The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Question spinoff: how to grow out bangs?

I think I really want to grow my bangs out.

They are pretty fine already, and sort-of textured. I can gel them and brush back...

But when it rains and I'm in-and-out, they are horrible. Both my jobs require getting wet sans baseball cap, *and* supposedly looking professional... So I'm thinking NO bangs is better.

But how to get from here to there?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

There is no GOOD way, you just have to do it.

I just grew mine out recently after my young new hairdresser told me "only older people have bangs." At 38, that was all the motivation I needed. It was aggravating for a month or so but I got used to pushing them out of my eyes and now my "bangs" have grown out to about mouth level, I just push them back behind my ear. I have long fine hair.

Good luck!

I'd suggest using bobby pins to pin them back out of the way or just brushing them to the side.

If you part your hair when it's wet, and pin the bangs on each side so they're with the rest of the hair, it won't take long to train them to fall to the side
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Pomade is your friend. When I was growing mine out I used a pomade on the ends to get them to blend in with and stick to the rest of my hair. That plus hairspray did the trick, even in humid FL. You just need to get them to the point you can put them behind your ears, then you're set.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

[QUOTE=pintopiaffe;4579556]But when it rains and I'm in-and-out, they are horrible. Both my jobs require getting wet sans baseball cap, *and* supposedly looking professional... So I'm thinking NO bangs is better.
    QUOTE]

If you are going in and out in the rain, no hair looks good! Why can't you wear a cap or rain hat or carry an umbrella?

I actually had my hair cut with bangs earlier this week to cover forehead wrinkles. I thought, "Bangs or Botox???" Chose bangs.

I have really really thick hair, so growing mine out was a nightmare. I ended up using a load of hair mousse stuff and bobby pins ..... thankfully I was in 7th grade at the time, so looked fairly awkward already.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

They CAN look cute at every stage! Look at Reese Witherspoon- she looked great the whole time. Do you part your hair on the side? Is your hair straight or curly? Do you have other layers in your hair?

A couple of ideas- If your bangs are on the long side already (below your eyebrows or longer), try changing up the part- part it in the middle and then give your hair some waves/texture with a curling iron. It will help if you can get a really good hair cut with some layers in front to help blend the bangs into the rest of your hair. Or, you can lift the bangs up, back comb them for some lift and pin them back on top of your head. If you part your hair on the side, try a thick headband with the bangs swept into it on the side, then back-comb the crown of your head.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I know they *can* look good... we have a girl at the ED with THE BEST half-grown-out bangs... they are around cheekbone length and so... cool.

I have baby-fine hair, and no layers. Got it cut in a reverse wedge late summer for job interviews--it's just long enough to ponytail/fakebun at nape of neck for work.

Can't do layers as it's GOT to be either boy-short (which looks awful) or long enough to get in a super-neat-slicked-back bun... when it's longer, frenchbraid etc.

Work is PD & Security... so no hats. Well, I can wear a ballcap at the PD in the worst weather, but then the problem is, of course, hathead. And in my experience, no bangs is easier to fluff and look semi-presentable than bangs *after* a hat... though really, you're right, NOTHING looks good in the rain or post-hat...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Can you wear a headband or scarf? That would look cute to pull the bangs back or to the side but also ok with the bottom of your hair pulled into a bun.