The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Timing of dewormer for broodmare

I just dewormed all my horses - the 2 I am riding got a PowerPac, the injured mare got IverCare (only single tube with a big enough dose for her 1,370 pound self) and the broodmare got Equimax.

Because one of the riding horses had a fecal that showed worm eggs (she is NOT out with the broodmare), I plan on doing everyone with ivermectin again on March 1.

What I WANT to do is ivermectin again on April 1 to make sure everything is under control. The broodmare is due around April 15. Is it okay to give her ivermectin 2 weeks prior to foaling?

Prior to this, everyone was on a 6-8 week schedule for deworming. I double dose the broodmare with Equimax a couple times in hopes of clearing up her goopy eyes (which didn't work.)
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post

What I WANT to do is ivermectin again on April 1 to make sure everything is under control. The broodmare is due around April 15. Is it okay to give her ivermectin 2 weeks prior to foaling?
    It would be okay, but since you are supposed to give a dose of ivermectin right after foaling, there might not be any advantage to doing 2 doses so close together.

This topic attracted me because I am in a quandry with wanting to administer praziquantel for tapes (the extra ingredient that makes the ivermectin products "max" or "gold") but it is not labelled for use in pregnant or lactating mares. I know that doesn't mean it has been proven to be harmful, but I am cautious when a baby is involved. What do people do for broodmares who are essentially either pregnant or lactating or both all year around?

I wormed with Equimax and it said it was safe for pregnant mares on the literature in the box.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Schiffon, a double dose (by wt) of Strongid is the tested and approved dewormer for pg mares.

Although, yes, Equimax is tested on pg mares too.

I would not use Zimec Gold (search the Horse Care forum for why) and prefer the dd. strongid, just because I've used it for years with no issues during pg.

I personally do not use chemicals of any type first 90 and last 90. I do not subscribe to the Ivermec 24hrs post foaling either, and a recent study done by The Horse indicated the practice may lead to ivermectin resistance. I don't have scours either.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I have used the Equimax with pregnant mares and no problems, would definately not use the Zimectrin Gold.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I think the panacur power pack is safe for prego mares and will get tapes. I'm not sure if strongid does or not. Best thing would be to ask your vet. Ivermectin gold and quest make me nervous - have seen and heard of lots of bad side affects. Happy foaling

Definitely use Equimax for tapes. I have double dosed this mare 3 times with Equimax and also just gave her a single dose last week. No problems at all. It is tested safe for pregnant mares.

Hmm...Maybe I will just have a fecal done on her at the end of March and then decide whether or not to do another dose before foaling. If she is worm free, can just wait until she has the foal.

Everyone else will get ivermectin as planned.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique