The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

TripleTake Guest

Default would any trainers in MD, Va or SC consider..?

Would any trainers in Maryland, Virginia, or South Carolina consider doing like a 2 week training/lesson thing over the spring/summer? I'm not sure how to explain it, but i'll try.

Like, my horse and I travel to where ever you are for two weeks or so. Get lessons everyday//every other day, attend one small event or show sometime. Getting to ride other horses would be nice as well . Basicly just for more miles for me and my horse.

For money and help working around the barn? Basicly like a working student, but i'll pay also, and wont last as long .

I know more details would need to be worked out, but would anyone consider it? I would prefer it deal with eventing, but might consider hunters or jumpers also...

I've done that a few times and it's worked out well, but I'm in NC. :-)

Jennifer

We have also done that. Our "campers" stay for a week or so and then go to a competition. It is done . We are no where near you, though.

TripleTake Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    I've done that a few times and it's worked out well, but I'm in NC. :-)

Jennifer
    Darn!

I have people come stay at our house all the time.

And we're spoiled with the maryland horse trials right across the street.

To put it mildly.. we're fun.

It's something I would do. Close to the majority of the events in Area II. Have a lot of horses I could put you on!

Just out of curiosity, why is NC out? We're right in the middle! :-)

Jennifer

I don't personally know the folks at Yellow Rose Eventing but know of some folks who moved to their place. I know the facility and the horse trials which are right across the street - both are top notch. Not only is a wonderful event venue across the street but the facility is also conveniently located w/in close proximity to many other good event venues (Waredaca, Rubicon, Seneca Valley, etc) - several 30 to 1 hour drive. As far as I'm concerned you really cannot beat the location. If you could work something out w/ them, I don't think you would be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I don't personally know the folks at Yellow Rose Eventing but know of some folks who moved to their place. I know the facility and the horse trials which are right across the street - both are top notch. Not only is a wonderful event venue across the street but the facility is also conveniently located w/in close proximity to many other good event venues (Waredaca, Rubicon, Seneca Valley, etc) - several 30 to 1 hour drive. As far as I'm concerned you really cannot beat the location. If you could work something out w/ them, I don't think you would be disappointed

Thank you for the kind words! Next time you're in the neighborhood stop and say hello!

I've done it and look forward to doing it again! I have XC schooling courses 10 minutes away, and I'm less than 1.5 hours from Loch Moy, Waredaca, and CDTCA, and about 45 minutes from Morven, Surefire, and Rubicon.

I also did a three day mini-camp last year for a T3D competitor. (She did very well :->)
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford

Thumbs up

Yventer would give you a great time! Thumbs up for Yvonne....you'd definitely get your money and times' worth with her. Beautiful place, too!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I think most trainers would be more than happy to do something like that! I know we would do it in a heartbeat as long as we had room. It would almost be like a little, intense, one-on-one camp!

Default Bonnie Mosser

I would think that Bonnie Mosser would be a great pick to!! I would also put a vote in for Mogie Berdan Muller she just left for Aiken today and is in MD the rest of the year
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

I did this for a full month several years ago. Basically I was like a working student, except since I was paying, I didn't *have* to work. In addition to riding lessons almost every day, there were additional lectures and practice such as braiding and farrier work.

I would choose somewhere that has a solid working student program set up, so that they're used to teaching people in addition to horses. Not every place is, and if the trainers aren't used to explaining what they're doing with each horse and why, you won't learn as much.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Try Caroline Dowd in VA- she is in Eagle Rock about 30 minutes from the Horse Center-she is AWESOME-her website is www.carolinedowd.com or pm me for her phone number.

I'd also give a thumbs up to Yvonne Lucas and Yellowbritches places - both are also extremely conveniently located - and have talented trainers to boot. Hard to pass up a couple of places that are in probably the best location(s) for eventing...

Default yellow rose rules

I can tell you about Yellow Rose. The facility is great with a a nice jumper course on the farm and Loch Moy right across the street. And Katie is such a sweetie! She is very knowledgable about xc and stadium. She is very patient with students ( like me when I get worried!) and she has a calming effect if she rides your horses too. I can recommend her for a fun week of training
    Good luck in finding a fun trainer
    Every day I learn how little I know when it comes to dressage!