The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For those of you with children ...

Now that Shane is 19 and leaving the nest, he has started to vocalize his opinion on the torments he had to tolerate growing up with a horse breeder for a mom. I really want to be sorry, but I came across this song today and had myself rolling around on the floor laughing. Stallion show, 15 year old boy, great dinner with lots of wine, and this song ... http://s0.ilike.com/play#Edvard+Grie...87a56c3b00e4e3 ... poor kid!
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I just hope with daughter will follow in my footsteps!

Well she already does... if one considers the fact that I muck stalls and turnout horses with her on my back in a baby carrier...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

My two daughters are OVERWEANED: The college grad climbs mountains, snow boards, and runs a ski lift, as well as being a successful artist. The other is in college in LA. My husband complains that our family is falling apart! I just say, "Come on home and muck, whenever you want to see me!"

I can't tell you how many times I have my kitchen set up as my lab, when my son comes home and wanders thru and goes <runs back to his room making grossed out noises>

He is almost 25 now, and the reaction doesn't get any better.

All I get on that link is the "In the hall of the mountain King", no lyrics... ?? I feel I am missing something!!!

I would have loved to have grown up with horsey parents, breeding, mucking, riding... heaven!!

Me too, what FalseImpression said.
    GreenGate Stables
    http://ggstables.webs.com/

I hardly ever feel sorry for boys with "horsey" parents. Whats so bad about their lives? Hmm let see, they get to spend a lot of time outside with big animals (and usually big toys like tractors), and- oh ya the best part- they get to spend their time with lots and lots of teenage girls. Whenever I see a boy at a horse show, there is usually about 6 girls trailing behind!

Okay ... had to dig around to find it and upload it to Youtube. This was just in fun and a contest of who could be the silliest. Shane got ahead of the music, but it was still very funny (probably one of those had to have been there things, though). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3rfysmKik He was just learning to handle and came up with this. Now he is our regular handler at inspections.
    Visit us on facebook!

I use my 2 year old son as slave labor already:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&id=603343382
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=364869183382
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=364869208382
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=364869213382

Soon I'll have to fight my husband for him though. In addition to our horse breeding program (which I run) we also have a dairy farm (which my husband runs).
    My 13 year old nephew stayed with us for 3 weeks last summer in the height of our breeding season...he learned about the birds and the bees real quick...I sure hope his parents had given him "the talk" before he came to stay with us!!

That's awesome!
    Visit us on facebook!

My son has told me he would never have a girlfriend that likes horses. He would never see her, she would always be at the barn!

That's what my husband said: All he ever sees is the back of my head as I go off to the barn.

I stared, waiting for him to make a point.

Actually, he's very supportive and has his own horse so he knows while I'm at the barn his boy will get a fair share of lovin' scritches, too!

My kids are good about my horse habit - they encourage! - and just about all my non-horsey friends have become surrogate foal Nanas and are downright EXCELLENT at wielding forks and shovels.
    GreenGate Stables
    http://ggstables.webs.com/

Oh, they all grow the ba**s to tell you what an awful parent you were when they leave the nest....then at 21 or 22 they come crying back to you for help with something or another!!

I'm not a breeder, but my son had many a dreadful evening being dragged to the barn with me and had to sit in the viewing room/lounge bored out of his mind for an hour and half when I went to ride my horse. He also said he'd NEVER be with anyone who loved horses....well guess what?! His steady girlfriend that he's been with since they were 15 is already bugging him to buy her a horse when they both graduate college! She wants to come to my house all the time to see our horses--poor dear son....

Now I have a much younger daughter (8 yo) who is just as horse crazy as I am, and poor DH has to put up with both of us!!

That video is PRICELESS--BTW... I could have never gotten my son to do something like that for me, although he's just as lanky, leggy, and athletic as your boy!

SJ66 that video was great! And Silver Lining is beautiful!

Loved the video!!!! My kids have many memories of mucking, showing, breeding etc... but the funniest is when they were quite small, I would put them in a clean stall with toys so they would be out of harms way. Looking back, that seems like I was jailing them, lol. My youngest is a freshman at college now but still helps with everything from fence repair to inseminating mares. I will miss him when he goes to a farther college next year.

We have two boys that event - 17 and 20 - they can't complain about anything and also work very hard on the farm. We are actually breeding horses for them to event.

They did hockey, golf, tennis, soccer, baseball and everything else when they were young.

While they once in while get upset when we get another horse, they know it is a business and there is a lot of hard work involved. They are just starting to really get the benefit of all the lessons and work by doing well. They love showing and so need to know that the work is necessary for the reward.

They also do farm work for other local farms.

OMG - I'd be on my face in the dirt! It's good to be young. Nice to see him enjoying the kinship with the horse.

My son SWORE that he would NEVER have anything to do with any female who wanted anything to do with horses - like LynneK and WBLover's sons. Then he got married and we have a lovely young step granddaughter (grown up enough to be ready to enjoy 'my' pony - who she now thinks is 'her pony'). The FIRST place that they head when they pull into the drive is straight out back to the barn. Haha he's all whooped now! He'll be leading her around and telling her that if he wins the lottery that he will buy her a backyard full of ponies.

The Pony in my Grandma:

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...100_3171-1.jpg Xmas sleighbell ride

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...nyrideJoJo.jpg
    Last edited by pony grandma; Apr. 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

to the music of Peter and the Wolf!!! It sure takes a lot of energy to show a horse!!!
    I hope he reconsiders as I know he has been helpful to you during foaling ie by manning the computer a few times... Beautiful horse too!!

Ummm....I knew I was in touble when my daughter at age 6 decided that for show and tell...she was going to explain artificial insemination to the entire kindergarten class.

All three of my my kids in one way or another are involved with the horses. Each one has gained a love and respect for them, and I truely believe it has made them very caring and understanding people.

I just hope that as they finish growing up....they will take what they learned from these beautiful animals, and apply it to their grown up lives.

Ok...but have you palpated and inseminated mares with your son in a backpack? I think mine may have been too young to remember...
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co