The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Priceless Craigslist Post

I have no words for this. Really?

I need an experienced adult rider to get my horse over thinking that if he bucks he will get his rider off his back. He bucks and he rears. He did not use to be this way. Due to abuse by a neighbor child and my inexperience, he has got this way. He only does it briefly. My friend rode him the other day but cannot come everyday to ride him because they live over two hours from here. Must sign a waiver protecting me in case you get hurt or killed. As I said he is not bad. He is a real good boy. He calms down quickly. I would do it but I do not have the courage or experience tod eal with something like that. NO HITTING MY HORSES> IT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED I am thinking 3 days of riding him should be good maybe an hour a day. If you can help let me know.
    Link to post here

Only three times? I at least think it will take four!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

just curious. was the Deliverance soundtrack playing along with this CL post. Stupid should hurt...
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Must sign a waiver protecting me in case you get hurt or killed. As I said he is not bad.

It must be taking her quite a while to sift through the hundreds of replies she's getting.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

It must be taking her quite a while to sift through the hundreds of replies she's getting.
    Yeah, really!
    "If you can't be thankful for what you have, you can at least be thankful for what you've avoided." author unknown

AND NO HITTING

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

But guys, really, he's a nice horse. It's not like he's bad or anything...

OMG - s/he lives in my county. Now y'all see the general level of horse knowledge we deal with around here.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

not sure why you are making fun of that ad. The person has a horse with issues. she realizes that mistakes make by her and by a neighbour caused this issues, and she realizes she doesn't have the skills to correct these issues. She doesn't want someone coming out and beating the crap out of her horse, and she wants someone professional enough to understand they are doing it at their own risk (when I take on training horses I DO sign something saying that the owner is not held reliable if I am hurt or killed).

The only "bad" thing I see is that she thinks it is a quick fix...but who knows, it may be, but even if it is not, that is just her not knowing better. I see no reason to make fun of her or her ad.

I'm not making fun - I think it's sad.

She's allowed a neighbor's child to mess up her horse and endanger itself. She's got a horse she's scared of. She seems to think some jackleg from CL can fix this situation.

I will guaran-damn-tee you the CL advertiser has never had saddle fit checked or teeth done.

In her defense, I will say we have some "trainers" around here (who charge good money) who are nothing but abusive thugs. Maybe she thinks that's the only kind of trainers there are, and she's not willing to subject her horse to them.

Or maybe she's just cheap and callous enough not to care if she gets somebody hurt or killed.

Either way, it's a sad comment on the state of horsemanship around here.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

Default Can't top this area...

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    OMG - s/he lives in my county. Now y'all see the general level of horse knowledge we deal with around here.
    We have backyard people who tie their horses out with logging chains. I made a comment one day about with as much as they spent on a 30' chain they could put up hot wire probably. I was told they probably stole the chain from the loggers in the area...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I see no reason to make fun of her or her ad.
    I do; she wants FREE training on a horse that sounds pretty dangerous (hence the liability waiver that she wants the lucky rider to sign)...and I suspect, from her "no hitting my horse, he's really a good boy" bit that said horse walks all over her and does whatever he wants. I'm not advocating beating the horse, but I bet the sucker needs some MANNERS in general and she probably wouldn't tolerate ANYTHING that doesn't involve giving Snookums handfuls of carrots while ducking to avoid getting hit with his flying hooves...that kind of ignorance is sad but may get someone seriously hurt.

Wow, how has this lady not learned about Parelli yet?

I don't see anywhere that she says she wants it for FREE - she doesn't talk price one way or the other - and signing a waiver, even as a trainer, is not exactly unheard of.

The only thing that turns me off is the "no hitting." I'm not some sort of horse beater, but a dangerous horse (and a bucking, rearing horse IS dangerous, even if otherwise well-behaved) sometimes calls for a smack or two with the crop as part of the attitude-adjustment process, and I wouldn't want to go into that situation with my hands tied as to which tools I could use.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by lesgarcons View Post
    Wow, how has this lady not learned about Parelli yet?

Obviously not, she is still trying to ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

No where in the ad does it state she wants free help.
    No where does it say she wants the horse trained with carrots or that the horse has bad manners in general. You are inferring things based on your own experiences. you may or may not be right, but I think that saying this particular person and her situation falls in those parameters is unjustified.

My inference would be that this person has just read/heard so many bad things about trainers using brutal quick fix methods that she doesn't want someone who is going to come in thinking they will beat the snot out of the horse to fix it.

Of course I may be wrong too.

I just take issue with anyone making fun of or belittling someone who sounds like they are trying to do the right thing for their horse. Comes across as snobby and can lead to people being afraid to ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Obviously not, she is still trying to ride.
    Maybe she just hasn't politely asked the horse for "permission" to ride yet. . .and he's really a very proper horse when asked nicely.

In all seriousness, though, it really is a sad advertisement.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I met a horse like this once. The owner let a teenager teach the horse to barrel race and did nothing but barrel race or train. She got that horse so sour he bucked and reared, even when not in an arena. There was a trainer working with the horse and he was better but not a horse you would really trust.

One day the owner let someone ride the horse who thought he was a better rider than he was.. Probably thought it would be funny to see the guy brought down a peg. Well, he wasn't laughing when the horse went over on the guy and crushed his pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    My inference would be that this person has just read/heard so many bad things about trainers using brutal quick fix methods that she doesn't want someone who is going to come in thinking they will beat the snot out of the horse to fix it.
    I think you're probably right. "Trainers" here commonly do lovely things like tying the horse's nose to its stirrup and leaving it for hours - to teach it what I've no idea. Or employing the old standby of beat the snot out of it.

I've emailed her and offered to help her find a decent trainer, if she's interested.
    Denny Emerson

Thumbs down

I see this all the time! People wanting to lease or share board their horse to someone who can "straighten him out" or "get him broke".

I also LOVE it when I get calls to come see a horse that is for sale but the owner is too afraid to ride it. They want me to "Sign here" and bronco bust for free. I even had a lady tell me that that was how she got all her horses broke for nothing "Just advertise him cheap enough so people will come out and try him. Especially kids or want to be trainers they LOVE to make them go through their paces. Then they give me a low ball offer I turn down and I save on training".

All i have to say is she will get a lot of hapless 12 yr olds knocking on her door.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"