The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

My mare had a lovely Dark bay filly this afternoon, by emergency C section. The foal presented on her back with her neck deflected and she was just enormous!

They were both doing well when I left the hospital, but please send get well wishes their way.

My mare had a lovely Dark bay filly this afternoon, by emergency C section. The foal presented on her back with her neck deflected and she was just enormous!

They were both doing well when I left the hospital, but please send get well wishes their way.

I am jingling like crazy from North Carolina!! Bless the little one and mom!

Jingling for you. Who is your filly by?

Northern VA, USA - where farm land is being lost to McMansions

Blueskidoo are you in my neck of the woods? and did Lauren help you today? If so the vets called me first today by mistake (my number and Laurens are very similar) they didn't say what it was concerning, but then I got a few calls from friends wondering if one of my mares where in trouble.

I hope both your mare and foal make a 100% recovery good luck and keep us updated.

Seems there has been one too many C sections this year-very scary http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif
    Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com Warmblood Pintos

jingling like mad in Indiana!!!

Jingles, Jingles in Quebec !!!!

Poor mare and filly; hope it will be allright !!! Good luck Blueskidoo.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE!!!!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

JINGLES!!!!!
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Jingles for your mare and filly.

It's so good that you were able to get the mare to the hospital in time. When you noticed the filly was presented wrong, what did you do to help stop labor? Get the mare up and walking till you could load her? Also, how long was the trip ?
    ~ Scarborough Fair Farm ~

Jingling from Georgia. Praying too!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Sending lots of good wishes and prayers for the continued good news. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif Keep us updated.

Sending many jingles for your mare and filly from Minnesota! Keep us updated!

big old TEXAS *JINGLES* for your mare and filly. That sounds VERY scary!
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Thanks for the jingles! I'll be off to see them later this morning. They didn't call last night, so things must be OK so far.

Pintofoal- Yup, that was me. Lauren was amazing, I couldn't have done it without her. (and we never met before that!)

The foal is by PWynnnorman's now deceased Theodore. A really special foal to say the least, out of a very special mare.

The story goes like this...

I'd been having a bad feeling the last couple weeks, though everything was still within normal limits, I just couldn't shake it off.

Mare lays down, I know she's going to foal. I go down to check on her, nothing has really started to happen, so I glove up and reach in, and there is all this pink tissue in the way. I'm thinking "oh my god, it's a red bag" but the tissue was pink. I feel around a bit more and find an opening and grab two feet and pull them through. The feet are pointed up.

I'm on the phone with the vets office in seconds, "foal is breech!" get the mare to her feet and stand her frond end down hill. Vet's office calls back and says, vet is an hour away, but we have called someone in your neighborhood to come help you. Lauren arrives in less than 10 minutes, and stickes her hand in the mare. she holds the foal back and I run for the truck and trailer and we take off to Morvan park. Lauren rides in the back of the trailer and pushes the foal down as hard as she can to keep the mare from pushing. (While I was getting the trailer she figured out that it wasn't breech, it was on it's back and the neck was deflected.)

We get to morvan park, and the vet starts telling me my options, and I was like "what is my best chance for a live mare and foal at the end" He says C section, I say "then do that!" They take the mare away and at about 3:15 the foal was born. Approx an hour and 20 minutes from the mare laying down.

It was amazing, and terrible to see my poor mare on her back with her innards hanging out while the vets struggled to get the foal out (she really is huge) and then they sewed her back up. The surgen found a tumor on her intestians, a lypoma? she said these fatty toumers can eventually strangulate the intestians and cause colic, so she took it off. Good for her!

So now we wait and see if the mare is ok, and the foal doesn't take to much of a dip at 12 hours, apparently these foals usually suffer a bit of backsliding in their condition at that time. And the mare has to pass the placenta, they are going to work on that this morning, the mare tried to prolapse her uterous on the table, so she wanted to give things a bit of time to settle down before she gives her oxytocin. So we know that could prove a tricky complication.

Thanks so much fpr all the jingling! They really need it.

I hope this story helps someone else.

Continued jingles from Ontario.........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blueskidoo:
    The surgen found a tumor on her intestians, a lypoma? she said these fatty toumers can eventually strangulate the intestians and cause colic, so she took it off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, lipoma, that can turn into a strangulating lipoma which is how I lost my TB 6 months ago http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

How scary and how VERY lucky it is that you were home! Jingles for everyone's healthy recovery!

Holy Cow! Jingling like crazy here!

OMG! Someone just emailed me about this! Oh, poor Mystery!!! Do keep me posted (C, when things settle down, CALL ME, OK?).

Jingles and THEN SOME!
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Jingles for all the special ladies involved...mare, filly, owner, Lauren....

Jingles jingles jingles....
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE