The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

I,too, only knew KS/Babs through the BB. We did say "Hi" at a show once. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif It still feels like I have lost a true friend. I will wear my Tiara embroidered Baseball cap, just for her.
    It just seems so weird that there will be no more KS posts.
    I will try to ride out of my corners like my hair is on fire.

Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group
    Where the horse and I seem to have a different set of directions. I did not have that last left turn on my map!
    (Brushing dust off of self)
    It\'s a pity life ain\'t got no warranty for times like now...

I consider myself lucky to have been able to have met and have been taught ( a few years back) by such a wonderful, wonderful person.

Heaven is very lucky to have you Babs... you will be missed....

CavalloFarm Guest

Miranda Scott, a good friend of Bab's gave this speech at the Loudoun Benefit:
    `
    "A good friend of mine, Barbara Meegan, passed away Friday the thirteenth. Babs will be greatly missed by all who knew her in our horse show community. Babs was a larger than life character with a great sense of humour and a heart of gold. Every day she was with us she had a positive message for all.

She has left us way too soon.

Instead of a moment of silence, I would like to propose a day of celebration in honour of Babs' life.
    I have a ton of stories to share - like the one about the Tammy Faye Baker look alike contest - one of many fond memories I'd like to share.
    So during your busy day - take a moment to remember our vivacious Babs."

CavalloFarm Guest

The chair at the head of my table sits empty.
    That is where Babs used to sit, and it suited her. She was the center of attention, you could not ignore her, but she did not make you feel insignificant - she made you feel good with a joke, a smile and a laugh. It was what made her a great teacher.

The first time I met Babs she walked into my barn and interviewed me as to whether I would be an acceptable boss, or just "that loud guy from the Great Falls Horse Center". From that day on, she wos one of my greatest supporters and dearest friends. Babs was a part of the farm that will never be replaced.
    She was truly my partner.
    We swapped students and advice, made big decisions together and could relish in each others successes.
    I will hire another instructor, but my partner and friend is gone.
    From now on when we sit down at that table, we will always look at that chair. It sits empty now with loss and sadness. But we must fill it with the joy and happiness that she brought to all of us.
    She will be dearly missed, but NEVER FORGOTTEN.

-Michael Bertozzi

I posted this on the Dublin thread a while back.

While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.
    --John Taylor

Funny Quotation of the Week (6/18-6/25): "Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid."
    Hedy Lamarr

This is such sad news. Although I only knew Babs through reading her posts on the BB, I wish I had known her in person. She obviously has touched many many people. My condolences to her friends and family.

It was standing room only in the chapel this morning.

We had tiny tiara lapel pins, courtesy of Anyplace Farm and the procession to the cemetary was truly of regal proportions.

Babs tied up traffic from Annandale to Alexandria, down I95 and around the beltway on her last ride.

I will always "love you best" and hold her close in my heart.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Oh.my.god.

I don't know what else to say, I got back into town today and hopped on the BB and ohmygod.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I knew her from the horse shows in VA and frying pan and mosbys and the like. I always loved talking to her because she was so warm and welcoming, it was like coming home.

I'll be there tonight, does anyone want to carpool in from DC?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

We borrowed Earl Spencer's tribute to Princess Diana and tweaked it a bit for Dee Dee just a few months ago. I think that with another tweak or two, it works for Babs:

Above all, we give thanks for the life of a woman we am so proud to be able to call our friend -- the unique, the amazing, the extraordinary and irreplaceable Babs, whose beauty, both internal and external, will never be extinguished from our minds.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I counted 70 real life horse and COTH friends at the ceremony today -- and there were likely more that I did not see or simply did not recognize. Many others were at the viewing last night. She was known and loved by so many.

I learned today that it was her cousin, Paris Smith "Smithy" who introduced Babs to horses. He is a farrier and horseman working in Northern Virginia and I met him at the Loudoun Benefit Horse Show this past weekend -- I had no idea he was part of the Babs network. I am grateful to him for making horses such an important part of her life so that she could become such an important part of mine.

Many of you have suggested that she hook up with Victor when she finishes her journey. Of course she knew him in real life, as she did so many people. There was rarely a person in the horse world or from the non-horsey community in Northern Virginia that she did not know or that she did not have only 2 degrees of separation from. I will miss trying to stump her in a game of "do you know..."

Lastly, I wanted to express my thanks to all of you who have called or written, here or in email, whether you knew her as Babs or as Kennett Square, to those of us who knew her. It has been a tremendous help to read these posts, and cry and grieve and remember most of all that she isn't gone as long as we remember her and laugh out loud.

Go Baby Go

[This message was edited by larosa90 on Jun. 20, 2003 at 01:13 AM.]

This always has been one of my favorite poems. For you Babo --

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be;
    In the soothing thoughts that spring
    Out of human suffering;
    In the faith that looks through death,
    In years that bring the philosophic mind.

--- Ode. Intimations of Immortality
    William Wordsworth, (1770-1850)

For those of you who may have been looking here and missed Moesha's very touching rememberance poem, here is the link to it.

For Babs from Moesha

One of those city that are big towns, real big!,San Antonio TX

Im comeing in late on this but when I first got here years ago she sent me an email telling me to not get down on myself. She was one of the first people to welcome me here. For those who don't know me Im CTT and severly dyslexic and spell very phoneticly. People made fun of me all the time calling me ignorant or a down right retard. For those who do know me know Im fare from any of that. I just have a probblem with spelling.

I think her letter went like this "CTT welcome! I heard a bit about you and your problem and if people have a problem with you I'll give them my .02 cents worth. Stick around" She lived up to that promiss.

I actualy was working on a letter to post today about how Im such a pack rat and keep so many of your emails. We have lost many good friends over the past year and It saddens me to think they are not here. I was going to title it "Old memories that keep on kicking"

We are the bigest family out there and for all who have been blessed with haveing that feeling knows that none of us are ever alone. I still get letters from time to time wondering if Im still alive. Here I am still kicking just busy with work and manageing a life.

For those who see me around you know I can be found in a nightly chat room one of the members here set up. I miss you all dearly and many of you I think about often. Some of you have impacted me in ways that made me make turns in my life. Snowbird made me strive to use my brain even when I felt like people would make fun of me, Weatherford made me feel like I ment something and for what she has done for me mentaly, I am due on a loan I can never repay. Portia if it wasn't for you I would still be that person afraid of shareing and would never had nerve to get past my fear. To all who jumped on the band wagon when I got craped on. As for Babs NO ONE CAN REPLACE HER! She has touched so many directly and indirectly. For her special whit and guidence we have all been touched and even become better striveing people. I think she knew that though, in the smiles and laughter we all shared thanks to her. I know she is with each and every one of us and for those who knew her, her lessons taught are now life lessons.

She is a person who would rather hear laughter than to see tears. Anyone have plans for year ends yet to mamorialize her. I think a year end trophy for her zone would be a good idea. For the rider who shows her quality in the world of horses with the love and compassion she bestowed on everyone. She deserves something like that in my opinion.

To all my life friends, you know who you are, Thanks for helping me live a better life and be a better person. You all are amazeing!

Charlotte Trippe

[This message was edited by CTT on Jun. 21, 2003 at 04:32 AM.]
    \"I\'m going to go see a horse about a man\" - Unknown

Wow Charlotte, that was beautiful. Glad to see ya around, sorry it has to be on such a sad thread http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Here are the Devilpups!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/angelgregory87

GO MARINES!!!!!!!! OORAH!!!
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

I was sick all week, so I only saw this last night. I just don't know what to say.

I only met her a few times, at local shows, at Mosby's and at FPP.

When I had a stupid crash at a Cavallo show, she was the first one to my side, making sure that I was OK, and then encouraging me not to worry about it, and giving me a leg up.

I was looking forward to showing her my 3 yo.

SHe always seemed so ALIVE. It just doesn't seem to sink in that she won't be there anymore.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Like many others, I never "knew" Babs except for her posts on the BB. I will miss her presence here. Thank you to whoever posted the link to her photo. She was a beautiful person, as her posts here on COTH always suggested.

Everyone's tributes are so wonderful.

Godspeed, Kennett Square/Babs! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif I've got a mare up there for you to ride who ALWAYS comes out of the turns "on fire!"

OMG! I had no idea! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I am so saddened to hear of Kennett Square's passing. I only knew her from this BB, but could tell from her posts, and how other BB'er wrote about her, that she was a special lady. My condolences to her friends, family, and students.

Come and visit the horses at: http://www.crosscreek.tk

devildog...

I tried to find your email address to send you an email..

I JUST saw the babies...OH MY GOSH!!!! WAHOO !! YIPEE!!!! GEEZ!!!!

Thanks for sticking around..I LOVE THOSE BABIES....I will babysit anytime..bring those little ones to sunny So Cal and we will go to Disneyland!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH Mickey and Minnie!!!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

http://www.foxpointefarm.com
    http://www.go-sho.org
    [url]http://www.horseshowbiz.com
    [url]http://www.ijumpsports.com

My, this is sad news.

I'm so glad to have met her and listen to her funny stories.
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

I truely do live under a rock. I had know idea who Kennett Square was other then this BB. I enjoyed reading her posts and wish her family and friends my prayers.