The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool When life sends you a snowstorm....

Get a bunch of friends together for a trail ride!!

Here in SE PA we're bracing for another nor'easter comin' from Texas (thanks y'all). But hey, it's February in PA and having lived here all my life - I actually look forward to the snow.

Love watching the horses play in it, and it makes me take the time to do something fun - like ride with friends! Anyone else making plans??
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

When we had this winter's first big "snow event" (as the local forecasters like to call them), I decided to take my 4 year old OTTB for his first bareback trail ride. I figured the 10" of fluffy white stuff would make a nice cushion for me if he didn't like me sitting on him bareback! He was totally unconcerned, and we had a nice ride.

If we get enough snow I'm going to remember to take a camera when I go out riding - the snowy trees are so beautiful!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Well, for the first day or two we'll be too busy plowing and shoveling , but once that's done we'll probably go for a ride around the neighborhood. It's about the only time we know that people won't be driving fifty miles an hour on our gravel roads!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

When life sends you a snowstorm....

Make snowmen!!

I'm planning to complain a lot. There may be stomping, shouting and very pointed comments directed at a higher power. I don't know, I'm keeping my options open.

Uh, well, this is what I did last weekend:

http://gentlegiantsdrafthorserescue....petunia1_0.JPG

(yes, that's me on a plastic toboggan driving a horse)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    I'm planning to complain a lot. There may be stomping, shouting and very pointed comments directed at a higher power. I don't know, I'm keeping my options open.
    Don't worry, this is what happens when we're clearing the drive and doing the chores in the snow!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    When life sends you a snowstorm....

Make snowmen!!

I opt for hot chocolate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I've seen more snow this winter in VA then I did the year I lived in CT... Yeah Global Warming.

I'm going to be too pooped to enjoy the snow for all the extra work it brings.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    Uh, well, this is what I did last weekend:

http://gentlegiantsdrafthorserescue....petunia1_0.JPG

(yes, that's me on a plastic toboggan driving a horse)
    I love it! I may have to try this with DH's big belgian draft!!

Of course this is after all the work, as I have a pretty good feeling my stall mucker won't make it out, so 18 stalls later, putting out hay b/c DH will be out plowing and YES - I still love the snow!!

It's God's way of saying - be kids again - now go out and play!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.