The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ear Plugs or ??

I made a very interesting discovery yesterday morning.

I started riding during a break between two lessons. We had gotten about 10-15 min of work in and my gelding was going beautifully, I was really pleased.

Lesson started and within minutes my guy was very uncomfortable, he is a bit of worrier and this particular instructor is a "screamer". Looking back I now realize that Sunday mornings, while this particular lesson is going on, my rides are always less than satisfactory. (BTW, I've bumped into this lesson on and off since this past Dec.)

Part of me says "work thru it", he needs to get used to it.
    Part of me says, try ear plugs. I could also try and re-arrange my morning, so that I ride earlier, but that's not always an option. Any thoughts?

I think it depends on what you eventually want out of your horse. If you ever plan on going to a horse show, I would just "grin and bear it" in this case. There are many a show scene that has situations just like that, and at that moment is when you need to be your best. I know it stinks to have to work through because you're not getting any attention by your horse, but it can be helpful to desensitize him.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I agree with Quest 52. It may be a good learning experience for your horse. I'd try to push through if you plan on showing (loudspeakers at shows will probably be worse). Another thought is that you may be tensing up a lot during these lessons because the instructor is stressing YOU out which is then influencing your horse. Stay calm and centered yourself and breathe deeply during your lesson to see if it changes anything.

FOX News on the radio works well to desensitize for this

We have been working in an indoor over the winter with a sound system. The owner loves Fox. My horse, not so much at first. He seemed to want to know why he was being yelled at all the time.

He did learn it isn't always about him, but he much prefers a mellower station, preferably music.

I think I'd want to wear earplugs, too if my trainer was a "bit of a screamer" LOL

We do plan on showing a little bit this year, so I guess it would be better to try and work thru it. And yes, good point, I may be tensing up too.

BTW, this is not my instructor, not my lesson. But if it were, as Shiaway mentioned, I would be inclined to wear ear plugs myself!

I'd have to wear earplugs if FOX was on the radio while I was riding. Might have to change barns.

How old is your horse? Ear Plugs are good for younger horses while they're naturally a little more nervous. You can always phase them out as he get's older.

That's what I did with my horse. Ear Plugs at lessons and shows for the first few when she was a baby brain, then after a while they weren't necessary anymore.

shg - he just turned 11. We've been in the same barn for about four years - but, I just bought him in December - he was one of my trainers' horses. So, he is on familiar ground. This instructor is new - she started giving lessons on Sunday mornings about the same time I bought my guy.

Do YOU get anxious listenning to this particular trainer? I am wondering if it is more than just the horse reacting, in which case ear plugs for the horse won't help....maybe you both need a set (that would be a hint for the coach if everyone who rides while she is teaching wears ear plugs!)

CHT - It's quite possible - heck, anything's possible! I'm not sure she'd get the hint, but it might be worth trying.