The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question UPDATED: With Pics!!To buy or not to buy...That is the question???

I have come across a tried and true Large pony for my daughter. After the slew of green ponies we have always had, we an now in a position to buy her a teacher. I have come a cross what sounds like a great opportunity for everyone involved. He is older, sound with no maintenance issues and would be able to teacher he so much. Fancier than we ever thought we would be able to afford. Ok so what is the question right.
    Well over a year ago he was hit in the eye when on the cross ties with a bungie cord. Eye has healed and the pony has been shown over the last few months. It doesn't look like it has effected him in the least. I already have a mare with a similar story, and she sees great, and it doesn't effect her on bit.(treating the eye when it originally happened was no fun though).
    Question is would this be a deal breaker if all else is perfect.
    Thanks in advance.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

You have already answered your own question.

You, as a buyer, are hesitating-based on the history.

What does your vet say? And what limitations does the pony have as per the competition rules?

Answers to these questions will affect his value.

Not even close to a deal breaker for me.

One of my project ponies suffered an eye injury that required surgery and it healed just fine and we think she could see pretty well. I've known several ponies that are blind in one eye and at least one who had the eye completely removed and all led happy, healthy, jumping careers.

If the pony is currently succeeding at the level you want it for, I see no problem. It's not as if the pony has a degenerative disease, it was the result of a freak accident.

Is the pony's vision compromised?

Um, if you haven't bought him already you'd better get on w/it or I will!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Smile

How do you go about finding if there are rules against him showing? My daughter would be mainly showing locally at first, but would like the opportunity to show at rated shows down the road. He has shown A and C shows since the accident. I think I am actually a little less leery as some, as I do have a mare with with a similar injury. Am I crazy...I would rather deal with an old eye injury than leg or hoof issues. BTW his legs are clean and he is sound barefoot. I am just curious if this would be a deal breaker for most. He no longer needs treatment for the eye.
    Would you as a seller be insulted if I asked to see the medical records from the accident? I always offer up everything I have on a horse or pony for sale.

"Is the pony's vision compromised?"
    I would have to think to some extent, but nothing that is effecting him fro doing his job. Doesn't even look at the fences.

"Um, if you haven't bought him already you'd better get on w/it or I will! "
    LOL. That's what I am afraid of!!!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

It would be no problem for me if the vet thought he could see well enough to do his job, he was already doing his job with no ill effects, and the vet thought his vision was likely stabilized.

What's wrong with the eye that would make it against the rules for him to show? As long as he performs fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.

As per the general USEF rules (http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBo...ralrules.pdf):

GR841 Soundness.
    Unless specific division rules state otherwise, all animals except stallions and mares in
    Breeding classes must be serviceably sound for competition purposes i.e., such animal
    must not show evidence of lameness or broken wind. Animals with complete loss of sight in either eye may be found serviceably sound at the Judge’s discretion, except in a class over fences where a Judge may ask a rider to change horses.

Also...

4. The official veterinarian’s decision, if requested by the judge as to the serviceable soundness of a horse (i.e., whether the horse shows evidence of lameness, broken wind, or complete loss of sight in either eye), will be final for the purpose of awarding ribbons in the class for which he has been called.

The way I read it your (potential new) pony should be just fine. Do you other COTH'ers agree?

There have been some successful AA level Hunters with a blind eye. One is still doing 2'6" around here in mid teens on our competitive local affiliate circuit. Beat me last time out as she did years back at 3' under a previous owner.

Did this Pony lose an eye? Is it obvious to an observer? Division Ponies have to jog so it could drop you if it is obvious.

It's up to the judge-if it's not obvious? How would they know?

I will say a rider needs to give any one eyed Hunter plenty of room in front of anything off a corner on that blind side and an EQ course roll back to that bad side just cannot be tight.

I would expect the price to reflect the limitation a bit if it is not obvious and alot if it is.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

When my horse had his eye removed I had a few vets (big vet school clinic)tell me there are a couple of big time hunters out there with prosthetic eyes. I can't imagine anyone would say anything unless the pony goes around with his head tilted to the side.

My guy still jumps and I don't have to make any adjustments for hunter courses and I can still make tight turns (well, as tight as an 18h horse can make a turn) for jumper courses as long as I do make a few minor adjustments to my ride. Obviously I can't show him in the hunters, but he does just fine other than that.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

If you want to know the truth, I'd much rather buy a horse witha known issue that is disclosed and can be accurately assessed by a vet, than a horse with an issue that is either not known or not disclosed! EVERY horse has an issue, period! I feel much more comfortable when someone says "they have this problem....." and I can then make an educated decision. You could probably NEVER afford the pony (based on what you say in your original post) if he was "perfect" so that is what youa re trading off to not have to buy a greenie for less $$

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    If you want to know the truth, I'd much rather buy a horse witha known issue that is disclosed and can be accurately assessed by a vet, than a horse with an issue that is either not known or not disclosed! EVERY horse has an issue, period! I feel much more comfortable when someone says "they have this problem....." and I can then make an educated decision. You could probably NEVER afford the pony (based on what you say in your original post) if he was "perfect" so that is what youa re trading off to not have to buy a greenie for less $$
    Totally agree. Thank you. I feel much better now.

Skip change"The way I read it your (potential new) pony should be just fine. Do you other COTH'ers agree? "
    I sure hope so.
    As I understand he still has vision to some degree. I will know for sure tomorrow.

I will keep everyone posted!!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Thought I would add an update. We had an appointment the next day but got snowed out. When we went to reschedule the pony was on his way to KY for trail. I figured he was sold so we decided to send my mare to a trainer for a couple of months to bring her back into shape after weaning her foal. After almost 2 months I called the agent of the pony to see if by chance he was still available as I had someone who wanted a full sibling to the foal I had sold and I need to breed my mare back. Yes he still had the pony.. I couldn't believe it. I aSSumed something had to be totally wrong if he had not sold for the very reasonable price he was advertised at. At this point they were pretty much just looking to move the pony. I hooked up my trailer and brought my daughter and my mom with me to try him. If he was sound and sane he was coming home...Well here they are 3 months later. The pony has put on a bunch of weight and is really coming into his own. My daughter, who had over a year off of riding is starting to get back into the swing of things. We are pretty sure he is completely blind in his one eye but he has such a heart, no stop and has given my daughter all the confidence. They showed at a local hunter show together where they were Reserve Champion. We are really enjoying watching them develop a partnership and memories that will last a life time. They have a show this coming weekend and then the following weekend. She is so excited to show off all of their hard work.

BTW 8 people turned away this pony at a price much less than most peoples used saddle. I am thankful they did. Just goes to show you never know how thing will work out. My mare is pregnant again to Escapade and my daughter got her a great pony!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	30128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	30129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	30130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	30131  
    Last edited by alliekat; Jul. 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Add info
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Oh my gosh, he is ADORABLE! Your dd looks great on him!!!! Congrats!!

They look fantastic! Congrats!

He's super cute! Congratulations! He and your daughter look great together.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Oh my, they look wonderful together!

So glad you ended up with him. He's a real cutie and your daughter looks quite happy and confident up there.

Thank you everyone. We love him. Today we trailered him to a friends so my daughter could hack him out with her friend. He is always a perfect gentleman!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

If there's nothing wrong with the eye then I don't even understand why there's a question mark.

Did I miss something?

He has limited vision in it. So far it has not been an issue at all. That was the only issue. Not so much for me. I am happy that we bought him!!! If he didn't have that issue we would have never been able to afford him.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube