The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Anyone have Grand Prix Aquasport paddock boots or Grand Prix leather half chaps?

I want to know how they are like because I might buy them soon...
    Do they last long and are they comfy and really waterproof?
    They look very pretty but I do believe that they don't have spur rests (which is not really a problem though)

As for the half chaps...
    I am getting the Grand Prix Leather Half chaps (not the Elite ones, though). Do they last long?

I want to buy things that will last a long time and have great value. As long as these things will last and look good, I don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Have the half chaps--not sure which version, as I bought them used, but they are very nice and are holding up well.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have both the paddock boots and the LL 1/2 chaps. They are worth the money

I had the Aquasport paddock boots. They were great and yes, they were waterproof. I wore them long enough and often enough for the soles to separate from the boots and the leather to turn grey (they started out black). I now have a pair of Ariats and a pair of Sergios and wish I still had my old Aquasports.

I have the boots and really like them. They are quite waterproof... they are not Wellies, but they keep more water out than the normal paddock boot! And they are quite comfy. I have had mine for over a year and they are just starting to turn grey. I usually go through a pair of boots a year, but I think that these are going to last longer. The only thing is that the zipper is starting to fall down when I walk around in them, not all the time though. Overall, they are nice.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I am on my second pair of Aquasport paddocks and love them. They are comfortable, nice looking and perform as advertised with respect to being waterproof. If you are constantly in water (wash rack, etc) your feet are going to be wet due to water coming in thru the zipper portion, but the leather itself and sole do resist water well and kept my feet dry and comfy through fairly hard use.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    . . . If you are constantly in water (wash rack, etc) your feet are going to be wet due to water coming in thru the zipper portion, . . .
    They also make a lace-up version.

I have the zipper boots and they are indeed water proof. I'm in rain and mud all the time and have always been dry. I got them this time last year to replace my old Grand Prix paddock boots that had lasted NINE years. I'm confident these won't make it another 6 months, as they are already looking pretty awful. When I first picked them up I thought the quality was no where near as good as when I got my last pair all those years ago, and I guess I was right but IMO its worth it anyway. I hate Ariat.

I had the half chaps for years... they were fantastic! Held up great and very nice leather.
    .:: a n d i ::.

Currently horseless and hating it!
    Missing two very special horses - Maddy & Perry

I wore them long enough and often enough for the soles to separate from the boots and the leather to turn grey (they started out black).
    Do you think that if I polish/take care of boots every week they will not turn grey soon?

Default aquasport and half chaps

they are great quality and you can get semi custom chaps.
    i have 2 pairs of each, one set brown and one set black.
    funny as i used to just buy grand prix prestige paddock boots, dover sent me aquasport by mistake and i decided to try them.
    i have a narrow foot so the last is excellent for me. also my legs are slim and its difficult to find super tall slim half chaps without going custom.
    my brown are hershey choc with a cream piping....stunning
    on a chestnut and my black have fabulous chocolate suede fringe. so fun and great on a seal brown horse.
    the boots hold up well in manure and such with a thicker sole.
    track trash
    resources for recycled racehorses

I have Grand Prix leather half chaps for about 3 years now and they are holding up really well and still in great shape. I have had them repaired once, on the inside seam. I ride mostly now with my tall boots, but the chaps are of superior quality and recommend them.

I go through 2 pairs a year of GP half chaps and I am currently trying to find a new brand to wear. They are too soft and are beautiful, but simply do not last if you ride multiple horses every day.

Anyone have suggestions? The Ariat's don't fit me at all....
    www.jazcreek.com
    Specialized Equine Rehabilitation and Fitness in the Wine Country

By the way, are the paddock boots narrow for your feet or are they nice and roomy?

I found them to run rather narrow and maybe a half size small.

babygreenqueen, where did you order the semi-custom chaps from?

Love 'em. They do run narrow. I am getting ready to retire mine after 2 1/2 years of abuse- mud, washracks, benign neglect. The leather is still nice, and they'd be water proof, but the toe cap is seperating. I'll probably get a pair of those Tingley rubbers and keep wearing them on muddy days.

I've decided to commit to wearing my rubber boots in the wash rack and muddy fields to preserve my new pair.

I am on my second pair of GP half chaps and will not buy another pair. They streach too much and become baggy in a short time. I only bought a second pair because I thought maybe the first ones I bought were too loose to begin with but my new ones were super tight and have streached too.

Mine have never stretched to the point they would be baggy. I also bought mine crazy tight.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    I am on my second pair of GP half chaps and will not buy another pair. They streach too much and become baggy in a short time. I only bought a second pair because I thought maybe the first ones I bought were too loose to begin with but my new ones were super tight and have streached too.

I buy the GP half chaps because they are the most comfortable and I like them best. That being said - I ride multiple horses and they do NOT last. The suede ones are even worse than the regular leather. Be prepared to have them restiched. And they do stretch out. I just buy two pairs a year. I hate the Ariats and the Treds are too thick for my taste.

I have the half chaps! There my favourite ones. I just bought a new pair yesturday! My old ones lasted me almost 2 years, but I use them a lot so for the average person I would say 2 1/2 years.
    "Put forth your best, and you've already won."