The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another trailer review: Kingston

A friend of mine is selling his Gooseneck Kingston trailer in favor of buying a Kingston bumper pull, so his daughters can trailer themselves to shows. They feel more comfortable parking, backing, etc. with a bumper.

The trailer is exactly what we want: 2 horse straight load, ramp, extended dressing room, and he's willing to give us a very nice deal.

He says he loves Kingston, this next one he buys will be his third. We live in NH and I know heard they are manufactured in New England?

Just looking for reviews on this brand. Thank you.

Have loved my Kingston - BP,2 horse, no DR - which I bought in 1998. It tows beautifully with my F250, full or partial load. While I use it infrequently, it has retained it's 'ready-to-go', solid, reliable and secure. It is easy to handle.
    I would buy another if I had to, in a flash.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Yes, Kingston is made in MA and has been making high quality trailers for over 30 years. I had a BP that was going strong at age 20 when I sold it to upgrade to a GN.

The company is great to deal with if you need a part, and there are several dealerships around if you need service.

If it makes you feel better, take it to like an RV place (Outdoor world in Concord works on mine) to have it gone over for rust/floorboards etc, but they have a great reputation and their GN is a very nice trailer - a friend has one she loves, and another friend has the basic BP and she's very happy with it. The family that bought my old one is also happy with theirs.

Their website is down right now, not sure why.

I have found them to be very well made, solid trailers. You don't see them being sold everywhere since the company only allows so many authorized sellers per area. I often had the use of a 2003 Kingston bumper pull before moving south. I remember the ramp being very easy to lift, of solid construction, and all of the closures for windows, doors, etc were user friendly. It was also very light and airy (ie welcoming) for the horse and easy to pull for the driver. They also hold their value very well if you ever needed to resell.

You can check out horse trailer world to get an idea of resell value on Kingstons and compare it to other trailer brands.

Hope that helps!

My trailer is a 1980 Kingston bumper pull. I will be its last owner - but it's also thirty years old and still safe and sound with (expected) maintenance. I'll keep it for years yet.

I board not far from where the company is located in Kingston, MA, and most of the trailers at my barn are Kingstons. We've all been very happy with them. Nothing flashy, but a good, solid, dependable trailer.

I love my Kingston! This one I bought new-it's a 2001 and I've never had a problem with it (knocking wood just in case!).

The Kingston I owned before was about 20 years old when I sold it and was still in great shape.

They are solid, well built trailers.

I've owned four Kingston trailers over the past 30 years, all of them bumper pulls ranging from 25 to 5 years old. I have been nothing but happy with all of them and resold three for close to what I paid for them. I actually moved cross country with my current one, a two horse dartmouth, and it handled great.

I love my Kingston bumper pull. It is a 1990. I bought it a few years ago and had a major over-haul done. They are wonderful trailers, and horses seem to love them.

Ironically, before I got my Kingston, a friend with a Hawk was hauling me, and my horse hated that trailer. He was often tough to load into it. He loves his Kingston!

Whoa! Great feedback guys, thanks!

We are going to look at the trailer this weekend and will probably end up getting it - just a great deal, came from people I know very well and they take care of their things, and it definitely adds to all these replies that the seller is getting yet another Kingston. Thanks so much for sharing all of your views!