The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stock trailer or stock/combo? 14 or 16 foot?

I am considering either a Cornpro or Adams stock trailer. Either "plain" or preferably one with a front wall/dressing room area...possibly slant load gates too. I will be hauling only 1 horse most of the time, and a few times, a 2nd horse. The "main" horse is very easygoing, has ridden happily in stocks before.

The 16-footer seemed HUGE to me. Does anyone have a 14' and are you happy with it in either of the above configurations?

Finally, I have heard the usual nightmare stories about step-ups. My guy handled them fine but what's the deal with horses supposedly going under the trailer, cutting ligaments (shouldn't they have shipping boots on anyway? Mine would...) I'm sure it's like all trailer "stuff" - many, many opinions out there.

But most curious about the size. I prefer a 14' but does anyone feel that is too small from experience? Thanks

Practically all trailers here are step up stock trailers and I have, in 40 years, heard or ONE accident, where a horse slipped on asphalt and cut himself on one back leg, under the trailer.

That was a shop made trailer that didn't have the normal bigger pipe for the back frame, that will keep a horse from getting cut and the one rare horse that slipped.

I would go with 16', as you can put four horses in there, two in front and two behind, if you ever need to.
    16' is standard for stocktrailers here, although we have had the rare 14' and have one 12', with a small 4' space in front for tack or a few calves and two horses behind.

Go look at what people where you are, doing what you do with their horses use and ask them why.