The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

I didn't know KS "Babs" and don't want to be intrusive. I like many others, read her posts and enjoyed her sense of humour and enthusiasm. She must have been absolutely incredible in order to invoke such responses and tributes. She has obviously left this world a better place but at the same time, a much sadder one.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." ~Churchill~
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I am so sad to read of Kennett Square's death.... I still cannot understand why these things happen but I know that the only way to make any sense of it at all is to know that for every thing there is a reason and to pray that the time comes soon for all of those who are hurting so right now to be able to remember KS and smile. And she did make sooooooo many people smile!
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction!
    Pine Meadow Farm
    www.kingandminchinbuckingstock.com

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

This still has not sunk in. I've known Babs on and off for 20 years, and while I didn't see her often, I truly cherished the moments I had with her. Your tributes are beautiful. My eyes just won't focus through the tears.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

~<>~ COTHBB Leather Care Guru~<>~
    ~Member of the *Horse Vans Rock* clique~

I don't even know what to say but judging from what others have said she must've been a delight to be around and a wonderful person. So sad.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

CavalloFarm Guest

Celebration of Bab's Life

Cavallo Farm owners Michael and Marie Bertozzi invite all Babs' friends to come celebrate the life of Babs at their house, adjacent to Cavallo Farm.

Where: 25154 Gum Spring Rd., Chantilly, Va

When: 6:30 pm Thursday June 19

Please bring a dish to pass and your favorite story to share. The official drink for toasts will be Absolute and Cranberry, though other beverage options will be available.

If you need directions to Cavallo Farm, please contact us.

It's just too sad & she was just too young.

For my selfish part, I had heard so mamy wonderful things about her teaching, that semi-cripple that I am, I was considering going to Cavallo & asking Babs if she'd be interested in getting me "back into the flow".

After reading the posts about her demise, I have to admit that I am infinitely more interested now, as my husband is and has been a serious sleep apnea patient.

Sleep apnea is most prevalent in people who snore. What happens is that during the snore-fest, sleep-apnea folks actually stop breathing for a minute or more. This places a lot of stress on the heart. Luckily for my husband, while I was in my cast from MY friggin accident, I woke up constantly from the pain. Noticed as I was lieing there that my husband WAS NOT BREATHING -- & that I had to really shove him to start his breathing again.

He mentioned it to his doctor (with much prodding from the wife!!!!), & I was ultimately PLEASED!!!!!

This is a SERIOUS disease that can kill. And I know about it & am dealing with it FIRST HAND!!!I'm sorry if I am stepping out of bounds on the Bab's thread, but if this helps anyone else out there - who cares!!!

If you or your significant other are serious snorers, please mention it to your doctor when you go (& I hope you do!!!) for your annual checkup.

Sorry for the health soapbox, but I've "been there, done that".

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer-upper".

Hi All,
    I am so, so sorry to hear of Kennett Square's/Bab's passing. To all her students and friends, I express my deepest condolences.

I'm in shock. Although I never met her in person, I loved reading her posts and bidding against her during Aiden's auction.

It truly makes me think about life. I'm almost exactly the same age (just a few months off). I can't believe it. I just can't.

Gallop on Kennett Square! Find Victor and have some laughs in heaven. You've left the earth a bit richer with your sense of humor and your talent with horses and students.

Hallie McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC

Just wanted to add my sympathies to friends and students of KS. You are all a wonderful testimony to her teaching and her life.

I only met KS once, at a BB gathering at Frying Pan. We joked about which of us would steal Fairweather's horse Phoenix.

breezymeadow, I worked for Dr. Dement, the Stanford doctor who is widely considered the leading expert on sleep apnea. He's devoted his life to spreading exactly the message you delivered. --Jess

I was supposed to have a lesson with Babs tomorrow evening. As everyone keeps saying, it just hasn't sunk in. I had only started taking lessons w/Babs 2 months ago (thanks to some Cavallo folks who reached out to me after I posted a mssg on this board asking for barn/lesson suggestions). I had not had a lesson in about 10 years, but suddenly I was riding twice a week with Babs, and despite being nervous and sore, I loved it - all thanks to her great teaching and fun attitude. I can't express how much I looked forward to getting to know her better, and continuing to ride with her. I now wish I could give her the biggest thank you ever, for getting me back in the saddle.

I'm so so sorry for everyone who has now lost a friend. And I thank you all for the kind words and memories posted here on this thread
    which I keep reading over and over again.
    -Karen

I don't even know what to say... Babs was always filled with such a joy of life which she infused into everyone around her. Her advice was invaluable. She was never my trainer but was very generous with words of encouragement. Many of her sayings still echo in my head when I show.

From the day I met her she was always 'there'. We might not see each other for a year but when we did cross paths it would be like it was yesterday. She is the person who enticed my extremely DQ butt into the world of hunter/jumpers. For that alone I will always be in her debt...

I lift my champagne glass to such a wonderful person. I am sorry we have lost you so early in life. I just hope you don't take over heaven too fast... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

"Bad sportsmanship is simply lack of class." GM

I have refrained from posting on this thread, as I did not know Babs in person, only from the BB. And, being relatively new to the BB, I have missed out on some of the "good old times." She was, however, one of the BBers at the top of my "to meet someday" list.

I have been reading through these tributes, and I can't hold back the tears. You all have such wonderful stories to share about a dear friend. It is clear that the horse community has lost a gem - and I missed an opportunity to meet a very special person! Perhaps one day I'll have the honor of being one of her "precious pumpkins."

Those special moments come and go...a photographer makes them last a lifetime!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I've been out of town all weekend and have just learned of this horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all those who knew and loved KS! Having lost a dear mentor/trainer/friend/2nd mother in my life, I know how difficult this is for you all. It's so very hard to believe that she is gone. I only wish that I had gotten to meet her in person...but at least I got to meet her here.
    The memories you have shared touched us all.
    My thoughts and prayers for her family and friends.
    Godspeed KS~ You are deeply missed! Give Dublin and CatusKate a BIG HUG for us...
    Natalie http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

"A horse is a horse of course of course"...This person obviously never met MY horse!
    *Who Knew*
    *Frosted Flakes*
    www.kimballphotography.smugmug.com
    ~*~Mom of the wonderful Nikolas aka \"Niko\"~*~
    **Proud member of The Colorful blinb-bling helmet, SCgirls, BGSGand the EquinePhotog (do we have one yet?) cliques**

I have no idea how I didn't see this thread earlier.

I didn' know KS/Babs, except through her posts here. They were thoughtful, entertaining and funny.

I am too stunned to say more than this: This thread paints a portrait of a woman that I wish I had known in person. Her eyes show the life and humor that you all have confirmed.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to all of you who are lucky enough to have known her and called her "friend". http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

I'm also stunned by this news and send my condolences to her family and friends.

Just got online today and was stunned. I only knew Babs from here, but she was a wonderful inspiration to all who knew her.

She will be missed. Thoughts and Prayers to all who knew her. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

"When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something.
    When you're my age and you fall off, you splatter."
    My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder, He carries me away from all my fears. And when the world threatens to fall asunder, His mane is there to wipe away my tears. ~Bonnie Lewis

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Like many others, I only "knew" her here, but her posts and the reminiscences here make me wish I knew her better. Gallop on KS and find my friend Missy a fast black horse.
    The Evil Chem Prof

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peggy: Gallop on KS ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well said.
    Gallop on, KS.

Quiet day at work - have cruised everywhere and just landed on "Off Course"....what a shock! I only 'knew' KennettSquare - but appreciated her willingness to share knowledge and thoughtful views on so many topics.
    My heartfelt sympathy to family and friends.

www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Video and Still Photography in the Northeast
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I never met Kennett Square but when I first found this board I would laugh hilariously at her posts. I loved her BB handle and thought that was the coolest name ever. She caught my eye immediately and although I never posted I would sit here and die laughing. I, too, was shocked to hear of her passing.

Reading all these posts is making me cry. I remember Cactus Kate and Dee Dee but never met them personally and with Dee Dee never had a chance to post to them. Whoever had the great privilege and blessing to meet any or all of those three hopefully better know how lucky they are (I am sure you all do).

The warmth and laughter she has spread around while she was alive will live on through all who knew her on or off this BB. That is her gift to all of us. Rest in eternal peace Kennett Square and know how much you will be missed.

I work with Babs' sister and will print out these lovely tributes for her to share with their family.