many lengths to the horse that took over the lead and just got beat. All of the “names” in the race were still many lengths behind. I was pissed but second was OK and the money was too.
    Go to pick up the horse, as my jock is taking off the tack another jock walks by and says “sorry buddy” but you went off course. WTF! Turns out he went outside of the wrong beacon. Which I thought was kind of BS because he went to the outside, the longer trip, not cutting the short leg. All I said “you’re lucky we didn’t win”.

As it turned out the reason my guy stumbled was due to a soft, boggy area on the landing side of the jump caused by heavy rains a the day or so before the race. My guy is a big strong horse with a huge strong stride. After landing he literally dug in while striding away from the jump and pulled the turf away from under him.

The Steeplethon course at the GC has been plagued with horses going off course. Because it is a mixture of the hurdle, timber courses with its own jumps. Normally jump course are flagged with red and white on the jumps so basically all you have to do is keep the correct color to the correct side of your body. Because there are a several courses at the GC they use different color flags lines for different courses. But they don’t re-flag the course for the race. There can be a number of different color flags hang on the same fence or beacon. Seems simple enough when walking the course or watching. A whole different story when riding a race.
    The last couple of years only a couple of horses have stayed on course. 2 years ago I believe it was the last 2 horses over the finish line that were declared the winner and placed.

I don’t believe I have ever heard the stewards call for ALL jockeys to the stewards stand. It is a $500 fine if you go off course and stay in the race. The stewards made a lot of money that day!
    If a jock goes off course they are not disqualified if they circle around reenter the course before the point they cut the beacon. Kind of the same as in golf when hitting out of bounds. Stroke and distance penalty. Or hitting into water. Only fined if you stay in the race.

But as some “pros” told me you never know what the stewards or other jocks see and don’t see so take the fine. Depending on circumstances a good owner will pick up the tab.

This season the Gold Cup addressed the Steeplethon course “confusion” issues.

It always looks pretty straight forward from the side lines. And I have gotten pretty pissed at some jocks over the years for what looked like stupid mistakes. After riding my first race a couple of years ago when asked after the race about it I said, “ I owe a few jockeys an apology”

I’ve seen a number of races that looked like the blind leading the blind.

Actually, I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often in those French cross-country races. Some of those courses are maze like labyrinths.... part of the race is on the main course, off into the infield, back on main course in other direction, into the field next door, sometimes I've seen them disappear into the woods for a minute or so and then reappear. Some of the jumps are jumped in both directions. Amazing the jockeys don't get lost more often.

Here's a few more "Grand Cross" races (as they call them) for anyone interested..

Grand Cross de Pau

Grand Cross de Craon

Grand Cross de Fontainrbleu

Prix Anjou-Loire

Btw, the horse that finished first in the OP's video was DQ'ed for interference.... after all that.

It wasn't interference, he took everyone off course if what is explained in the Paulick post is correct. I looked at it again and it was that horse and jockey.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Loved the third party comment - lady in the announcer's booth about halfway through "unconcievable, we gave them a map."
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Loved the third party comment - lady in the announcer's booth about halfway through "unconcievable, we gave them a map."
    Imagine if they had a gps - RECALCULATING. I actually named a show hunter that.

I also chuckle that, after all, it was le "Prix des bénévoles"
    Bénévoles = volunteers
    So who knows!!

and another interesting one, in France of course, where a car gets on the track too..
    http://www.equidia.fr/live/quant-voi...rse-dobstacle/

and a few more
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...zQ9IuASPDEKQIp