The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Minor rant - getting trashed by someone who has the details wrong

Yes, I KNOW I should let it go, and I probably will. Just blowing off some steam here.

A person who acquired a horse from us a few years back has now posted the horse's "story" online. I am OK with the horse being called a rescue, because we gave her away, but all the other details included are wrong (among them, the horse's condition upon receipt, and that we "dumped" the horse - if we hadn't found someone to take the horse, the horse would have been euthanized.) Fortunately, the owner has also spelled our name wrong, so it can't affect our reputation.

The new owner provides a GREAT home, and the horse doesn't have to worry about a thing. Those were the terms of giving the horse away. I have no beef with the owner, just the way the horse's story is being told and how we are portrayed.

But honestly - just frustrating. I paid the person money to help with transporting the horse! I don't think someone who was "dumping" a horse or didn't care would do that.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

It is annoying, and I sympathize. Keep your eyes open -- they might correct the spelling (especially if they read this thread!) and at that point it may become actionable.

The horses we have gotten from your farm have been in lovely condition and have nice dispositions to go with it!

I remember a few years ago I got in a PMU foal in the middle of winter. He hadn't been sold during the adoption period of the PMU placement org I worked with at the time, and I just couldn't let him face an uncertain future. I found a buyer/adopter for him before he even arrived -- in fact she found me. The agreement was that she would leave him with me for three months for me to do his initial ground training.

When she met him, he was mud from head to foot (arrived that way) and we didn't (still don't!) have hot water to really bathe him. Oh and don't forget he came in unhandled -- a big, drafty baby who didn't know his own strength. Add to that the, um, very not fancy nature of our place (converted cow barns). The woman to whom I sold him acted in every single encounter as if she was rescuing him from US. She brought a bunch of people with her to pick him up and they were all spanking clean and with shoes inappropriate for mud -- and they looked at us like we were scum.

Haha, she picked him up on the first spring-like day and he had had a bath (which he stood for like a champ). He walked out clean and shiny and as calm as you could imagine, and went right onto the trailer without batting an eye. Suddenly the friends were looking at the adopter like she had told them a pack of lies, instead of looking askance at us.

It felt good. But it didn't take away the sting of her other visits. People make all sorts of assumptions AND weave all kinds of stories to make themselves look or feel better. It's sad really.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

It's tough to turn the other cheek to ignorance sometimes. And trying to speak up to defend yourself can backfire as it just engages the morons to do battle with you.

Look what happened with the thread regarding the rescue contract. I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole!

If you feel the need to voice your side, I suggest doing it directly to the people who are misinforming the "world" of your position.

Otherwise, just take comfort in the this. Never argue with the ignorant. They'll beat you by experience.

Thanks, JoZ!!!

I'm not going to get involved or tell the other side, as the horse is OK and WILL be OK for as long as she's around. I don't like dischord, either. It just hurt my feelings!
    Why stretch the story? Why not say, this horse didn't work for the folks who had him/her, but s/he worked out for me just great?
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I know how hard it is, to let something of this nature resolve itself. A dear friend of mine was sort of left hanging for a filly, and then gifted the filly to be kind to that person. That person turned around, on a board they were both members of, and made it look as if the filly was given to her in horrid shape, and as if the giver, was a negilgent horse owner. It was quite the hot mess, sides were taken, I am sure you know the rest.

Once the dust settles so to speak in these situations, smart people figure out the truth. Sadly we all know a horse person,who can not tell the truth with out slanting the story to make themselves look, bigger, better, whatever. Who knows why.

Sooner or later people really do figure it out.

Good on you for finding the horse a good home. Shame on them for feeling they have to do this, this way.
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

Why stretch the story?
    Because everyone and their cousin wants to have a "rescue" and the worse they can make the story sound about the condition/circumstances around their horse...the better they think it will make them look. From both a "look at me and how selfless I was!" and from a "Look how fabulous a job I did improving the horse!"
    It's all a LOOK AT ME syndrom...and very prevelent online.
    Seems the internet, for many folks, was only invented to give them time in the spotlight...even if they have to invent a spotlight to shine on them.
    It would be nice if there was a world wide web definition of what constitutes an actual rescue.
    1) Auction purchases...not a rescue, it's an auction purchase
    2) Horse taken/bought/seized from a private home or barn that has neglected medical issues or starved...a rescue.
    3) Horse from a rescue...it *was* a rescue, but the rescue already rescued it.
    4) Feed lot/meat truck purchases...kinda not really a rescue because that feed lot of truck will replace that sold horse. So rescuing one to send a different one.
    5) Horse found dangling off the edge of a cliff and hauled back to safety...a rescue. Most definitely!
    6) Horse sold/given to someone else whilst the new owner just has different ideas of what type of care it should be given or what type of training it should be receiving...not a rescue.
    7) Horse tied to train tracks with speeding train coming, new owner fights off man with twirly mustach and evil laugh and unties horse...that's a rescue.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    7) Horse tied to train tracks with speeding train coming, new owner fights off man with twirly mustach and evil laugh and unties horse...that's a rescue.
    HAHAHAHAHA YEAH!! I've rescued a couple just like that at different times!!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

MistyBlue, you forgot one. While plenty of OTTB's are in dire need of a home before something bad happens to them, not every single horse who's set hoofie on the track is a "rescue" when purchased. Especially if they come off a farm out of a pasture, or if they've been of the track for 15 years.

Horse tied to train tracks with speeding train coming, new owner fights off man with twirly mustach and evil laugh and unties horse...that's a rescue.

...with previous owner in hysterics by the track, and you had to run uphill seven miles in the snow to get there...

I loved your list, MistyBlue!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Slew, I think you should let her know that you are aware that she is twisting the facts in public, and tell her to stop. It's a rotten thing for her to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    MistyBlue, you forgot one. While plenty of OTTB's are in dire need of a home before something bad happens to them, not every single horse who's set hoofie on the track is a "rescue" when purchased. Especially if they come off a farm out of a pasture, or if they've been of the track for 15 years.
    Hear hear! I have a few that meet that description and who are in excellent condition. It would piss me off mightily if I parted with them and some online yahoo describes them as a "rescue". I feel for the OP.

Don't paddle up stream....Karma will deal with them later.. You know the truth about your animals & transactions. People who know you, won't care about the rantings of others.

I'm sorry. I always have to think about what I say when I post about my old guy, it's so easy to slip into the "haven't I made a difference to this horse!" mentality.
    He wasn't a rescue, not by a long shot. And he certainly wasn't tied to the railroad tracks while Snidely Whiplash cackled with glee, LOL!

He just needed a new home where he was one of two, rather than being one of many, and the owner knew that and that is why he was free leased to me. I have the time and the money to spend on one old guy. The person who gave him to me is relieved and happy.

I can't apologize for someone who is so proud of what they have they don't realize they are insulting you or your care - just going to try to make sure I don't make the same error when I brag on my spoiled and happy old boy. And I'm probably anthropomorphizing how he feels too - he just likes getting fed treats and being left alone so he can eat in peace (and it took us a while to figure out how to do that in a pasture setting with a piggy pony!)
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I never liked the word 'rescue' and always want to ask the people if the dog in question (for me, it's usually dogs) was trapped in a burning building at the time. But I guess it's understandable. So many animal people are drama queens, and it seems like some of them are attracted to animals in large part because animals are notoriously bad at verbalizing opposing viewpoints Unlike children, who are quick to point out that unfortunate episode with the car door you may have accidentally shut on their hand (my mother swears it was an accident), animals make excellent witnesses for claims of great morality and self-sacrificing love.

If it's any comfort to the OP, I think a lot of people have gotten burned by the sort of person who spouts off about 'rescue' and 'abuse' at the drop of a hat, and have grown more suspicious of tales of great rescue drama.

I suppose as long as the type keeps your reputation from being tarnished...

While it is true that most things come out n the wash, once a reputation is down the crapper, it takes years to repair the damage.

bad things stick more in people's minds than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

ReSomething...Snidely Whiplash! That's the villain's name! I always forget that, thanks!

SmallChange:
    MistyBlue, you forgot one. While plenty of OTTB's are in dire need of a home before something bad happens to them, not every single horse who's set hoofie on the track is a "rescue" when purchased.
    Too true and an excellent addition. Especially when I hear it's a Canter rescue...Canter is an excellent organization, but the horses listed are sales from trainers...they're not being held at knife point.
    I also want to bang my head on the desk when I see "Rescued from the track, emaciated/skinny/neglected! And was probably abused because it acts up!"
    Um, no...that's called fit, not skinny. And fi usually equals energetic, not crazy from being beaten. Cracks me up when people comment about how unhealthy a fresh from the track & training OTTB looks...when it's probably the most fit it will ever be in it;s lifetime. Bloated hunter tick-fat is not healthy.

ETA: Just realized Snidely Whiplash is the *perfect* name for a little pony! Ya know how they love those stop-n-dumps!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to take it to heart. I think a lot of us have been victim to having our reputation tarnished- either willfully or unwittingly by the other party. Sometimes I think it is just part and parcel of horse ownership-and let's face it, many people are uber competitive about their knowledge, riding or horsekeeping skills. Unfortunatelyl,not many people have learned to build themselves up without tearing someone else down.

I remember quite a few years ago when Mother Theresa's intentions were questioned. Seriously, Mother Theresa?!! Even if you selflessly devote your life to helping others, someone still has to slam you!

I never thought about the rescue thing much-I've adopted from rescues, but I certainly don't take credit as one who has rescued the animal. Especially the OTTB-it's more like he was given the chance at a different career and I had the time and money to put into a prospect. But he was far from being mistreated or neglected!!

I did adopt a Corgi that was a breeding bitch at a puppy mill. I do tell people that she was a rescue because the neglect and abuse in her past has scarred her emotionally. I also tell the story so people have an understanding of how abusive puppy mills are.

The truth does have a way of working itself out in the end. If you stay honest and do the right thing, eventually people learn that. Sometimes it just takes awhile for everyone to notice.

If someone doesn't possess at least a little bit of humility, I tend not to listen to her much anyway.

Just realized Snidely Whiplash is the *perfect* name for a little pony!
    Absolutely.

I will tell you a little story that happened to me. It just showed me another way that people can be a$$****S.

I leased a Horse once to a person we will call D and not long after, D posted about some horses D know that where going to be shipped because the owner could not keep them. Well D got all righteous about the owner and how if she loved her horses she would not ship then. I didn't say anything because it wasn't the full story. Well 4 months after the lease started D called because D was not happy with the agreement. So I told D that I would come and get Horse. I show up to get Horse and Horse is under weight. Not bad but a 4 on the body scale. around 200+ less then when D got Horse.

Just because a person has an opinion doesn't mean then know anything.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Slew, I think you should let her know that you are aware that she is twisting the facts in public, and tell her to stop. It's a rotten thing for her to do.
    This is what I was thinking, only be much more subtle. Suppose she actually has no idea you are a reader of the board where she posted the drivvel. I might send her a note. If she was a neighbor, I might stop by to see the horse, and when she was chatting away with me, let her know you are a member of that board:

You: Man, she is doing so great, I can't tell you how knowing she is well taken care of makes me feel. She looks shiny, even with her winter coat!

Her: Oh, its been such a pleasure, she has just responded to everything, she's a happy girl, that's for sure. You know, thank you so much for giving her over to us, she's been nothing but a delight, watching her progress!

You: Oh, you're welcome, it was the best outcome for her, certainly. You know, I like to hear about her progress, periodically, I'm a member of "MBMBMD LKJLKjmumbles" bulletin board, online, and I saw the other day you are too. Lets keep in touch on the bulletin board, shall we?

Her: the color drains from her face...
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.