The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have an older Rambo t/o sheet that's in perfect condition except it is no longer waterproof. I used the waterproofing that Rambo suggests, cant think of the name right now, but had no success w/that.

Someone told me Thompson's Water Seal would work. Is this true or do ya'll have some other products that you have been successful with. I DONT want to spend $200 buying another sheet for a retiree who has more outfits than I do!

www.artistichandstudio.com/tylerspage.jpg

Where Blondes DO Have More Fun!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

I have an older Rambo t/o sheet that's in perfect condition except it is no longer waterproof. I used the waterproofing that Rambo suggests, cant think of the name right now, but had no success w/that.

Someone told me Thompson's Water Seal would work. Is this true or do ya'll have some other products that you have been successful with. I DONT want to spend $200 buying another sheet for a retiree who has more outfits than I do!

I wash and repair blankets for a living. I absolutely would not use Thompson's Water Seal; your sheet will not be breathable if you use that.

I use the Nikwax Synthetic Rug Proof; it is a wash-in product that I have had much success with. You must use either Rambo Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash before you use the Rug Proof or it will not work.

Good luck
    Taryn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tarynls:
    I wash and repair blankets for a living. I absolutely would not use Thompson's Water Seal; your sheet will not be breathable if you use that.

I use the Nikwax Synthetic Rug Proof; it is a wash-in product that I have had much success with. You must use either Rambo Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash before you use the Rug Proof or it will not work.

Good luck
    Taryn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Does this only work on blankets that were once waterproof? Or will it work to waterproof non-waterproof or only water-resistant blankets??

Thanks, Taryn for your input. It was the Nikwax waterproofing that I used and I just went into the tack room and read the label again. It only says to use with a CLEAN blanket, not that it HAS to be washed with another Rambo product. What's the big deal w/the blanket having to be also washed with something that Rambo markets? My local tack shop carries the waterproofing, but not the wash stuff.

Is there another product that will work as well? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

I use campdry, it works just fine. I spray it on my cleaned blankets after they are washed, and let them airdry (and unsmell ) for a day afterward. I don't know it's cost comparison to the nikwax stuff-i also have a gallon of new, non silicone spray waterproofer, which is really nice and smells better. I would never recommend the thompson's either

Elippses Users Clique........Co-Founder Occularly Challenged Equine Support Group, "I hate stall rest"and now the "Better riding through Chemistry Clique"

"What the fuh?" Robby Johnson

Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Big Belgian, the point is that it has to be clean. Go to your nearest sporting goods/camping store and get some Nikwax wash. Wash the sheet first and then re-waterproof it.

''Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.''
    - Pablo Picasso
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Sleepy, OF COURSE my sheet was CLEAN prior to me using the Nikwax waterproofer! Im certainly NOT going to try waterproofing something that was filthy.

I dont understand why it has to be washed with a specific product, i.e, Nikwax Wash, if the directions on the label only say "clean", not "wash only with Nikwax Wash or this stuff wont work". Nowhere on the label does it even suggest that the waterproofing wont work unless you use their wash. I followed their directions precisely and the waterproofing did not work for me. I wanted to know if anyone had any other success using something else.

I don't think it's the specific product so much as it is it has to be a very mild detergent or real soap. And unfortunately that doesn't seem to be available in the supermarket anymore. They've changed the formualtions on Ivory and Dreft.

''Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.''
    - Pablo Picasso
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

BB, the "wash" formulated for washing blankets probably cleans better and rinses better from the sheets/blankets than other soaps or detergents creating a foundation that will allow the waterproofing to work to its fullest...

I flunked Chemistry class but it just stands to reason that if one would want to use a specific waterproofing product that one would want to use the same brand of "wash" to launder it, if only to ensure success... I'm sure it has something to do with molecules and the process of bonding which I do not understand and, therefore, cannot explain to you... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif But it's at work!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I believe it also takes some time for the waterproofing to cure--more than just overnight... If you didn't give it sufficient time to dry and "cure" before sending the blanket out in the rain then this could be another reason why it failed...

Perhaps it would be less hassle for you to just send your blankets and sheets out to a horse laundry and have them worry about all that for you!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif Then, if it doesn't work you have someone to blame... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Thompson's Water Seal was made for sealing concrete and wood--not for fabrics... Not only that but I would be afraid to put it on my horse with all those chemicals in it--you'd better think long and hard before using that!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

"Everything looks good until you start to examine it!!!", uttered by me on more than one occasion

[This message was edited by Cherry on Nov. 13, 2003 at 06:37 PM.]
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Thanks, Guys. Sheesh, I didnt realize Id have to have a degree in chemistry in order to water proof a lousy sheet!

To top it off, the stinking Goretex sheet that I have has also stopped being waterproof! Both sheets are in perfect repair, perfectly clean and perfectly useless to me as a wet weather turnout. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif

What you wash it with makes a HUGE difference whether or not the Nikwax waterproofing will "take". The Nikwax Synthetic Rug Proof will work on any synthetic fabric, doesn't matter if it was once waterproof or not.

I am actually looking at the label right now and instruction #1 is: "Clean garment first using a non-detergent soap (such as Nikwax Tech Wash)."

Regular laundry detergents (Tide, etc..) leave a residue on the fabric and the waterproofing agent cannot penetrate through it.

Another important thing to consider with the Nikwax product is for it to work to its fullest, you need to put the sheet in the dryer (on medium or high setting) afterward. They also state that on their label.

Good luck...

Taryn

OK, so what ARE you supposed to wash blankets with? Are there any "regular" detergents (like Woolite) that can be used?

Last time, I think I washed mine in Planet or one of those eco-friendly detergents...

Geez Big Belgian, you've really wrecked my evening. Your GORETEX isn't waterprooof anymore? Good heavens, I thought it was supposed to be so forever. I bought two last year and hoped they would go on and on and on. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Hi !

Carr Day and Martin (UK) make a fabulous blanket reproofer ! They also make a blanket refresher which gets rid of "old smell" ...

Yours in sport,

Lynn

Founder of the Pinto Warmblood Clique

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A great waterproofing spray-on available cheap at wal-mart. It's called silicone water guard. 100% waterproof and breathable. Comes in a can with a bright orange lid. It's also available at some camping stores. Much cheaper than scotchguard but does take 2 cans to do a turnout thoroughly. Some of my rambo's are 12 years old and still going strong.

We always use Scotchguard. Available at grocery stores.

Darlyn
    http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Chartley, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! THANK YOU! Im off to Walmart tomorrow.

Sadly, 3dazey, the Goretex bit the dust only after two years of so so water repellancy. I think it was made by Classic. I know it was pretty expensive, like $275.00, and I was sorely disappointed in it. I hope you have better luck w/yours!

So far so good with my Gortex. I have some that are going on 4 yr's old. Also made by Classic.
    They are turnouts, the outer fabric has lost it's waterproofing, however luckily so far the gortex liner still keeps them dry. I also have used camp dry with Rambo's in the past. Will need to check out the nik wax. Guess I'll have to get out the cheese grater and buy Ivory bars and grate them into the washer. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif Or is that not pure soap anymore either?

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

Would Orvis work as well, since it seems to be something recommended for washing delicate lace, as well as a product used on the horses themselves??

~&lt;&gt;~ COTHBB Leather Care Guru~&lt;&gt;~
    ~Member of the *Horse Vans Rock* clique~

"Onomatopoeia...isn't that in Hawai'i?"--Colin Deschamps