The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default still diarrhea...

Me again. I know you're sick and tired of me. I'm sick and tired of me!

So my horse still has really loose manure (it varies a little bit, seems to be a bit worse after exercise) since Jan 29. Literally it started on the 29th which was the day after I de-wormed him with strongid paste.

I've since done a power pack treatment almost 2 weeks ago. And he's been on probiotics since the power pack which have only managed to make his soft poop smell really stinky!

I'm feeling like this is it for him and he's just going to have loose poop forever now. *sigh*.

I really thought it was encysted strongiles and the powerpack would clear it up.

Any suggestions would be appreciate, though I know it's a long shot. The vet didn't really have any help for me.

One of my boarders went through this. I won't bore you with all the different things she tried, but it was everything.

Anyway, what finally worked was: feed 1/2 coffee can of Alfalfa pellets just before the horse is worked (like when you put him in the stall to pee or something.) Worked like a charm. Turns out it keeps the ph of the stomach under control, esp. during work.

Good luck!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

metrodinazole? didn't spell that right..
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    metrodinazole? didn't spell that right..
    Metronidazole.

My mare, who has chronic watery manure, was on metronidazole to try and cure it. All it did was give her a bit of an upset stomach.

I've heard good things about Biosponge. I've yet to try it myself, for my mare I discovered it's eating lots of high-water-content grass that causes the watery manure. She's a picture of health otherwise, so I don't worry about it. It's not all-out diarrhea either.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

How old is the horse? Might it have the equine version of Crohn's Disease?

Coach just went through three months of the runs with her old horse. Tried probiotics, which did nothing, because by the time that stuff gets to the hindgut, it's pretty much played out.

What finally cleared it up was a round of Prednisone.

It can be frustrating!

He's 11, Lusitano gelding. I'll ask my vet this week when he comes for spring shots, about the prednisone.