The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Stupid things said during horse sales or not-sales

So we have this cute little Appendix QH mare for sale. She's on the small side, but very cute, okay mover, willing to try, mostly. Stays nice and round, and works at 1st/2nd level fairly competently, and can do Training level with a kid. And has done so a few times, so she is pretty rideable.

She's a great jumper, not stylish enough to be a hunter but bold and brave and willing. So I think, an event prospect.

So we advertise her. The gal who works for me owns her so she gets all the calls.

A person wants to come and see her as a 'low level dressage prospect', should suit her fine says I. She does Tr and 1st already, getting respectable scores and has a flying change and can half pass so she's probably going to do okay at 2nd and maybe one day 3rd.

Buyer wants to take her on a 30 day trial. I advise against it, too risky in terms of injury potential, to which the owner concurs, No, sorry, you can come and ride her as many times as you want but she cannot leave the premises until sold.

So the prospective buyer calls back and says " What I really wanted was a horse with the potential to do GP so I think I will pass on her".

Now her advertised price is less than 5k, who in the world thinks that a 6 yr old QH advertised for less than $5k is going to be a potential GP horse?

Go figure.

MW
    Last edited by Melyni; Feb. 3, 2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: I forgot that QHs age at the turn of the year!
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

5 members found this post helpful.

We had someone come out from 3 hours away be absolutely appalled when she found out that a horse we had working at 4th level didn't jump, even though the ad said exactly "He has not jumped", and we never once talked about anything but dressage. How dare we not say anything? Darling, how dare you make it past the 3rd grade without being able to read.

We had a similar situation, where a person came to look at a horse advertised as a low level jumper/dressage horse. No one would ever say he was pretty, but he got over and didn't mind what you did as long as you pointed him in the right general direction. This is supposedly exactly what the buyer wanted. Well, the girl came out, jumped him around a little course, and said "Yeah, I don't think he'd be able to do the High Juniors". No crap.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Yeah it's amazing

what people read into what you say about a horse. Or do they think that all sellers are really stupid and don't know what they are selling?

MW
    Last edited by Melyni; Feb. 3, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have numerous stories about this stuff but one stands out in particular -

we bought a pony sight unseen when my working student was young and in a kinda bratty stage of life the pony was a twit, albeit quite talented, and gave the kid a run for her money. She didn't appreciate it. So mom decides we should sell her. I inform them the pony is worth nearly nothing in her current state but they persist. So a friend asks if I would bring her over for one of her clients to try. Ok, what do I have to lose?

We get there and it turns out her client thinks we are horse traders or dealers of some sort. I have NEVER, ever in all my life.. been treated like that. She kept asking us "tricky" questions.. about her age on her coggins.. about her past.. about a teeny snag in her foot (white line disease maybe being hidden?!!) I finally put the pony on the trailer and left and told my working student that I would be DAMNED but we would not sell that pony to that woman for ANY amount of money.

Pony is now in a double, doing 3rd, can do most of 4th and kid doesn't want to sell her for any amount of money. Isn't life strange?!!! Still no sale no matter what!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

7 members found this post helpful.

Coppers mom Quote: Darling, how dare you make it past the 3rd grade without being able to read.

The CIA Fact Book says the US literacy rate is 99%. I don't believe them.

Default No Way!

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Coppers mom Quote: Darling, how dare you make it past the 3rd grade without being able to read.

I don't believe them either. More like 50 or 60%, but no way 99%.
    MW

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't believe that for a minute either!

I hate when someone acts like you're some kind of dirty salesman. We've had a few people come through with a chip on their shoulder, and it doesn't bother us a bit, they just won't get a call back when they try to set up a second appointment. We have nice horses, we don't need to deal with that kind of nonsense.

I did have one woman come out and repeatedly insult me personally. Just snotty comments and faces about my tack, the horse, acting shocked when she found out I taught little kids, showing up randomly and being surprised that I wasn't there to cater to her, etc. She kept going around behind my back, asking the trainer if he could trailer the horse off the property even after I had said no, calling the trainer instead of me in regards to trying out the horse, etc. The trainer had nothing to do with the sale, she just basically didn't accept that I had anything to do with selling MY horse. After being fairly nasty about the horse, she tried to set up a vetting, and I said no. She called, cried, offered to trade her horse for mine, and even said "You can have my really expensive bit and bridle", which really peeved me off after her comments about my tack. 2 years later, she still has no horse, and multiple clinicians have said the horse is advanced (eventing) material right in front of her. She still cries every time.

6 members found this post helpful.

I had a lady come out to see a 4 year old I had - she'd already been lightly shown, lots of potential, easy to ride, sweet, sound etc. Great head on her shoulders, no issues.

The lady loved her, but "wasn't really looking for a young horse".

...?

She didn't age 3 years overnight! She ended up passing on her even though, she was "perfect in every way". Go figure!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

A couple of years ago I had a call from a trainer on one of my very talented 2-year olds. She told me that she had a client looking for an FEI prospect and I countered by saying that my youngster wasn't under saddle yet so I wouldn't bet on his FEI future yet but that other than that I thought he was quite talented.

Well, her client came out and fell in love with the horse. She told me that she definitely wanted her trainer to come look at him. This was on a Tuesday or Wednesday and I told her that I had somebody else coming out to look at the horse the following weekend.

Well, two weeks went by and I get a call from the trainer telling me that she wants to see the horse the next day. I tell her that I sold the horse and she throws a hissy fit!! Didn't I know that her client was very interested in the horse? Why didn't I ask for a deposit?

I knew that her client had told her that I had talked about somebody else coming out, and I also knew that the trainer thought I was just trying to put some fire under her client. So she was going to punish me by making me wait extra long...

Well trainer, if you had made the time to come out when you originally said you were, all this could have been avoided. And no, not all breeders are anxiously awaiting to get on your schedule! Sorry!

P.S.: The horse qualified for the 5-year old FEI Young Horse Competitions and finished in the top ten!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

16 members found this post helpful.

A couple of years ago I had a call from a trainer on one of my very talented 2-year olds. She told me that she had a client looking for an FEI prospect and I countered by saying that my youngster wasn't under saddle yet so I wouldn't bet on his FEI future yet but that other than that I thought he was quite talented.

Well, her client came out and fell in love with the horse. She told me that she definitely wanted her trainer to come look at him. This was on a Tuesday or Wednesday and I told her that I had somebody else coming out to look at the horse the following weekend.

Well, two weeks went by and I get a call from the trainer telling me that she wants to see the horse the next day. I tell her that I sold the horse and she throws a hissy fit!! Didn't I know that her client was very interested in the horse? Why didn't I ask for a deposit?

I knew that her client had told her that I had talked about somebody else coming out, and I also knew that the trainer thought I was just trying to put some fire under her client. So she was going to punish me by making me wait extra long...

Well trainer, if you had made the time to come out when you originally said you were, all this could have been avoided. And no, not all breeders are anxiously awaiting to get on your schedule! Sorry!

P.S.: The horse qualified for the 5-year old FEI Young Horse Competitions and finished in the top ten!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com

16 members found this post helpful.

Years ago I had a pretty 16 hand palomino TB filly for sale. (This was way before internet!) I advertized her as started under saddle only. I advertized her as a sport horse prospect. Sweet natured but because she was young she would need a rider with the experience to bring along a green baby. On a Sunday afternoon I had 3 calls on her. Two of the callers sounded promising.The third caller wanted a 4-H barrel horse for their first year, 9 year old son. I politely told her that my filly was in NO way suitable for her son.
    A friend came to visit me Monday A.M. She and I got my filly out and did some light ground work with her and then I rode her at a walk over a ground pole on each long side of the arena. Very nice baby work. Friend and I were pleased and returned the filly to her stall. Before we could get out another horse the phone rings. Lady (on phone) says "I called about your horse for sale yesterday and my husband and I would like to come today and see her". I said sure and gave her directions to the farm. My MISTAKE was not asking which person she was---I just assumed that she was one of the 2 that sounded promising.
    About an hour later a small van pulls into my driveway and drives all the way around to the back barn doors. Driveway does not extend this far. But when they get out of van I see that driving around to the doors was to accommodate husband who is on crutches.
    My first comment was "I hope a horse didn't step on you!" as a friendly greeting. He says "No, I scratched a bug bite and it got all infected and the hospital had to peal the skin from my foot to drain the infection". Now this is in late April in Ohio. Not exactly bug bitting weather. Husband also has (I'm going to be kind here!) abit of a paunch and his Tee shirt isn't long enough to meet his pants. Having been made aware of the "bug bite" I now notice a row of bug bites across the exposed paunch! Wifey now steps into the conversation to tell me that they are the people with the 9 year old begginer son! So, I again politely tell her this filly is not suitable for a biggner nor is she really suitable for 4-H as she is a TB and all the other kids will have stock horses. I am also now noticing that wifey has a clean face but major ring- around-the-collar. Her hands have been washed but the grime on her wrists....I notice my friend is putting several steps distance from them so she doesn't catch whatever bugs these people have brought with them!
    Wifey says "Can't we just see the filly since we are here?" I'm feeling a bit bad for haveing let them waste their gas and time so I agree to go and get the filly. OH, she's beautifullllll!! Can I ride her??? I said sure as my friend looks at me like I'm nuts!! I hand filly to my friend and go into the tack room to get my tiny little hunt saddle. I plop it on the filly's back and start to do the cinch when wifey says to me "I only know how to ride in a western saddle!" And I said (with a straight face) "Oh, but my filly only knows how to ride in an english saddle!" So wifey decides that my filly won't be suitable for her son as he only rides in a western saddle too. Of course, by this time my friend can barely keep a straight face so goes off to play with my dogs while I am waveing these poor missguided people out of my driveway.

this didn't happen to me, but I was at the barn when it happened.
    I ride at a dressage barn, the horse for sale has done FEI 5yr old went to Devon, showed successfully at 3rd. Someone calls looking for a horse that can jump and do dressage. Ok. He is a Popeye K baby, has a super nice jump although very green, and obviously does dressage. Person drives 5hrs with her coach to come look, they walk into the barn, coach is on Canada's eventing team. they are looking for an advanced level prospect. uh.

Here's one story that is kindof related. Customer comes to try horse with trainer. My husband comes out to "help". While I am with the customer who is riding the horse, trainer asks my husband if the horse is good in the stall. He answers, "He's fine, but he is a pig in his stall", which to him means that the horse poops everywhere and walks through it, making his stall a mess to clean (husband's weekend job is stall cleaner). Trainer advises client not to buy the horse because of bad stall habits. Husband learns to answer all questions with, "I don't know, ask my wife." This was 25 years ago and we still joke about it.
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

6 members found this post helpful.

Wink this was in KY even!

horse is 4yo OTTB; tattooed with papers; "lookers say his teeth ae awfully long for a 4yo; I say look at his tatoo then, they ask "why, what does it say?"
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, the literacy rate (i.e. people's ability to read words that are on a page) may well be 99 percent; but our national reading comprehension rate (i.e. people's ability to understand the words they can read) is more likely in the 40 percent range.

Add to that, most people aren't taught rhetoric or argumentation in high school which also helps us learn how to comprehend and process information (i.e., Point: this horse has never jumped; Counterpoint: this horse must not be trained to jump, etc.), and now you have a nation full of many blathering idiots who can read what they see but who can comprehend almost none of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    He says "No, I scratched a bug bite and it got all infected and the hospital had to peal the skin from my foot to drain the infection". Now this is in late April in Ohio. Not exactly bug bitting weather. Husband also has (I'm going to be kind here!) abit of a paunch and his Tee shirt isn't long enough to meet his pants. Having been made aware of the "bug bite" I now notice a row of bug bites across the exposed paunch!

I am also now noticing that wifey has a clean face but major ring- around-the-collar. Her hands have been washed but the grime on her wrists....I notice my friend is putting several steps distance from them so she doesn't catch whatever bugs these people have brought with them!
    OK, so I often will read interesting COTH threads while I eat breakfast. I read this and nearly puked just now. Thanks...thanks a lot!

Mo Swanson - I had to laugh when I read your post..... My husband used to be just as helpful and volunteer all kinds of little tidbits of information on the horses for sale that he thought might be of interest to the clients. And yes, "stall manners" would always be mentioned because he'd occasionally help me with mucking...
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com

Cool

I love it when they come out to see an advertised 3 year old and then say they are going to pass on the horse because they want something older. If you don't want a 3 year old, don't go look at one. They are certainly not going to age while you are test riding them. Go figure!
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

"I'll buy him anyway!" (And that would have been me who said that.)
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I initially posted this on a sporthorse breeding thread about false advertising - I think its a great story....

YEARS ago, a super nice family (think home made xmass cookies, daily sit down dinners, church on sunday) asked me if I would ride their sale horse. The horse was a very useful QH that a friend from TX had donated to a school in the north east and the school had subsequently sold the horse to the family (they totaly knew it was a QH from TX)

I did a bit of riding for prospective buyers at the time for ZERO money as it was fun to show off and jump a bunch of jumps.

So as we are waiting for the trainer to come to the barn, the daughter warned me that they told the trainer the horse was a "warmblood from Europe". I was HORRIFIED. And even more so as no one could understand why I would have ANY problem with this as "warmbloods sold for more than QH's".

Just as I was heatedly insisting that I would not ride the horse - an excited voice "its superman"!!!!. Yeah, Christopher Reeves (sans tights and wearing his underpants on the inside) on a buying trip.

I was so star-struck. i may very well have rode the horse. But the horse jogged out lame and the trainer was no dummy, they left in about 10 minutes.[/

4 members found this post helpful.

I am unfortunately a horse collector not a seller, but...

I did have my teenaged dressage horse/ex event horse for sale for awhile. More potential for dressage than I have time or talent to train for. He is not a hot OTTB but he is intense and does look out for his own welfare quite well.

People would ask: Does he spook?

How do you answer that? I'd always say, yes he spooks occasionally but he's not spooky.. Crickets after that. I still own him.

?? what are you supposed to say?? No? He's the least spooky horse I have and he still spooks. Do they make TBs who don't spook ever?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    Buyer wants to take her on a 30 day trial. I advise against it, too risky in terms of injury potential, to which the owner concurs, No, sorry, you can come and ride her as many times as you want but she cannot leave the premises until sold.
    I am just guessing here as I only sold one horse many years ago, but aren't there folks who just like to take horses on trial? They see it as a sort of low-risk short-term lease or something? I could be wrong, tho.