The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Illustrated features *drum roll* the GYPSY VANNER! *rolls eyes*

As if these crazy people breeding these back yard magical mystical hores need any more encouragement... now Horse Illustrated is featuring the Gypsy Vanner in its March issue. Seriously? They're just encouraging the fruitbats! When the horse sprouts wings or maybe a horn in the middle of its forehead, I'll believe the hype.

And that is the reason why I don't subscribe to HI anymore... that and the fact that PP has a column.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

My boss was trying to come up with Christmas gifts for all the people in our region.. 7 of us. He gave us all magazine subscriptions for Christmas. He thought he was being nice by giving me Horse Illustrated. It's the first time in at least 15 or 20 years that I've had them in the house. I will not be renewing this "gift". Nice of the boss to try to get me something horse related.

Yes, I just recently subscribed to HI because it was on sale for $5 for the YEAR through Amazon.

I thought, what the heck?...Now I wish I had my $5 back to buy some gum.

Sorry, but I do think they are beautiful, and I like the fact that they're short so easier for me to get on. But realistically the thought of maintaining all that hair, and those feathers, with all this rain, and red clay dirt, and subsequent MUD, no thank you! Not to mention their prices are STUPID! Now, if they dropped down to about 1500.00, hmmmmm.....
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

How much do they go for, as a matter of curiosity of course.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat95 View Post
    How much do they go for, as a matter of curiosity of course.
    A crap load of money - For Example ...: http://www.djwwgypsyhorses.com/GypsyMaresOpen.html

They're cute hairy cobs (horse mutts). That's it.

Would I like one? Sure! But not for that price and I'd have to clip alllll that feather.

I'll stick to my "American Cob" : http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25769...15305252cakkSQ
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Ehrm... no way am I gonna pay that much for a horse that doesn't do much. I'd rather spend money on a good show horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    A crap load of money - For Example ...: http://www.djwwgypsyhorses.com/GypsyMaresOpen.html

They're cute hairy cobs (horse mutts). That's it.

Would I like one? Sure! But not for that price and I'd have to clip alllll that feather.

I'll stick to my "American Cob": http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25769...15305252cakkSQ
    The purchase of a mare comes with a free breeding???

We'll be surrounded by Gypsy Vanners!

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Sorry, but I do think they are beautiful, and I like the fact that they're short so easier for me to get on. But realistically the thought of maintaining all that hair, and those feathers, with all this rain, and red clay dirt, and subsequent MUD, no thank you! Not to mention their prices are STUPID! Now, if they dropped down to about 1500.00, hmmmmm.....
    Clippers are your friends! Hubby wants one. I told him that I'm going to deal with all the hair, and would remove it as soon as said pony was unloaded...
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Whilst I think all the hype over them in this country is ridiculous, there are some really nice GV types out there. They tend to have pleasant temperaments and some of them move quite well.

No, you aren't probably going to do upper level dressage on them or go round a hunter course, but, if you want an all-round, straightforward horse, to do a bit of hacking, some low level fund stuff and feel safe and learn on, an Irish Cob isn't such a bad choice.

That and a set of clippers...

GVs: Cute? yes.

My kind of horse: No.

Useful for anything beyond being a basic "go down the road" horse: No. ANYTHING can fling itself over 2'6;" Anything can fumble through Training and even 1st level dressage; ANYTHING can probably galumph its way around a beginner novice x-c, but if you are truly serious about competing, not the first choice.

A nice driving horse - yup, but you ain't gonna win a CDI because they are too slow. Pleasure driving - fine. Showing against other GV's - why not? Safest way out.

BUT..... Does ANY of the above justify the ridiculous prices? I visited a friend in England in 2005 (saw the last long format event at Badminton). He had a "Gypsy cob" in training. Cute little horse. A tad lighter than most of the GV stallions one sees advertised, but not by much. Nice coloring. Purchased to be just a "hack," maybe for gymkhana or hilltopping at a very basic level. I asked how much the owner had paid for it: oh, maybe 400 pounds - i.e., $800 (and my friend felt she'd overpaid for the beastie). And people over here are paying $9K for a green GV gelding (and that's the "reduced" price). Damn! Wish I'd gotten in (and gotten out quickly) on the ground floor and made a quick half-mill on a few thousand dollars worth of GVs. ROFLOLPIMP
    Last edited by Sandy M; Feb. 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM.

Oh trust me..... the Irish are laughing allllllll the way to the bank.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Eek!

Thanks for the reminder of why I don't subscribe to HI anymore!

Cute and colorful? Sure! But way, way too hairy!

I saw one at Equine Affaire a couple of years ago with "feather" that seemed to start in the thing's armpits and just get bigger and fluffier the farther down it went. Eventually they're going to mutate into something resembling those fluffy little toy breeds at Westminster that don't even look like they have legs at all. . .
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    I'd have to clip alllll that feather.
    Garden shears gets through bulk of it. Goes a long way towards the life of the clipper blades
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    Cute and colorful? Sure! But way, way too hairy!

I saw one at Equine Affaire a couple of years ago with "feather" that seemed to start in the thing's armpits and just get bigger and fluffier the farther down it went. Eventually they're going to mutate into something resembling those fluffy little toy breeds at Westminster that don't even look like they have legs at all. . .

(snork)
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    Garden shears gets through bulk of it. Goes a long way towards the life of the clipper blades

That's why I'm happy with Penny....just enough feather to be pretty, but not so much that it's annoying/requires cutting.

Folks, it's a matter of supply and demand. I think they're darling. I got to spend some time with a GV when Hollywood came to my farm to film a movie for 2 days. This GV was a doll- an absolute saint with the inexperienced actress that he was starring with. Do I want one for myself? No, but I enjoyed meeting a Gypsy Vanner and his owners. They were nice people who cared about their animal and were proud of him and his accomplishments (of which this particular GV had quite a few).

If enough people are interested in them, what business is it of ours what folks are willing to pay for them? They wouldn't work for my discipline, but there are plenty of horsemen that they would suit to a "T". It's like rare breed dogs- whatever floats your boat.

Wow - never realized there was so much hate out there for something so innocuous! =) Seriously, there are lots of people who don't need a horse to jump higher than 2'6", or go beyond training level eventing, or do PSG. Probably a lot more than there are serious competitors. So for a lot of people, 'pretty' and 'cute' count more than pedigree, status, and ability to win ribbons. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by mjmvet View Post
    Wow - never realized there was so much hate out there for something so innocuous! =) Seriously, there are lots of people who don't need a horse to jump higher than 2'6", or go beyond training level eventing, or do PSG. Probably a lot more than there are serious competitors. So for a lot of people, 'pretty' and 'cute' count more than pedigree, status, and ability to win ribbons. Who cares?
    Yeah, but when I'm out on a trail ride, I want something that's smoother gaited and can MOVE a bit more than a GV. I want something that can jump more than mini-jump just like you want more truck than you need to haul. I'm not going to be doing GPs (either jumping OR dressage), but I want something capable of doing more than a 20 meter circle, too. But again, it's not what they can or cannot do...it's the ridiculous prices. A few years ago, when the AVERAGE price here for a GV was around $20K (after European purchase which, including shipping, was probably under $10K - 100%+ profit!!!), one could purchase a VERY nice, well-bred WB 2 year old for that amount (or less).

The flip side for those who are really enamored of these little fuzzies is that it is ridiculous to be paying that kind of money for that kind of horse, and probably prices them out of the market for the people who would be happiest with them, i.e., people who do WANT just a "go down the road" horse that is cute, not too tall, quiet disposition. Heck, go breed a well-built Paint to a not-too-huge Shire, Clyde or even a nicely feathered Fell pony. Even the cost of raising and training from foal-hood would be less than the price of most GVs!

Equally irritating is the GV promoters' claims that the GV's ARE capable of the highest level of competition, and then they get all misty-eyed and tell of a GV that scored in the 60% range at TRAINING level. How nice. Good for you. So has my young Araloosa. Let me know when a GV scores in the 60% range at FEI level. Then I'll be more inclined to think someone might be justified in paying $20K for one.