The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Operating Cost for IHSA team? (or a competitive HS team?)

I have been asked by a local university to offer them some advice on starting a college equestrian team. I'm fairly comfortable with IHSA rules/procedures and I am good with the horse/barn maintenance costs.

For those of you who run an IHSA or other college riding program (not a club, but an actual team), what are your operating costs looking like? I realize mileage may vary... Do you break them down per student athlete? How much should a school expect to spend per year and on what?

2/3 of our teams money come from the school. Every student pays a "student government fee" with their tution and it is put into an account for student associations to use (they give us 66% of what we spend). We have to turn in gas and hotel receipts to them along with how much it costs to enter the show ($25 per class. at a hunt seat show our team of 7 i think spends $500 on class fees at a 2 day show).
    We are required to take one lesson a week for 13 weeks at $17 a lesson (our trainer is super cheap) and she charges us a $5 a day coaching fee at shows ($10 for 2 days)

We have a western team as well and we have 4 shows combined a semester(8 days) Our small team can easily spend 2-3K a semester on shows alone.
    To show one seat its $30 a semester and to show two seats it's $40 (member fee)

The only thing each individual is responsible for is paying for Food, lessons, coaching, and member fee.
    Everything is paid for by the team and out SGA.
    For a small team like ours I would suggest raising about 5-6K a semester if the school isnt helping out.

We just had a meeting today and our team has $2100 in the account and we are holding fundraisers to get more.

Fundraising is important. Especially if the school doesnt give you money. We put on a open schooling show in the spring to raise money along with car washes and working concession for the school among other things.
    Let me know if I can help!!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Thanks RR: I guess I'm trying to figure out (from the School's perspective) how much an IHSA team would cost. While the student costs are fairly inexpensive, how much are most IHSA teams putting out per year? I'm talking horse care, trainer(s) salaries, insurance, showing, etc. The whole shebang. Any guesses? Even a rough guess will do

Most teams ride at private barns not a barn owned by the school. This is what all but i believe 3 of the schools in my region do.

If the school wants to purchase a barn, horses ect. I have no clue how much that would cost, but its completely not needed.

We ride with a local trainer who give HJ and western lessons to our team and to other people. We only have to pay coaching and lesson fees because of this. The school doesnt need to worry about employing anyone, buying insurance, or anything of the sort.
    I would contact local barns and ask them if they would be willing to coach your team. More than likely (like in ours) they will give you a discounted rate on lessons because you are bringing in so many new students to their barn!

Am I answering your question?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

It really depends on what you want. We ride at a local barn so I can give you more of that information if you're interested. You can also e-mail me at SSUEquestrian@gmail.com I could give you specific details and put you in touch with our Treasurer if that's the type of team you want to start.

If you're interesting in purchasing your own barn for the school... I'm no help in that. But you'd probably have to start a thriving team before getting involved with that.

So how do you want the team to function. IHSA teams come in all shapes and sizes, so some specifics may help us give you a better idea.