The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Post links to the best farm websites

I'm thinking of doing a little website and would like links to what people think are the best websites. TIA.

The best I have seen so far is:

www.primaequestrian.com
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

I absolutely love: http://www.silverwoodfarm.com/

I found Liz's site MANY MANY years ago and admired it for so long. Then in 2008, I decided to make some changes to my web site (I had been building web sites since 1996) that involved graphics beyond what I was capable of. I had Liz redesign my site for me, and I am thrilled with it. She does a wonderful job and was super to work with (for anyone looking for a web designer - 5 stars all the way!).
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post

www.primaequestrian.com
    I really like their site and their farm!

I really like the Triad Farm site for a home grown site. I know Talley does it herself, and I find it to be simple, easy to follow, and it has tons of photos and information on the horses. It could maybe be updated more often, but that's just nit-picking.

The Prima site is lovely, but I often have problems with sites that have built in video.

Liz's site is awesome, of course! But she is a pro and if you want to do one yourself, that may be beyond what you want to get into...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    Liz's site is awesome, of course! But she is a pro and if you want to do one yourself, that may be beyond what you want to get into...
    Mine is set up so that I can maintain it and create new pages myself. I think that is a great way for a lot of people do handle their web site -- have a professional template made, then do their own updates, because we all know that a current, updated web site that is updated REGULARLY is what keeps people coming back!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com

I know that is a great option - but not if you don't have or want to plunk down the money for the pro design...

(BTW, I don't think I've said it lately, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mardi Gras!!!)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

I don't know if it qualifes as one of the best, but I am proud of mine. I did it all myself and I am not a computer guru!

www.minglewoodsporthorses.net
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

We hired a web designer to create the initial site and page layouts, and the graphics stuff (that I still can't replicate). It came out "ok", but as she was not a horse person per se, I've had many things to change over the years. Still do!

I made my hubby's site "all by myself", using Dreamweaver MX, once I had enough experience in doing updates to work up the guts to do it!

I think that unless you have a good deal of web experience, having the site at least roughed in (and having someone to tutor you a bit in doing updates) is a good way to go. Cheap is not always best - I whined a lot, but I bit the bullet to get it done.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Prima does have a great site!
    For top drawer sites, I also like Hilltop Farms' site, and Iron Spring.

There are some other really nice, tasteful and professional sites out there. But, I prefer the simple, cleaner looks over busy stuff.

http://www.fieldstone-farm.com/index.php
    http://shootingstarfarm.com/

I had a friend do mine. I think it came out pretty well for a small farm just trying to get our basic information available on the world wide web. Yes, I know the sales page still isn't done, but I'm waiting for better weather to get nice pictures on there.

www.greymeadowsfarm.com
    Greymeadows Farm
    Breeding Sport Ponies to Win!

Like us on Facebook!

Anyone wanting to create their own web site can start with a blog.

Many of the basic elements are used to build a blog.

I created a blog because I couldn't update my web site myself.

Eventually I want a site redesign that is organized by mares and show their produce.

The BEST web sites have the BEST photography.

The design is secondary. Or tertiary.

Content is key.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post

www.primaequestrian.com
    Nice site. I'm not sure what I want to do, just getting ideas.

I'm also a fan of the Iron Spring Farm website. Although, I CANNOT stand music on a website (remember, most people browsing the web do so at work!) and I know some people can have problems with viewing Flash.

I've also always loved www.wynnbrookfarm.com, but you should always try and stay away from using frames in web design. Among others reasons, they can be impossible for the search engines to properly use.

Of course, my own website tops my list. www.daventryfarms.com I always believe in having a fresh new look every couple of years, but we get so many compliments on our website and people saying not to change it that it's been the same for the last 8 years. Although I have certainly "tweaked" it over the last year to freshen it up a bit!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

I like Hilltop Farm's site

I am also proud of ours as a small breeder. I keep learning and trying to make it better.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    I'm also a fan of the Iron Spring Farm website. Although, I CANNOT stand music on a website (remember, most people browsing the web do so at work!) and I know some people can have problems with viewing Flash.

I've also always loved www.wynnbrookfarm.com, but you should always try and stay away from using frames in web design. Among others reasons, they can be impossible for the search engines to properly use.

Of course, my own website tops my list. www.daventryfarms.com I always believe in having a fresh new look every couple of years, but we get so many compliments on our website and people saying not to change it that it's been the same for the last 8 years. Although I have certainly "tweaked" it over the last year to freshen it up a bit!
    I'm getting good ideas, Minglewood your website is really good. Daventy what are frames? Is that on the front page that looks like a picture? You website is very good also.

http://www.rollingstonefarm.com

Has tons of videos and is updated frequently. Great site.

I like these:

http://www.octoberhill.com/
    http://www.laprairieaire.com/
    http://www.grandefarms.com/

If you go to each of the breed websites, they should have a breeders or links section and you could just "cruise" through those to get ideas. There was a thread not too long ago that had some website critiques which may give you a good idea of what people like and dislike.
    www.krausesporthorses.com
    KWPN Jumper Breeder
    www.WyngateEquestrian.com
    SE WI Boarding, Training & Sales

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I am also proud of ours as a small breeder. I keep learning and trying to make it better.
    That's it right there -- a huge part of being sucessful with a web site!

Gretchen designed my original website. www.sugarbrook.com
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies