The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You CAN'T afford basic care but CAN afford a trainer???VENT

So I just had a boarder leave (and was glad to see her go) who routinely had no money for the farrier, dentist, vet...I always ended up paying the bill and waiting months to get reimbursed. She just left to put the horse in FULL TRAINING at $900/month...with feet that haven't been trimmed since last September Like I said, happy to see her go.

However, its time for spring shots...sent out the email about scheduling and had another boarder say she would have to wait because she doesn't have the $$$-the next day she tells me she has a trainer coming three times a week to work with her horse!!! WTF???? I replied "oh good, so obviously you CAN afford the vet-I'll put your horse on the list" WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Default Scary story, have you told the new alleged trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    So I just had a boarder leave (and was glad to see her go) who routinely had no money for the farrier, dentist, vet...I always ended up paying the bill and waiting months to get reimbursed. She just left to put the horse in FULL TRAINING at $900/month...with feet that haven't been trimmed since last September Like I said, happy to see her go.

However, its time for spring shots...sent out the email about scheduling and had another boarder say she would have to wait because she doesn't have the $$$-the next day she tells me she has a trainer coming three times a week to work with her horse!!! WTF???? I replied "oh good, so obviously you CAN afford the vet-I'll put your horse on the list" WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?
    As disgusting as that is, you would probably make a friend for life if you told that trainer of paragraph one that he or she will never see the $900, before he or she puts any time into the critter. You may be able to clue in the visiting trainer of boarder 2, also.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Mar. 11, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarity
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post

You should have been very happy to see boarder #1 pull out of the driveway

I think I would politely tell boarder #2 that vaccines are not optional and if she wants to keep the horse on your farm the trainer will have to wait.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post

I think I would politely tell boarder #2 that vaccines are not optional and if she wants to keep the horse on your farm the trainer will have to wait.
    I agree 100 percent. You as the owner/barn manager can say when an outside trainer can come over and provide sservices.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Oh, the joys of having boarders! Agree about the spring shots--those are not optional and should be the highest priority before getting a trainer. Scary how some people think.

They're taking the piss and obviously know who they can mess about and indulge in delaying payment.

Sounds like you may be allowing this or in some way giving them permission to think you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    They're taking the piss and obviously know who they can mess about and indulge in delaying payment.

Sounds like you may be allowing this or in some way giving them permission to think you will.

Most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Our Pepperoni boarder recently filled out a stall card like this:

Horse Name: Dobbin

Owner Name: Pepperoni

Veterinarian name: Father Smith from the local church.

I kid you not.

Apparently, Father Smith received veterinary training in the seminary lol.

When gently prodded by the BM that she needed to list an actual veterinarian (of her choosing) in case of emergency, she responded with "oh well I can't afford Dr XYZ, so I just have our pastor do it"

Oh, did I mention she just got a brand new $1200 puppy? And two new saddles?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Grataan-I think your barn needs a Pepperoni intervention!!!

I don't know how you have to patience to deal with this fruitbat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post

Boarder 1 is a confirmed asshat, but boarder 2? Probably isn't blessed with the world's greatest measure of common sense, but there may be a halfway reasonable explanation for her beahvior.

Spring doesn't technically begin until March 20, 2010. I know people who don't get their spring shots done until late April or early May. Who said it's gotta be in mid-March?

Faced with the prospect of having to write a huge check for training or delay her horse's training for a month, maybe boarder 2 decided to write big check that didn't feel good to her bottom line, and she's waiting for her next pay check to get shots done (in April, which is still "spring" by anyone's definition).

Would I have made the same decision as boarder 2? Nope, but I'm also the kind of boarder who sets aside specific "untouchable" money for vet care and is pricing out orders for spring shots in mid-February and would be so grateful to my BO for organizing a group farm call for the Coggins/rabies. But that doesn't make boarder 2's decision "wrong" or automatically indicative of scattered priorities.

Certainly you should talk to boarder 2 about when she plans to get spring shots, but give her a chance without conflating her with Asshat Boarder #1.

I've been thinking about this (after I stopped laughing at Pepperoni boarder-maybe it's an "all God's creatures" type of thinking?!!)...

Boarder #1- we've probably all had boarders like this. They talk one thing and do another. They pretend that money doesn't matter but never pay on time! The only thing I have to say about them is "good riddance". It is a good idea to let the trainer know of her very slow credit. It's not worth taking on a client who won't pay!! What's the point?

Boarder #2- the horses health should take priority over the training at this point. Yes, there is a variation as to when spring shots are given depending on where you live, but how much money are you really saving if you have to have the vet out for a separate visit? That doesn't make sense to me. I'd also rather have the horse have vaccinations up to date in case the trainer decides it's time to start taking the horse off the property or whatever.

Spotmenow- I think that you handled the situation correctly. This is a situation where what that owner decides to do can affect the entire herd at your farm, and that takes precedence. As farm owners, we are responsible for ALL the horses under our care-the owner is only thinking about her horse and her priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post

I don't. So I go on a trail ride and let Treasure RIP at a fast gallop. Then I go home and have pizza and beer (sometimes beer and pizza)

And I snicker when she falls off and lands on her butt. Then I give her horse a big pat when she leaves.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

It definitely sounds like getting rid of the first boarder was a blessing for you. Just make sure that the second boarder doesn't skip out on getting her horses shots. Otherwise, you should tell her to move her horse from your place if she can't keep him vaccinated. Really, I am so glad that I am not in the boarding business.

It's more common than I had previously imagined.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

First boarder - common, good riddance!

Second boarder - well, there might be more to it, you never know. Last year due to job loss, massive vet bills, etc., I really struggled financially. I cut back everywhere I could to save money. My horses still got their shots, but I didn't show, didn't attend clinics, didn't buy new halters, tack, etc., worked at the barn more to help pay board, my QH had to go off his supplements for a while, etc. I didn't go out to eat, didn't spend money on ANYTHING even after I found a new job because I had to catch up at that point.

I did, however, have a monthly lesson with my regular dressage trainer, and my horses never missed a trim. I suppose that would looked strange from the outside. Most people knew I lost my job and money was tight. But very few people knew that my trainer and farrier refused to take payment all summer. I paid the farrier back this fall - over major objections. But the trainer - I'm doing work for. Creating her website, help to organize her weekends here, getting her in at other barns I know people at, helping her with her marketing materials and with the book she just finished writing. My horse is in her book and she recently said he was the inspiration for it. He'll be in pictures and is being used as an example throughout the book - pictures I'll take

So ... without knowing the arrangment, don't be quick to judge. Maybe she has a tradeout with the trainer too. But no matter what, I'd stand your ground that the horse must have shots by X date - whenever that is. Around here, we do spring shots late April/early May.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post

What she said. Vaccines, farrier and worming (I include worming in the cost of board) are NOT optional. I have my customers set up an account with vet, must prepay me for farrier or have a check for the farrier when he comes (farrier also not optional). If not, adios amigo. Sent one home over the summer whose owner refused to call vet when horse was definitely in pain. Just be firm. Polite, but firm. Put it in your board contract and in the rules and be prepared to make an example of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    What she said. Vaccines, farrier and worming (I include worming in the cost of board) are NOT optional. I have my customers set up an account with vet, must prepay me for farrier or have a check for the farrier when he comes (farrier also not optional). If not, adios amigo. Sent one home over the summer whose owner refused to call vet when horse was definitely in pain. Just be firm. Polite, but firm. Put it in your board contract and in the rules and be prepared to make an example of someone.
    Yes, this is why I too include worming in the board...not worth putting my own horses at risk.

It IS in my boarding contract, but it doesn't say WHEN you have to have it done, so I looked up the vaccination dates on her horse and told her that he is due by the end of March per the contract. She agreed to have him done when the vet comes for the rest of the barn after all and guess what-the trainer isn't coming until April!!! Why did I have to be the one to prioritize for her? She's a 42 year old woman, not a teenager.

I heard through the grapevine that boarder #1 did pay the trainer but not her RENT, so she got charged a late fee and was PISSED! Soooo glad to be done with her.

Sometimes I'd like to throw out all the boarders...need to go buy a lotto ticket

A lot of people jerk around whom they can and pay up where the other party is demanding it.
    A lot of time it has nothing to do with wealth either..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I know a person worse than that (maybe)
    Goes out to a $300 dinner at a 5 star and horses don't even have halters that fit (causing wounds) but "can't" afford $12.95 (from Jeffers for example) a piece to get halters that will fit her horses that she "LOVES more than life" people like that make me sick.
    Its the ones that bust their buts to do the right thing even if that means going without the nice to haves that earn my respect.
    Not that I'm special or anything.. just wanted to add my two cents.