The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1. #1
    Katie0104 Guest

    Default Seriously? Just a buyers vent: Update from seller! #32

    So I guess I'm just a little frustrated at this whole buying process. I found a horse that I really love. He's a total green bean but from his videos and everything I think he would be great for what I am looking for. I visited a couple of times while I was down his way on vacation and he was a real sweetie. Anyway, I call the owner to talk about him, etc. Then I say that he is at the very top of my price range and if she would be willing to take $24K instead of $25k because I would have to pay to haul him all the way to where I am and I would have to buy him blankets, etc. I fully realize that I am going to pay a couple thousand in vetting, first month's board, hauling and "stuff" once I get this horse so I was just asking for a little leeway. She flat out said no and that his price is firm. I know how much it costs to sit on a horse AND she is paying for it to be in full training which alone has to be $1k. I guess for this horse I would be willing to pay the extra money but now I am just really put off and walking away. Maybe I am being ridiculous or hormonal or crazy but there are a lot of babies out there with wonderful breeders who I would rather work with. Am I the crazy one?
    Last edited by Katie0104; Jan. 29, 2010 at 04:04 PM.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 7, 2009
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie0104 View Post
    So I guess I'm just a little frustrated at this whole buying process. I found a horse that I really love. He's a total green bean but from his videos and everything I think he would be great for what I am looking for. I visited a couple of times while I was down his way on vacation and he was a real sweetie. Anyway, I call the owner to talk about him, etc. Then I say that he is at the very top of my price range and if she would be willing to take $24K instead of $25k because I would have to pay to haul him all the way to where I am and I would have to buy him blankets, etc. I fully realize that I am going to pay a couple thousand in vetting, first month's board, hauling and "stuff" once I get this horse so I was just asking for a little leeway. She flat out said no and that his price is firm. I know how much it costs to sit on a horse AND she is paying for it to be in full training which alone has to be $1k. I guess for this horse I would be willing to pay the extra money but now I am just really put off and walking away. Maybe I am being ridiculous or hormonal or crazy but there are a lot of babies out there with wonderful breeders who I would rather work with. Am I the crazy one?
    UMMMM yes and no. A seller had the right to set a firm price and stick to it, they OWN the horse. I do find it a bit funny that in this ecomomy 1k is a sticking point, that does not make a lot of sense to me, but then again I am not selling anything at the moment.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2008
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Yeah, I would be annoyed too. If I was the seller, it would have been an easy yes for me. Maybe she doesn't really want to sell the horse.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 2, 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    6,228

    Default

    You were within your rights to offer lower, and she was within her rights to decline. Nothing about the response sounds offensive to me. Perhaps she thinks if you offered that close, you'll come up to asking price, or perhaps she has her reasons for $25k being rock-bottom and being willing to hold out (who knows, another month in full training and the price may go up in her mind). If you really love the horse, the additional $1k and any annoyance from the breeder will quickly fade into the sunset, so it seems to me that walking away would be a knee-jerk reaction on your part when what you really need to ask yourself is whether this horse is worth the asking price (and if you thought it was worth $24k, hard to see why it isn't worth $25k), and if so, whether that's in your budget. If you go find another baby to look at, you will still have vetting, board, hauling, blankets, etc . . . Unless you are going to outright limit yourself to local horses, I would never let the shipping cost keep me from getting the horse that would otherwise be perfect - if that's what was going to put me over the top either my budget is too tight or there is something else that is giving me pause over the purchase! So, if you love the horse and feel it is worth the asking price, I would put aside whatever has rubbed you the wrong way with the breeder and go for it. Horse shopping is too hard to pass up a good one over small things!!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2010
    Location
    Galax, VA
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvs2ridewbs View Post
    Yeah, I would be annoyed too. If I was the seller, it would have been an easy yes for me. Maybe she doesn't really want to sell the horse.
    AGREE.

    I cant see where 1k could POSSIBLY be that big of a deal.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2008
    Posts
    762

    Default

    You have got to do what you feel is right for you. Once you buy a horse, you do not have to deal with the seller again. If he is THE ONE, maybe it is worth it. If you have seen others you like as well, then why bother with this one.

    Well, the seller may feel that he is under priced at 25 and is willing to take not a penny less. Perhaps the seller plans on raising his price if this deal does not go through and is already thinking the horse is worth the new price.

    Who knows. Either you decide this horse is worth it to you, or just walk away.

    I have had people offer 10k less then asking price and as a seller I take no offense, I countered with what I thought I could live with. It was a reasonable, friendly negotiation - something I expect when selling (anything). I have also had people bid up a horse - cause they both wanted it. You never know how it goes or what is going on in the background. By the way, years later, I am still keeping in touch in a friendly way with both of the parties that were bidding on the horse, so everyone walked away satisfied.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 2, 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    6,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razzletazzle View Post
    AGREE.

    I cant see where 1k could POSSIBLY be that big of a deal.
    The problem with that is that it doesn't have to make sense in the mind of the buyer, it only matters what is in the mind of the seller and then the buyer has to decide what to do from there. The seller's logic may be flawed, the reasons may be stupid, but at the end of the day, the buyer still has to decide if it is worth walking away over it and continuing the search, and the answer to that question will vary depending on the individual buyer and the horse.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 31, 2006
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Several reasons.

    Perhaps she feels the horse is well worth that and more and is only willing to sell at that price based on a quick and painless sale. Seller may feel that the price she gets in the spring will be more.

    Seller might have other buyers.

    Seller didn't want to sell to you for some reason. This does not have to be a personal issue. Sometimes, depending on the rider's plans they want a horse to go to a trainer who will put the horse into full training and show the horse a lot as free advertising. That is worth a lot to a breeder. If she thought that a really great horse was going to go to a less that savvy rider who didn't have the money to go to top shows that it isn't worth taking less.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2010
    Posts
    171

    Default

    If the seller wasnt willing to negotiate I would walk away. Sounds like she dosent want to sell to you, given the extra 1k expense, if hes not purchased.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2002
    Location
    recent FL transplant from IL
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    If I was the seller & you gave me the "I have to pay to ship him & pay for a vetting, etc...." spiel as a reason why you are offering a lower price, I might be open for negotiating (although I may also think you knew the price of the horse & how far it was before this started). But if then you start saying how you need to buy a blanket & "stuff" for the horse, you would lose me cause why should I take a hit on the sale price cause you don't have any of those items? Maybe the seller felt that same way?
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2002
    Location
    recent FL transplant from IL
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyandLacy View Post
    If the seller wasnt willing to negotiate I would walk away. Sounds like she dosent want to sell to you, given the extra 1k expense, if hes not purchased.
    Really? Was the sale price listed as neogtiable? While it never hurts to ask, you have to acknowledge the seller doesn't have to accept a lower offer.

    Perhaps seller has more potential buyers coming to look that are willing to pay the asking price? Or maybe seller thinks horse is worth more & is going to raise the sale price if this deal doesn't happen? Who knows.

    The buyer here may not know all the details.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2009
    Posts
    2,842

    Default

    I don't see how 1K is such a big deal... for the seller OR the buyer. Yes it seems silly to turn down the offer, but it also seems silly to walk away JUST because of that. If there are other reasons, sure walk away, but how is it wrong of the buyer to decide based on that 1K and yet its okay for YOU to decide based on 1K



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 8, 2001
    Location
    up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    If the text of the ad/your conversation with seller indicated that the price was firm, or that "negotiable" or "OBO" wasn't stated/implied, then I could sort of see why the seller did not come off the price. Perhaps she has already dropped the price a few times or doesn't really want to sell the horse. Or maybe she doesn't want to sell the horse to you and this is her way of telling you that.

    I can't imagine that $1k would make a really big difference to buyer or seller at that price point, honestly.

    As far as the vetting/transport/new stuff costs go, that's not the seller's problem and should not be brought into the discussion unless the seller is doing something that would make those costs unreasonable. Those expenses are more or less to be expected when purchasing a new horse, and the seller is under no obligation to drop the price by $2k because you feel the need to vet the horse extensively, for example.

    I hope things work out for you.
    Full-time bargain hunter.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2009
    Posts
    437

    Default

    In this market??????? My advice would be.... ON TO THE NEXT!!!!!

    Next time you shop.... build in PPE, Transport into your end price. I don't look at anything I can't already afford w/out other costs.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Think about it this way...since you were there, how much time has passed? I mean if you were there and offered $24 before she sunk more money in the horse and you agreed to cover future costs, maybe she would be flexible. To that end, once you agree on a price then it takes another 2-3 weeks for vettings, transport, payment etc, she has spent additional money maintaining the horse. Keep in mind, you still have to vet the horse and if the vetting has something unusual then you will want a further reduction in price. I would wait until after the vetting because if something turns up the seller might consider negotiating.

    This did happen to me once where I took a lesser price and then it took the people a week to get the vet they wanted; then a few days holding off the vetting; then the vetting which took 4 hours with me standing there and them at home not worrying about anything; then the week for the blood to come back; and then a week for the transporter. Prepare horse for transport (my leather halter and wraps and bellboots, and meds for the trip). Get up early to meet the van only for them to be late and ruin half my day. See where I am going with this?

    During that time the horse needed a body clip and re-shoing. Guess who got to pay for the weeks of dealing with this; the body clip and the shoeing, meds, halter, shipping wraps etc...yep ME!! It cost me an additional $1,000.00 for board and expenses. So I really took a hit.

    Maybe this explanation will make sense.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2007
    Location
    MD in winter, NY in summer
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I think you said it well....SERIOUSLY????? On SO many levels! Struck a chord with me, sorry-could not get past the price of the horse in the first place, and I have ALWAYS been one who just plain doesn't understand the need to spend that amount of $$-ESPECIALLY now-there are so many really nice horses needing rehoming because of owners losing jobs, homes, etc.......I have also seen great free OTTB's do very well in the hunter ring, and even do "A"'s, making it to the Nationals-plus, my friend, the owner,(just one example, but on her third one now) had the satisfaction of knowing she saved these horses and made them great. Sorry-no sympathy here.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2007
    Location
    MD in winter, NY in summer
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Oh-sorry-and I see you want to start a rescue???? Again-SERIOUSLY?? Perhaps the $25K could be better utilized.....just sayin'.......*sigh*



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,864

    Default

    I would have offered $20K and gone up from there if I was serious about wanting the horse. The seller probably thought $1K was easy for you to come up with and there was no need to negotiate.

    I always offer a bit lower than what I think the horse is worth, regardless of the asking price so we can haggle a bit. Never hurts to ask and if a seller is insulted by the offer price, then walk away. As someone else mentioned, lottsa good horses out there right now!



  19. #19
    Katie0104 Guest

    Default

    I don't know why I was so rubbed the wrong way with this. I didn't tell her oh I need to do this and that so you should give me this price, I litterally have enough money in my horse stash for all the things that have to be done and purchased as well as purchase price for said horse minus $1k. I didn't seek this horse out, I happened to be on vacation with friends who ride in the area and this breeder is a neighbor of theirs. I hadn't really done the math, etc. but when I did I was $1,000 short. I told the breeder that and she wouldn't budge. I didn't go into any kind of list of things as I think that makes it sound like if God forbid something happens, I can't afford a vet or a million other things that could go wrong which isn't the case, I just happen to have money for the purchase of a horse and that's what it is. I guess if she had been nicer about it and just said, I think he's already a bargain, etc. I would have found a way to come up with the money. Honestly, every month that goes by I put another grand in the horse bank so I would have had it in a couple of weeks anyway. I guess I just didn't really like her attitude. I don't think I was offending her or the horse, it's not like I was offering a third of his price or anything or saying he wasn't worth every penny. Obviously she has the right to do whatever she wants but I just feel like she was a bit rude and she lost the sale. Maybe I am being too picky in wanting to deal with a nice person even if that isn't something that really matters in the long run. I love the breeder of my first horse and would buy again from her sight unseen if she had something. That means a lot to me. Vent over.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    I have been watching the sales in Florida and you can't touch a horse for less than $25,000 and certainly upwards of six figures. If you want to be competitive then the TB's are "so yesterday". (Flame suit on). I personally love TB's BUT NO ONE IS BUYING THEM. You can't give away a TB these days. Check out the WEF circuit with 4 in the TB hunters and 2 in the 3'3" TB's. That is a sad state of affairs. If your not on a warmblood with a brand then you don't even get a look. It is not right, but it's a fact. Rescue's are begging for money and they too are always in the red. Honorable people trying to do a wonderful thing but loosing their shirts horribly. Why should racehorse people ruin TB's and then leave it to the rest of us to fend for them the rest of their lives (I know I have a few). There is alot to be said with buying a young one that you train your way instead of having to fix or rehab problems in horses that have their way of going.

    Your in the right price range for a quality baby, now do the vetting and find some budge room.



Similar Threads

  1. Seller dilemma- Update last page
    By talkofthetown in forum Off Course
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: Oct. 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
  2. Ebay seller vent- updated Ebay fixed it for me
    By SonnysMom in forum Off Course
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Dec. 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb. 9, 2011, 08:02 AM
  4. Buyers vent
    By electric stride in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jul. 12, 2010, 04:15 PM
  5. Replies: 129
    Last Post: Apr. 10, 2009, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •