The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need your thoughts

Seeing so many people asking for evaluating a pedigree or a horse's conformation, I decided that I can add my boy to the list
    So he is a SF stallion, from a great maternal line of jumpers, he is 15.2 hands (my mistake, he's 16.2), born in 2005, is a jumper and his sire competed in Grand Prix at CSIO and CSI5*.
    What do you like, what you don't like, do not hesitate cause I can handle it.

This is not an advertisement, horse is not for sale and he's on another continent.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3641/roif.jpg
    Last edited by andy.smaga; Jan. 8, 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: corrected the height
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

I like him a lot, could have a more attractive head with a bigger eye and for commercial considerations another 3 inches in height.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

YUM. And can I photoshop that beautiful background on every conformation picture I take from here on please? (I'm kidding).

I totally agree with Edgar's comments, actually. The head is a bit too big to be "pretty." So really, pretty superficial. His height would be an issue for me, just because I'm very tall.

I'd take him though

What are your plans for him? Bloodlines?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I'm bad at conversions... he is 167cm and that is in fact 16.2 hands.
    I agree about the head, the SF didn't pay a lot of attention to the "beauty" until very recent years.

I will tell more about bloodlines later as I don't want you to be influenced.

He did the 4 y/o "Cycle Classic" and was graded Elite, the highest level on the finals.
    He will do the 5 y/o this coming season.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling

I agree about his head but would also like him to have a more elegant neck. But the rest is very nice, He looks quite athletic to me.

Joe

Being a Holsteiner guy, I would like a slightly longer back. As a SF he is just right. I am being critical ofcourse because he is a stallion. He is a very nice animal. You should be quite proud.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

IMHO, his only flaw is his slightly less attractive head.

What a lovely jumping type! I am sure he will do very well.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I'm not pro, but I don't mind his head. I am a bit of a pro as photos go though and this is an excellent exposure! so maybe I'm blinded by the beauty of the whole thing. In any case this is frameable LOL!

Since I love SFs, he is quite a hunk. The head is quite typical for SFs. Once he makes it to the elite upper level competitions, no one will care about his head. Maybe just a little longer in the back. Any hints on his bloodlines?

Andy, I think he is beautiful. I find him to be very well balanced. I also agree the picture is stunning. But should you forsake him for another, I would be happy to hide him in my barn.

Thanks for the nice comments, makes me proud.

His mare line is the one of Baloubet du Rouet, his mother is by Galoubet himself and next mother is by Narcos.
    Sire is Luccianno by Burggraaf (Holst) out of a SF mare by Almé.
    A quite nice SF pedigree.
    45% TB blood.

Full pedigree: http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=366865
    Rudyard Kipling

I love him! And while his head might be big I tend not to mind those things when breeding for jumpers. If breeding for halter classes, well then something to consider. I love his overall balance and how he "fits".

I have a filly with a big head and know idea where it came from because it wasn't mom or dad. She has a big white blaze which is about the nicest thing you can say about it. My husband says she has a head like a bale of hay.

Good luck with him! Are you breeding with him?

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Oh I like him! Love those SF's

I agree that the SF's are not the prettiest of the Warmbloods, but they have INCREDIBLE jumps, and super temperaments. The Selle Francais stallion I was riding for a little bit wasn't 'pretty'... but he had three super gaits, a fabulous jump, and an incredible temperament.

I don't mind his head for his body type... it fits him. Lovely horse.

Do you have any more photos of him you can share?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Default I love him too

oh....and it seems he is bred pretty well too I LOVE the short back, there are a lot more longish backs than short, so I think that is a BIG plus as a sire thing to look at. What are your breeding plans for him, will someone in the US handle his semen? Is there any video we can enjoy??? Congrats on a really nice colt.

I like him plenty enough to say good let's see him in locomotion and jumping. My favorite traits are front legs, pasterns and hoof angles which are just about perfect. Back looks strong which follows his breeding (Galoubets have well constituted backs for the most part). My personal preference is for his kind of croup, but flatter versions work well over fences too.

I can't tell a thing about hocks or stifles (and I prefer to judge stifles under locomotion anyway). Shoulder is probably on the more angled side of the population.

The whither-to-neck and head give away his breeding. Both are very common in his lines, and both are primarily cosmetic. The most important things in the head are the brain, mouth and eyes. For competition or riding for pleasure, if those are bad, it doesn't matter what the head looks like, and if those are good, it also doesn't matter what the head looks like (at least to the rider when sitting on the horse). My stallion also damsire Galoubet has a similar plain head. For French breeding, his head is very acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffiro Farm View Post

The most important things in the head are the brain, mouth and eyes. For competition or riding for pleasure, if those are bad, it doesn't matter what the head looks like, and if those are good, it also doesn't matter what the head looks like (at least to the rider when sitting on the horse). My stallion also damsire Galoubet has a similar plain head. For French breeding, his head is very acceptable.
    If you are breeding for hunters and he passes along that head it's a deal breaker.

I have a video, but you must understand that this is a 4 y/o "Cycle Classique" that mean that we try to keep the horse happy with his jumps and we don't try to have them fully under the right frame, we will do that during his 5 and 6 y/o campaigns.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esc2Irwx8U8

He will be bred by the French National Stud, they asked for him and it's a nice move for a young stallion, he will do only fresh semen and hopefully meet about 30 or 40 mares.
    Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    If you are breeding for hunters and he passes along that head it's a deal breaker.
    I was referring to jumper breeding which is his pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    I have a video, but you must understand that this is a 4 y/o "Cycle Classique" that mean that we try to keep the horse happy with his jumps and we don't try to have them fully under the right frame, we will do that during his 5 and 6 y/o campaigns.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esc2Irwx8U8

He will be bred by the French National Stud, they asked for him and it's a nice move for a young stallion, he will do only fresh semen and hopefully meet about 30 or 40 mares.
    I was not actually requesting a video, but thanks. I was saying that if I were evaluating the horse, he would be plenty good enough to look at the next important factors. There is not anything that would rule him out for me to use or to be interested.

Thank you for all your comments, I really appreciate.

I don't want to abuse, but next time I will present you my favorit, he's 6 y/o and I hope he will continue to move to the top.
    Rudyard Kipling