The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Doing some thinking... would this be possible?

So, the town I live and work in is hosting the G8 summit this year. My work is right by the facility that is hosting it and I will have 2 weeks of paid holiday because we aren't allowed in... and wouldn't want to since even with security passes it would take about 2.5h to get through onto the main rd!! Yikes.

Anyway, I was considering the possibility of packing up my pony and heading for those few weeks to a training facility where I can have a few weeks of bootcamp. Here's the catch. I am broke. I can't afford just to pay 2 weeks of training and board for my horse and I. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a place withing 15h of toronto (hopefully less) that would let me work for 2 weeks in exchange for board and lessons. I know, sounds crazy right? But I have no facilities where I am and I'd love to get away and play for those few weeks.

Is this crazy?

Nope. I don't think it is crazy. Sounds like a great plan!
    I wish you could just put everything on the CC.
    humph.

I'm no help. Except that I'm close to your age and your idea sounds swell to me!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

lol. I'm hoping to have my CC completely paid off by then and then hidden in a chunk of ice in the freezer as per Confessions of a shopaholic. lol.

I have an idea...am sending you a PM.

I would check dates of events - for example I think dreamcrest has an event at that time - perhaps you could exchange some work for lessons, etc.

It is in the summer so you may be able to get away with pasture board.

I think I'd rather go south of the boarder for some training. I don't necessarily need an event at the end either. If I'm going to do it, I want to do a few weeks of boot camp, not just a lesson here and there.

My horse would lose his mind without a stall. He's not a pasture board horse. lol

Maybe during that time you could put your house up for lease for attendees of the G8 -- big events always need housing with complete facilities. That might pay for your time away?

If only the dates worked out with our summer vacation--you could bring your horse here, house/barn sit for us and go to Erika's up the road for some lessons. But in late June I'll have two new foals on the ground and will be going nuts with baby horses!
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Maybe during that time you could put your house up for lease for attendees of the G8 -- big events always need housing with complete facilities. That might pay for your time away?
    House??? What house? Actually where I live will not be effected by the G8, but where my horse is boarded sure will be, because his barn is on the main area. Talking to my boss, because the G20 is in Toronto, we may only have a week off... hmmm, still lots of time for bootcamp though. Either way, that week I'm packing up my pony and going somewhere because there's no way I'm taking a whole week off in June from riding!