The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oh now Coreene how could you deny him the machine now with TWO yummy sounding apple recipes right there.

Or perhaps you will just have to make some and take it to his house the old way.

I have never heard of apple sorbet, sounds wonderful!

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Green apple sorbet is VERY yummy & quite refreshing in the summer. I always make it with Granny Smith apples that have a slightly sour kick to them; great with a scoop of lemon sorbet with it. It's one of my favorite recipes, although cinnamon ice cream is the stuff I could eat all day!

I loff my ice cream maker, I can try out bizarre ice cream recipes all the time ... apple butter ice cream is suprisingly good, as is Earl Grey tea ice cream. yum yum!

'O lente, lente currite noctis equi' - Ovid

Anyone else think Albion should post her yummy sounding recipes so we can test them out and make sure they're suitable for equine consumption?

Delyth, I'd love to, but I'm afraid the moderators might think it a little too off topic. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

If the 'higher ups' don't mind, I'd be happy to share!

this 'higher up' really wants the green apple and cinnamon recipes please! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

Wellllll. After great deliberation and much thought -- and a few hungry tummy rumbles at the thought of all this delicious sounding stuff, it has been decided that Albion should post her recipes, green apple, green tea and cinnamon all sound wonderful!

---------------------------
    This too, shall pass.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Ok, I'll start with the mildy-horse related apple recipes. I can't find my green apple ICE CREAM recipe, but I DO have a good green apple GELATO recipe. All these recipes can be modified to taste ... and extra ingredients can be added/substituted. I have a Cuisinart 1 QT ice cream machine. These will work with any ice cream machine, but depending on the size of the bowl, you might have to make more than one batch.

Apple Sorbet:

3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup clear unsweetened apple juice
    4 green apples (ones that are quite tart work best)
    Juice of 2 limes

Combine the sugar & apple juice in a small saucepan and place over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves & the syrup is clear. Remove from the heat & cool to room temperature (I usually stick it in the fridge for a bit)

Peel & core the apples. Roughly chop the fruit & place in a blencder with cool syrup and lime juice. Blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Freeze in 1 or 2 batches (depending on the size of your machine) according to the manufacturer's directions. It comes out soft, but ready to eat. I prefer slightly firmer sorbet, so I transfer the finished product to plastic containers & stick it in the freezer until it firms up.

*chardonnay can be substituted for the apple juice.

Cinnamon Ice Cream:

I've tried a bunch of different recipes for cinnamon ice cream, and this is by far my favorite. Great on pies & stuff, it's REALLY good plain. If you're health conscious, you can replace the heavy cream with whole milk, but I make no guarentees about the finished product http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

1 cup milk
    3 heaping tablespoons of cinnamon (more to taste, I usually use about 5. I like my cinnamon ice cream VERY cinnamon-y)
    3/4 cup sugar
    6 large egg yolks
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup half-and-half
    1 cup heavy cream

Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cinnamon, cover, and set aside to steep for 15 minutes.

Beat the sugar into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour and salt. Set aside.

At this point, you can strain the milk if you want to. I usually don't, just make sure the cinnamon hasn't clumped up - if it has, just mix it around until it seperates. Add the half-and-half and return to a simmer over low heat. Slowly beat the hot milk and half-and-half into the egg yolks and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. DO NOT let the mixture boil as the eggs will scramble! Remove from the heat & pour cinnamon custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream. Cover & refrigerate until cold. *I usually do an ice bath, where you fill a larger bowl with water and ice & plunk the other bowl (with the mixture) into it. Throw it in the fridge & it should cool off pretty quickly.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches according to the manufacturer's directions. I usually sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon when it starts to firm up in the machine. This ice cream is VERY thick and creamy. It is soft but ready to eat when it's done, but (once again) I usually transfer it to the freezer & let it firm up a bit.

Earl Grey ice cream:

The recipe is the same as the Cinnamon ice cream recipe, but with tea instead of cinnamon. I would recommend using 3 heaping teaspoons of loose tea or 5 or 6 tea bags. Straining is, of course, mandatory if you're using loose tea. If you decide to use a 'sweeter' type of tea (like Darjeeling), I would halve the amount of tea you steep in the milk. I tried Darjeeling using the above recipe & the stuff came out WAY too sweet.

I need to find my Apple Gelato recipe, but I will post it soon!

wats OT day ?

~*~When they pased out brains...I WAS AT A HORSE SHOW!!!~*~
    ~*~When they pased out brains...I WAS AT A HORSE SHOW!!!~*~

Riley- Ot day is off topic day, we had one last Fri. Where the mods let you post anything you want and they dont have to be horse related.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ifihadwords4u

Ok, I found the apple gelato recipe. For your enjoyment, I will ALSO post my peanut butter ice cream recipe (it's REALLY good ... sounds bizarre, but it's yummy!). My ponies always like peanut butter, maybe Willem does too http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

This makes several batches for my ice cream maker. I usually halve the recipe, unless we're having apple tarts or something like that for a LOT of people. I've also found this one to be hit-or-miss with me, but when it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's bad ... it's still ok. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Apple Gelato:

12 ripe Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
    1/4 cup sugar
    Juice of 2 lemons
    1 cup milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/2 cup sugar
    3/4 cup egg yolks
    1/2 cup corn syrup

Cut up apples into 1/2 inch pieces. They should measure 3 cups. Place in a saucepan with 1/4 c. sugar and lemon. Cook over medium heat until tender. Blend until smooth, strain, and chill in ice bath.

Heat cream and milk in saucepan with 1/2 c. sugar. Whisk yolks separately with some of the hot cream mixture. Add back into saucepan and cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened. Again, DO NOT let it boil! Strain through fine sieve. Add corn syrup. Chill in ice bath. Combine with apple puree & freeze according to manufactuer's directions. Again, if you desire firmer ice cream, stick it in the freezer before serving.

Apple Butter Ice Cream:

The unsweetened, unspiced stuff works best, but I have used generic spiced apple butter to fine results.

1 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups light cream
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened, unspiced apple butter
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat the sugar into the eggs and egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour. Set aside.

Bring the light cream to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Slowly beat the hot cream into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Again, DO NOT let the mixture boil, or the eggs will scramble! Remove from the heat & whisk in the apple butter and cinnamon. Pour the hot apple butter custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until cold. *Again, you can use an ice bath for the mix instead.

Stir the chilled custard & freeze in machine according to the manufactuere's instructions. If you'd like firmer ice cream, transfer to the freezer.

A fun way to serve it: Hollow out an apple and fill with apple butter ice cream. Sprinkle on some cinnamon & serve.

Finally, one of my favorites, Peanut Butter Ice Cream:

Use creamy peanut butter - reduced fat, chunky, or homemade doesn't work as well. If you like crunchy peanut butter, throw in a handful of chopped peanuts to the mix when it is semi-frozen in the machine.

3/4 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.

Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan & place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. DO NOT let the mixture boil! Remove from the heat & beat in the peanut butter. Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the peanut butter custard to cool slightly. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover & refrigerate until cold. *Again, I just use an ice bath.

Stir the chilled custard, the freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you want firmer ice cream, transfer it to the freezer.

Albion's favorite version: add 1/2 cup (at least!) of miniature chocolate chips to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen. Continue with the recipe as directed.

Several of these recipes came from my favorite ice cream cookbook, 'The Ultimate Ice Cream Book' by Bruce Weinstein. He's got a LOT of cool recipes with tons of variations. I now have my favorite ice cream 'base' from which I build off of. I highly recommend the book for anyone who wants good recipes that turn out well - from plain vanilla to corn ice cream (haven't tried that one & don't plan on it http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif although the author swears it's delicious)

If anyone would like anymore recipes, I have some killer sorbet recipes (lemon blackberry sorbet is one of my faves). You're welcome to e-mail me!

bump so no one who wanted the recipes misses them!

Thank you! I am a cinnamon ice cream addict and it is very hard to find. Now I can make my own.

OMGiH! I haff ice-cream maker on order! I haff finally decided to buy one mein selve after I haff readed these recipes. Und I can to order mein groceries online und zo they bring der gredients to mein howse. This it be wunnerful! First I make Apfel Ice-Cream.

------------------------
    I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.
    ------------------------
    I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

kb - glad to be of help. I loff cinnamon ice cream, and while most people are slightly suspicious at first, ALL my friends and family are addicts now!

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

These recipes look wunnerful! But, alas, I have a problem: I **have** an ice cream maker, but I, um, seem to have lost the directions for the use thereof. Sigh.

Oh, and Kinsella: Glad you liked that. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

***Dear Sam: All I really want for my birthday is FLYING LEAD CHANGES!!*** http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Beezer

Check the web site of the company that makes your ice cream maker - you might be able to download the manual, or at least find an address or phone number where you can order one.

So the Apple Sorbet does not require an ice cream maker???/ (Poor college student is HOPING here!)

Laura
    Laura

Ponygrl, all the recipes require an ice cream maker.

I don't know how poor a college student you are (I'm at 'starving college student' level at this point!) but some of them (like the little Cuisinart I have) can be had for quite cheap. Seriously, like $30. After the initial outlay, it's cheaper than buying the stuff at the grocery store. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif I'm pretty sure you could turn many sorbet recipies into popsicles, though. Cheap-o popsicle molds can be found at Wal-Mart and grocery stores. I've made lemon popsicles out of lemon sorbet before, soo ...

Beezer, R-A-R is right - most manufacturers' websites have downloadable user manuals these days.

ooooooooooh. yes Matt and I be po' until I can sell my friggin horse

but $30 for an ice cream maker. I bet I spend that on ice cream every month (its my passion) hehehe. Must try. I work with a girl who was a pastry chef and now she wants to help me make ice cream/sorbet recipes. she rules!

Laura
    Laura

Well, my mum came home from Williams-Sonoma last year & said, 'I got you a suprise!' I saw the Cuisinart box & said, 'YES! A food processor! WOO HOO!' It turned out to be an ice cream maker http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif (I'm a geek when it comes to kitchen appliances - all I want for Christmas is a nice KitchenAid stand mixer, with dough hook attachment. :drool: )

The only problem with the cheaper kinds is that the bowl MUST be kept frozen (and I mean VERY frozen) - it does take up a decent amount of space in the freezer. One day, I want one of the expensive ones that you just plug in, no pre-freezing required. But for now, this one does just fine.

It's really quite fun to watch the liquid turn into ice cream & it's quite satisfying to eat the fruits of your labor. Just poked around on the Williams-Sonoma website, and they're running around $49 right now - Ice Cream Maker - but ours was on sale last summer (towards the end of summer).

At this point, I'm living on chicken breasts & rice & have been way too broke to buy ice cream making ingredients. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif If you need any tips or tricks, just let me know. And I have tons more yummy recipies!