The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ex-racer Sticks Tongue Out

Hi guys! I'm working with an ottb that sticks her tongue out all the time. She can feel pretty soft and reaching into the bit, but then the tongue will just be hanging a little out on one side. She's always done it, so I'm thinking at the track she maybe had her tongue tied down? She doesn't have a ton of training on her right now, but I'd like to try for a training level show this spring. Anyone fixed the tongue thing before? Will it go away on it's own as I work more getting her to accept the bit? Or should I try different bits? Or anything else? She had a loose ring french link and did it in that, so I switched to a fat eggbutt snaffle, and she still does it. She has had her teeth done, it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

How old is the darling?

Well, If I remember right my sister's TB cross did the same thing as a greeny. She was told to crank the nose band etc, it did not work.

Best thing to do is to ride her correctly and see what happens. She might have a low palate, I seem to recall it's not unusual for TBs, so maybe the french link would be best, or not...who knows, I know of one lady her TB went best in a lightweight snaffle...loose ring, too...

If she isn't using the tongue as indicator to bee seen from miles away I would not panic - just yet.

You have to consider there isn't a whole lot of finessing on the track.

Good luck with your new horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

read this thread and re mouth her
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=223453

Thanks for posting the link GSL. I'm a Thomas1 fan, and this is a timely topic as I'm getting ready to start my filly and I want to do it RIGHT! I'm taking my time, none of the rush-rush mentality that often befalls TBs for racing.

Definitely change the bit and don't be afraid to try a mullen mouth either. I fixed that issue with my OTTB in one ride simply by changing the bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and GLS, that link is great!! I think I will try changing the bit around and see if there's something she's more comfortable in, maybe the french link was better, or even something else. I have lots of bits so I will play around. It sounds like to key is to get her to move her mouth more and play with the bit. Maybe I will try giving her a mint or sugar cube to munch on while the bit is in her mouth, or try a Happy Mouth or the peppermint bit wipes or something like that. Then, of course, time, patience, and hope for the best! I'm just glad no one is saying it's hopeless!!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

gls and Thomas1 have some wonderful links!!

Seriously - about the peeps - my horse does not like to salivate and keeps wanting to wipe it off on a foreleg. Not only does a peep encourage salivation, it helps him not mind it so much.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues