The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about cold therapy and magnetic therapy for soft tissue health and healing

I am curious about how people use cold therapy and or magnetic therapy in injured, recovering and perfectly healthy hard-working horses. Both individually and together.

For what indications or situations? How often, How long, before or after exercise etc? Please - bring the brilliance and your experiences / observations.

Thank you!

I use ice boots after harder training sessions in the hot summers here in AZ. My horse is 100% sound and healthy, but I think it's important to cool the tendons and ligaments after hard exercise. In the winter, when it's mild here, I usually just cold hose, but in the hot summers I don't even feel like our hose water gets cold enough to cool my horse's legs after work!

If you're curious about info and not just sort of polling people (can't tell from your post), this page has a few good articles on cold and heat therapy, but not on magnetic therapy. cold and heat therapy

Thanks! The link is useful. I follow a routine similar to yours. I guess I'm confused about magnets. My understanding is that they increase bloodflow, yet i've been reading articles about people using them to decrease inflammation, which seems contradictory. Am i confused. If what I said is true, when would I want that as opposed to the benefits of cold therapy.

I am unconvinced about magnetic therapy. I have heard some really astounding anecdotal evidence in their favor but just haven't seen the research to back it up. Although I generally keep an open mind.

I am a believer in cold therapy- cold hosing, icing legs after a tough jump school or strenous conditioning ride, or ice massage for the larger muscles

Thanks! Has anyone seen results in icing the hoof for MCL or other things?