The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy GA HORSE NEWS: Fayette Horse Found With Arrow In Head -UPDATE Boy Sentenced 7-9

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22118676/detail.html

FAYETTE COUNTY, Ga. -- A horse is recovering after undergoing major surgery to remove arrows lodged in its body. The horse’s owner said the injuries are the result of animal cruelty.

Misty was standing near a fence on a farm when a neighbor driving by noticed she had arrows stuck in her.

Although a veterinarian worked on her for about four hours, she’s still not out of the woods.

“It was a terrible act of cruelty,” said Misty's owner, Nancy Padovano.

Someone shot 8-year-old Misty with arrows early Sunday morning. Misty was on her owner's farm in Fayette County when she was shot.

“Somebody surrounded her and just hit her with all the ammo they must’ve had,” said Padovano.

One arrow went straight though the mare’s neck. Another arrow lodged in her spine and a third came to rest in the side of her head.

“I slowed down and realized that something really was very wrong,” said neighbor Rachel Byrd.

Byrd said she was driving past the farm Sunday and noticed the arrows sticking out of Misty.

“She was scared to death. She wouldn’t let us catch her. You could tell in her eyes that she was in a lot of pain and she was very scared,” said Byrd. “Being a horse person, it was difficult to see because I don’t understand how, how a person could find that fun or entertaining."

The Padovanos rescued Misty three years ago and say she’s been a gentle, friendly horse ever since. Many in the community would like to know who shot her.

“I think it’s very, very, very important because more than anything I think they need to pay for it,” said Byrd.

“I just thought the world should know that this cruelty happens and we have to stop it," said Padovano.

The vet said even if Misty recovers from this, she could still suffer from bone disease.

Jingles for Misty!!!
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Jul. 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

couldn't hit the plastic deer, eh....

At a loss for words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

WTF is WRONG with people?!?!?
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I saw this on the news this morning and was MAD! The poor mare looks awful. I hope they find out who did this. Jingles for the mare.

Noon news said that there is now a $1,000 reward for tips on who did it. Sure hope $$$$ talks.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Default Frightening

Ok, I live one county over from this one and this completely freaks me out. I too saw the story and could not believe it. I live in a no-hunt horse community but believe me, I have seen trucks and men in camo where they shouldn't be.

Obviously not a mistake for a deer or turkey, a deliberate act of cruelty. Lets all hope they find the bastard(s) that did this.

I'd fry 'em.

I saw that on the news last night. I sure hope they catch the person who did it. That was obviously done on purpose.

What a vile act.

My guess is, some punk got a bow for Christmas and thought he'd go try it out on a moving target.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

This crap makes my blood boil. If someone did that to any of my animals, I'd go out on a real hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Noon news said that there is now a $1,000 reward for tips on who did it. Sure hope $$$$ talks.

I think a few gallons of white liqueur would work better, but then I am a cynic.

Jingles for the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Not the law, but one of us with a bow & arrow. Same arrows, same locations on the criminal's own body. Works for me.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Not the law, but one of us with a bow & arrow. Same arrows, same locations on the criminal's own body. Works for me.
    Plus one between the legs to prevent this degenerate from producing more of his ilk.

Please - those in the area - when they find the person responsible, please let us have contact info for the appropriate people - prosecuting attorney, sherriff, whatever, so that they can understand how outraged people are and we can only hope will result in the worst possible sentence.

It is a shame that the worst possible sentence they will likely get is not what they deserve, but at the very least full financial restitution for all costs incurred, payment to the owners for suffering, and highly supervised, unpaid volunteer work at a rescue for a lengthy period of time after the hefty jail sentence.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

This is why I hate people! And am glad my horses are in a secluded area with people (bo's) on property at all times. But even still...its scary. People suck. Sending huge jingles for Misty, poor baby. Lets arrow the perps!

Seriously? Humans can be so effing twisted.
    -Jessica

Jingles for Misty!

Is Bill Neuman still involved in the human society there? If so, he'll be on the case.

Offering a large reward is the way to catch this guy. People in Atlanta turned in their own relatives for 10000 or more for murders of humans. So the bigger the reward the better, as people value animals less than they do humans..........sometimes.

Or you could hire the retired Atlanta Homicide Detective who lives in that county and works part time in the clerk's office. Lou can solve this case with some funding for a reward.

What a horrible act of cruelty!

Is the mare paralyzed by having one arrow in the spine? It sounds perfectly awful.

Burn in hell you evil Sons of Female Dogs!

May the worst of the mexican two step be upon you immediately. May you die of exsanguination by all of the worlds ticks!

Poor poor horse!

I grew up in Fayette County and that just makes me sick!
    Y'all ain't right!