The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Opinion?? Need Oldenburg stallion to breed UL Eventer!

I'd love to hear your opinions...

I'm looking for a stallion to breed to, with the goal of creating a future upper level event horse. I am breeding for personal use, so not super concerned about resale value. Also, doesn't need to be an ammy ride--I'm happy to sacrifice a great brain for amazing talent. (Stupid of me, I know!!!)

Here's the mare...

She is 16yo, so getting up there, but a proven producer. She is a 16.2h chestnut Thoroughbred mare. Raced a ton and retired super sound. Extremely good legs and amazing feet. More importantly, she is being bred because she's a sister to my first Advanced level event horse, and I'm excited to keep those bloodlines going! The mare has a great attitude and from lines known for their jump ability, but not the best trot on earth (she's a TB). I want to breed for a future Advanced level horse. You can see her photo here: http://www.teamceoeventing.com/sprite_inspection.JPG Though please keep in mind she's 15 in this photo, in foal, and has had 8 foals (at a previous farm), so everything's getting to be a little saggy... And here's her brother, competing at a CIC***: http://www.teamceoeventing.com/Randy_poplar.jpg And here's her 2009 Oldenburg filly: http://www.teamceoeventing.com/fizz_inspection3.JPG

But the catch...

I only want to use fresh cooled semen, as I don't think she's young enough or fertile enough to be a great candidate for frozen. (And my other mare is being bred by frozen, so that's enough worry for me already!) Also, and here's the kicker, she's approved Oldenburg NA so I'd like to breed to a stallion who is approved Oldenburg NA.

So now for the fun part...

Who would YOU suggest?

Try Foxdale Farms out of McMinnville, OR. Gatsby is an amazing stallion with wonderful movement, near perfect comformation, and a great temperament. They do AI only.

www.foxdalefarm.us

http://www.foxdalefarm.us/photo_gallery.htm

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. Just wanted to say WOW, your mare is SO well balanced!

Why aren't you breeding back to the same stallion (just out of curiosity)?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Were it me, though I have never bred specifically for eventers I would look for a stallion which has strong jumper lines, but who has a TB dam. In my experience breeding WB's and TB and crosses between them, I'd definately breed for a 3/4 TB for your discipline.

While he's a newer stallion, I would suggest looking at Amadeus by my Hanoverian stallion Argosy (big, scopy jumper), out of a TB mare. Or..another Oldenburg stallion that is 1/2 TB.

If you are breeding an advanced level prospect for yourself and not for resale, then I would not limit yourself to one registry! FWIW I would look for the most proven stallion you can find that has a history of producing the goods with TB mares.

Sires of CCI**** horses available fresh in North America that come quickly to mind: Riverman, Brandenburg's Windstar, Pallas Digion, Comet Shine.

Your mare is really lovely.
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

Toadie's mom...

Thanks, we love her! The 2009 foal was by Fabuleux. The filly is AMAZING... Wonderful mover, great brain, and so easy at every turn.... She is really, really special. Fabuleux was a WONDERFUL cross! And even better, she was my first time breeding to an outside stallion, and I was a little lost... Dr. Schmidt and everyone at Bridlewood Farm were amazing, so supportive, and the best folks to deal with you could possibly imagine!

We adore our filly. The only problem is I have a little addiction... I LOVE to try a different stallion every year---It is more fun than Christmas!! I'm a professional rider but a VERY amateur breeder, so our couple of mares that we breed are really hobbies... I just think it's so incredibly fun to pick out a stallion each year! And it's so fun to hear all of your wonderful suggestions!

The COTHers picked out who I bred her to in 2008 and my other mare in 2009, so I can't wait to hear who you suggest this year!

Waterwitch...

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have four broodmares, and try a different stallion for each basically. I have foals by Riverman, Windfall (his foal is horse of a lifetime!!), and Fabuleux. We have a 2010 cooking in the oven by Catherston Dazzler.

I'd just like to consider other options... Esp interested in Oldenburg stallions, since I will admit it was incredibly fun taking the young lady to an inspection. Not something we get to do in eventing very often!

Quote Originally Posted by hhfarm View Post
    Esp interested in Oldenburg stallions, since I will admit it was incredibly fun taking the young lady to an inspection. Not something we get to do in eventing very often!
    Gotcha. Good luck
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

16 is not too old for frozen. IME, success with frozen depends on having a good reproductive vet more than anything else.

If you want to get an Advanced eventer out of a TB mare, you really need to be looking at stallions who have a track record of producing Advanced eventers out of TB mares.

Riverman has produced Advanced eventers and I believe some were out of TB mares. He is approved Oldenburg. However, he comes with a lot of warning labels where temperament is concerned. But if you know what to expect from your mare, this might not be an issue for you.

A Fine Romance has Oldenburg approval and has produced at least one Advanced eventer.

Windfall but I don't know if he has Oldenburg approval.

The Dutch stallion Navarone, who is Oldenburg-approved, has sired a CCI*** eventer in Europe and looks like he produces good eventing types. His owner posts here as Majestic Gaits.

if you're willing to consider frozen, you have a wider range of choices. Catherston Dazzler has produced numerous Advanced eventers from TB mares, as has Fleetwater Opposition. Jaguar Mail is supposed to produce top-quality sport horses, although his oldest haven't reached Advanced age yet.

I would take a look at Coromino. I know he approved GOV, not sure about Old/NA. I bred two Thoroughbred mares to him, a mother and a daughter. The first one I started and sold to a lady in Virginia as a dressage prospect. He has 3 excellent gaits, huge scopey canter that he carried with rhythm and ease even as very green, good mind and showed scope free-jumping as well. Coromino has great jumping lineage (he's a Holsteiner by blood) but is much more refined than many of the wb stallions and his big canter would make an eventer salivate. His trot was very good as well. Fun horse to ride and handle, great manners, which I know isn't as important to you as ability. But he was good minded, which would help in any discipline. What is your mare's pedigree? Or why not use a full TB like AFR or Salute The Truth or the one in Texas (I never can remember his name, but he's lovely) or the Seattle Slew son in Michigan or in that area? Nice mare! Good luck!
    PennyG

[QUOTE=Jane Honda;4651990]Try Foxdale Farms out of McMinnville, OR. Gatsby is an amazing stallion with wonderful movement, near perfect comformation, and a great temperament. They do AI only.
    www.foxdalefarm.us

I second looking at gatsby. We are breeding our Irish Draught Sport Horse to him.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Your mare is gorgeous!

Wow, Gatsby! As a fantasy breeding with my mare:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/nashua+miss+dancer

(not to sidetrack, it's just I hadn't seen Gatsby before)

There are two Connemara Stallions approved ISR/OLD NA Sport Pony---Ardceltic Art and Wildwych Eclipse. Both stallions are proven performers--both are very young. Eclipse's 2 year old gelding son was national high scoring FEH in the two year old division in 2009 and R. Grand Champion West Coast Final--there is a photo of him in the current USEA eventing magazine. Big fan of the Irish Ponies for eventing---and just plain fun!

Check out "Banderas" at Dreamscape Farm in Canada. He is a fabulous jumper and a very good mover. Combined with your TB mare it could be very interesting ! He also has a VERY good pedigree.......
    I have a foal due by him out of one of my Oldenburg mares.

www.huntingtonfarm.com

If you are looking to add dressage movement to the breeding I would suggest Donavan - he has both jumper and dressage lines - he is getting up there and I think fresh is limited - but seriously great movement he passes on and he is oldenburg.

Seriously look at Roc USA. He's Old NA and I have seen some really nice crosses with TB mare by him. I think he has a few future eventers out and about.

http://http://www.rocusa.net/
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

I'm going to ditto A Fine Romance. I know the baby would be a full TB, but google him and look at his offspring. LOTS of them are going the eventing route, and have a very good jump. I saw him in person, and wow. About as perfect as you can get for conformation too. I believe you can still get full Old NA papers on the baby if you do AI instead of LC since they are both Old NA approved (but don't quote me on that, you'll have to check they all you to register a full TB with them, but you'd at least be able to get some form of COP, but I think Ursula may have done this with an Innkeeper foal?)

Innkeeper is also a good TB for eventing breeding, and she's super wonderful to work with.

I think Cicera's Icewater is producing eventers also.

though his offspring aren't proven yet, I'm breeding my TB mare to redwine hoping to get an eventer. He's EVA positive though, but he's got fantastic movement and amazing jump. I'm just adding a bit of speed and lightness with my mare, and I think that's going to be an amazing cross.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

I have owned an Icewater and I have seen quite a few of them. He will not breed you a beauty queen, but it will be athletic. He is out of the Full sister to Cavalier Royale, the #1 Sire for Eventers. The owners of Cavalier Royale have purchased Icewaters Half sister. He is approved GOV and AHHA. he is fresh and available. His last event was a 1* which he won under the O'Connors. I would certainly consider him.

Tim
    Last edited by RyTimMick; Jan. 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I changed ISR to GOV - correction
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

If you're wiling to try frozen, look at Mighty Magic.

BTW, I love my Coromino gelding. He is very much like TKR describes hers.

Meadowview Guest

Default What About Lampion

Try a new guy, Lampion, imported from Germany (Landor S/Pilot/Ramiro) He is a fantastic mover, really nice jumper, great temperment. First foals are 2 this year. Ships well.

Meadowview@look.ca