The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Foxhunting a QH

Hey COTHERS! I was invited on a local fox hunt last week, as the season was extended. So I took my QH, thinking it would help him get fit, etc.. for eventing b/c that's his job. I had a great time, although the beginning seemed like a chinese firedrill (controlled chaos). My boy kept up, no question about him being fit, and had a great time. So I'm wondering, my horse received a lot of strange looks, I felt like he was being scrutinized. Little do they know he's like riding a sports car and he jumps, although we did non-jumpers. Is there a prejudice against QH's in the hunt field or was it just me imagining things in a new environment?

I think most of the field could care less if you were riding in a clown car, as long as you were properly dressed and your horse was behaved and up to the job.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

That's a positive. Yes, I was dressed and he did the job with manners.

Quote Originally Posted by juanbadcat View Post
    Is there a prejudice against QH's in the hunt field or was it just me imagining things in a new environment?
    Most likely you were imagining it, or misperceiving it. They were probably just looking at you because they didn't know who you were! There are a LOT of QH's and QH-x's in the hunt field.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I started hunting a quarter horse in Virginia in 1973. True, most folks hunted tbs, but nobody ever said 'boo', including at those Virginia hunts widely considered to be 'hoity-toity.' I should add that school horses I hunted 1971-73 included an app mare who was fabulous out hunting and a dun grade horse of indeterminate breeding. Sure, there was probably some latent 'snob factor' but that's not something I would pay any attention to anyhow. As has been noted, mostly, people care that your horse is well behaved and can get the job done.

That aforementioned quarter horse hunted until 1993, age 26. When he was 21, and I was competing him in the finals of the N. American Field Hunter Championships at Middleburg, a messenger was sent to inquire on behalf of a prominent foxhunter, who normally hunted only very fancy tbs, whether he might be for sale. I wouldn't have been opposed, necessarily, but I did point out he was 21 and so she might not be interested.

Over the years I've hunted 4 other quarter horses all (and 1 tb) all over the country and no worries!

It could be in your mind..maybe they were admiring you? There's lots of qh's and various "mutts" around where I hunt. Heck, some consider my WB and TB too flashy for the hunt field

don't worry about it! Plus, if you eventer is like mine, he loves the hunt and it has made him so easy on xc now.!

so kudos for you on hunting! try to keep it up, it will really help with eventing.

Oh at my hunt if word got out that the well behaved, well turned out horse was enjoying his very FIRST hunt, we would be chattering to and fro with great envy!!

Meanwhile we would be kicking on our tired horses or throwing back our shoulders to sloooooow down our "busy" horses and looking over our shoulder at you thinking "why not ME Lord!!!"

Then if Wateryglen was around I would shooo her away, share my flask with you and introduce you to her as my best friend. She would think I hang out with smart, well prepared horse people and be jealous of ME!

My hunt has so many different breeds of horses in the field- High Dollar names to No Names- there is a spot available for any horse that can handle the action. Congrats to you!

You all sound like professional, pleasant riders, thank you! Yes, I believe most of it was in my head b/c we didn't know too many although we have participated in the hunt's trail rides. Yes, SLW, you may be right b/c the woman ahead of me wanted no parts of me or my horse and made it very clear. The only thing she wanted to tell me was about the horse ahead of her "he's a kicker so don't get near him"....So I said "I hear they wear red ribbons to warn everyone" She said "YOU'VE BEEN TOLD!" Good grief, but what about everyone else?? I guess that's why I don't hunt - some of the old timers are quite snotty, honestly. I hate to say it, but eventing is just me and my horse doing a job, no one telling me this and that. I felt like my mother was scolding me. OH well, we had a nice time overall and my horse loved it. Great way of getting them fit!

I don't know, maybe you can all tell me why members don't take too kindly to visitors? I'm pleasant, have a flashy horse with manners, why are the members shall we say "stuffy"?

The only thing she wanted to tell me was about the horse ahead of her "he's a kicker so don't get near him"....So I said "I hear they wear red ribbons to warn everyone" She said "YOU'VE BEEN TOLD!" Good grief, but what about everyone else?? I guess that's why I don't hunt - some of the old timers are quite snotty, honestly.

I don't know, maybe you can all tell me why members don't take too kindly to visitors? I'm pleasant, have a flashy horse with manners, why are the members shall we say "stuffy"?
    Well, if each hunt didn't have at least one or two stuffy old snobs, you would not be enjoying the full range of the hunting experience, would you?

The person warning you about the kicker WAS doing you a service, the red ribbon is the etiquette but not everybody follows the etiquette! Hard to say for sure without full context of the situation, but if hounds are running, I don't particularly want to engage in questions or chit chat (though I try to be friendly about it and would have said, at the next check, I'll be happy to tell you more about that or something similar).

Don't let the few party poopers spoil your fun, most foxhunters across all generations are fun and fun loving and welcoming to anyone interested in the sport.

Some hunt riders go out to enjoy the social aspect, nothing wrong with that. But that said... if you start chatting up the type who is listening to and watching the hounds work, you may get a curt answer.
    Just know who you're talking to
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

You all sound like professional, pleasant riders, thank you! Yes, I believe most of it was in my head b/c we didn't know too many although we have participated in the hunt's trail rides. Yes, SLW, you may be right b/c the woman ahead of me wanted no parts of me or my horse and made it very clear. The only thing she wanted to tell me was about the horse ahead of her "he's a kicker so don't get near him"....So I said "I hear they wear red ribbons to warn everyone" She said "YOU'VE BEEN TOLD!" Good grief, but what about everyone else?? I guess that's why I don't hunt - some of the old timers are quite snotty, honestly. I hate to say it, but eventing is just me and my horse doing a job, no one telling me this and that. I felt like my mother was scolding me. OH well, we had a nice time overall and my horse loved it. Great way of getting them fit!

What I've seen is this, some horse's have kicked, only once 4 years ago so the rider may feel the red ribbon isn't neccesary. I was thankful with my hunt that my sponsor very kindly let me know which horses fit that description.

As for stuffy that is never good and I found that the more I hunted and met members, the more casual things became. So I hope that what felt stuffy for you wasn't that but rather folks just being polite without being overbearing. And if you find they are full time stuffy beings, like Beverly said, that just completes the experience!

A friend of mine who raises bucking bulls went riding with some hunt members a week ago- someone was interested in one of his horses. He enjoyed the time and confided in me that he is a hound guy to bone, 24/7 and was so curious about fox hunting but the fear of stuffitis afflicted folks came up. I told him fear not, there might be one or two but most fox hunters have day jobs and don't live off Pop's trust fund. He is coming out for our summer activities to get something ready to hunt in the fall.

Thank you all for your insightful words of wisdom. I will definitely go again. When they start staring at my horse, I'll know they're just admiring his beauty and manners
    Little do they know, I am riding on my poppy's trust fund
    but I don't dare tell them

I hunted a lovely Appendix mare with several well respected hunts on the East coast and she was loved by everyone. Several people have wanted to purchase her or have a baby out of her, but she's still hunting. She is owned by a gentlemen who is a Master at a hunt in GA, but hunts with hunts in VA/MD too. I had a blast on her and was never looked down on for her breed.

I hunt a BLUE ROAN QH so I definitely get a lot of looks and many compliments. Of course, the color oddity can go against a person if the horse is having a bad day as they definitely stand out in a crowd. Fortunately, my boy has been exemplary in his manners, but I certainly can be picked out.

Most hunts welcome new comers warmly and members will express open interest in a horse. Many will be chatty. Others not so and that can just be a case of their personality. I go to hunt first and fore most and while I enjoy the social interaction, I don't really care to spend my valuable time out in the field being a "babbler". That's for the after hunt tail gate!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Thumbs up Do it again!

I'm betting the snooty woman was just scared shitless of her own horse and the commotion herself. Sometimes they project THEIR problems/fears onto others or blame others for their horses behaviors or their own inability to control their horse or for their poor riding etc. There's always someone like that back in the second/third flights. They are really timid riders who lash out at anyone that scares them or they are jealous of. JMHO.

And I'm betting that the looks were those of admiration. Foxhunters are NOT breed conscious. Thats for other disciplines, not us! They are curious about newcomers though. QH's make fabulous fieldhunters. Please keep an open mind about us! You may have jumped to conclusions incorrectly! And the hunt you went out with??? FUN group! Give them a chance!!!

Yes, good points everyone. You all sound like the type I'd love to ride with. Believe me, I'm not a babbler, especially b/c I didn't know too many riders.
    Maybe this thread was a bit silly, so thank you everyone. I will press on and try it again someday.

I find this info encouraging, as of the three future foxhunters I own, my first choice will be my little TWP (Tn. walking pony) who is black and white. She was the only one that didn't go when I was bombproofing the gang with an umbrella. To be fair, PerchX wandered up a bit later looking very curious.
    TWP, as far as I can tell, does not gait. I've just seen walk, trot, canter, and mosey.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    I find this info encouraging, as of the three future foxhunters I own, my first choice will be my little TWP (Tn. walking pony) who is black and white. She was the only one that didn't go when I was bombproofing the gang with an umbrella. To be fair, PerchX wandered up a bit later looking very curious.
    TWP, as far as I can tell, does not gait. I've just seen walk, trot, canter, and mosey.
    One of our members bought a belgian/TWH cross for her husband to hunt. I am looking forward to seeing this mix!! They say the horse is awesome!!!

I've hunted a quarter horse - we didnt stand out at all!
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

SLW-
    TWP is the one who insists I accompany her and vice versa when outside, such as checking the mail, walking up the hill, and helping her close the gate to keep the Bay Mafia out.
    I should pop her over a few cross rails and see what happens.